5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising little light.
Published 18 months ago by Mr Niel Stewart

First I will confirm I bought the product and am not associated with anyone selling it or making any products I mention.

How we rate things depends on our expectations. I take my expectations from my image of Bear and the product description only.

The description calls this a survival tool. I will come back to this claim in the conclusion...
Published 20 months ago by 007

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising little light., 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light (DIY & Tools)
So this tiny light kicks out a surprising punch of light. Very pleased. 3 modes, full, part and flash. Light turns off after 5-6 minutes to save battery if it gets turned on by accident. Battery life is rated around 3:30 hours (not tested it). It takes 2 watch type batteries which can be replaced by the user by undoing 4 small Phillips screws. It's tiny and sits on my keys no problem. Kicks out enough light to be practical and useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, bright light, useful lanyard., 20 Jun 2012
This review is from: Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light (DIY & Tools)
I've had similar products attached to key-fobs etc before. They have been OK but over time the flimsy on off switch breaks or they turn on easily in your pocket and battery runs flat and light can be dim. I saw these Gerber made, Bear Grylls branded, replacements advertised at 5.00 each so ordered 5 of them. Now, they are a pretty basic piece of kit but, nonetheless, the higher quality over the units I had previously is very evident. Strongly made, very bright light with 3 very easy to use settings, useful lanyard attached. Very happy with them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable value and reasonable performance for occasional use, 7 Nov 2012

IMPROVEMENTS SUGGESTED:

Update after many months: now my main gripe is this switches on in my (loose jacket) pocket a lot. The battery has gone. This is despite the auto turn off after 5 mins. The button should be less easy to knock.

A mega flaw is not having a glow in the dark bit on it so you can locate it in the dark! Very simple, but would be a life-saver if dropped when off, or if trying to turn it on in a dark situation!

Although it seems shower and water resistant, the maker have avoided stating anything about protection from water so they can avoid liability I guess. To be a true emergency tool or go anywhere item as we expect from BG stuff, I want waterproof. It's strange because BG himself says on his own website sales page for it "They weigh nothing yet can make a critical difference if your main torch or kit gets WET or lost! (attach them to your key-ring or back pack and thank me when when the unexpected happens!)"

Much longer battery life would make this a lot more interesting and a true emergency tool, the sort of thing I'd expect from BG again.

For those using the flashing light for visibility, eg riding a bike, the light switches off after 5mins so you might forget it has turned off as you cycle or walk near a road ect. You will need to remember to turn it on. Not so safe. But because of the low battery life it is clear it is not intended for this use except a one-off occasion where your usual flashing light is un-uesable.

LIKES:

I must admit that I mercilessly pulled at the line and it withstood the abuse. So whatever it is attached to will break before the line does. Impressive.

Very compact size, yet easy to manipulate and hold.

Nice rubberized grip marked button easy to use with gloves on.

Not feather light, but very light considering its strong construction, which will allow it to get stepped on or dropped with zero drama.

Turns off after 5mins so if knocked it will not drain battery on the sly in your pocket or backpack.

The light is good to work with close range nearly to medium range, nice white light.

The shape of the sides means you can stand it on a flat surface it's side and illuminate upwards or down if you were reading a map or working on something fiddly for example. Nice touch!

ALTERNATIVES/COMPETITORS

At this price range (I managed to get mine for 8, bear in mind USA reviewers are paying that figure in dollars so it's much better value for them) there are no good alternatives that I am aware of. But is it a reasonable survival tool or something to use day to day. I think it does not completely satisfy either because of battery life, and the former because of waterproofing and no glow in the dark mark. Thankfully the batteries can be replaced easily so that's a plus, although they will run out a bit too often for my liking, I will still enjoy having this handy item to locate things in the winter darkness or as a back up, although I'd rather have two or three as a back up than one if going out into the wild. But it's not waterproof.

But the Petzl E-lite is certainly the other choice, and with its higher price (more than double!) comes a LOT higher specification. If you know anything else worth considering please leave a comment I want to try a few of these type of products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Turns on too easily, 19 Feb 2014
Mr. H. C. Griffiths (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light (DIY & Tools)
I have owned many keyring torches over the years and I'm always on the lookout for a good quality design.
This BG one is fairly good except that it has one major design flaw.
First the good points: It is of decent brightness; the battery is easy to change when flat; it seems fairly robust; and its main clever feature seems to be that it has the ability to auto-turn-off after a minute or so (whatever the duration is) thus saving the battery if accidentally left turned on.
However the main problem is that it turns on too easily by accident in your pocket or even in your hand if the button is gently pressed by a stray finger. All the designers need to do to remedy this problem is to make the button smaller, stiffer and perhaps recess it into the body slightly so it it becomes highly unlikely to turn on by accident. I keep mine on my keyring and I frequently find it turned on by accident just by handling my keys as I leave the car or approach the front door. This is such a shame because if it wasn't for the button turning on too easily I would happily have given this product 5 stars instead of 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little light, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light (DIY & Tools)
This little light packs a lot of power! Very bright and clear and easy to use! I wish that it started on the lower light setting instead of the highest one, but that's a small complaint. Definitely great for a zipper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone needs one!!, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light (DIY & Tools)
This is SUCH a nifty little torch and SO powerful.. I love the way it has three modes: Dimmish but good; Bright and brill; and flashing for... Help?? Or to say.... 'I'm here!!' Absolutely great as you don't even know you've got it on your zip pull on your waterproof!! what more could one want from something so tiny and convenient??

5.0 out of 5 stars ммм, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light (DIY & Tools)
Lovely quality flashlight. Always with me now. Very pleased with the purchase. Great item from a good brand. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful to find stuff in the Cinema, 6 Mar 2014
CjW "chris" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light (DIY & Tools)
You know when the film finishes and they haven't remembered to switch the lights on at the Odeon?

Well this light on a keyring is great to find hats and coats, plus handbags etc in the dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerber Micro Torch, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light (DIY & Tools)
A very useful tiny torch that fits well on a key ring with a strong light and good battery life. This is the forth that I have bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light (DIY & Tools)
I Purchased The Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light For A Gift And It's Great And Really Well Made And Bright.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›