4.0 out of 5 stars This book is something of a Revelation
I really wanted to give this book 5 stars because it offers so much insight, so many valuable lessons that we can literally apply to our own lives. I felt like I was having a revelation while reading.

Published 8 months ago by wade

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great writing but a lot of speculation
Published on 20 Mar 2012 by Mr. N. Moffatt

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is something of a Revelation, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One (Kindle Edition)

However, the guided meditation exercise that this book is leading must be purchased at an extra cost. What's more, it's just too long to be practical. At one and a quarter hours it's very difficult to find this free uninterupted time every day and is very difficult to stay in the state for this length of time. And I can't say I really got much out of these meditation sessions.

Nonetheless, I got so much out of reading this book that I am learning to apply in my own way. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 20 July 2013
I bought and read this book about 2 months ago and I wanted to wait before I wrote a review as so many self help and transform-your-life books buoy up your motivation but the techniques don't stick or become less effective with time. Not this book! I am still implementing the meditations and ideas into my life 2 months later and seeing amazing results. I read a lot of books in this kind of genre and can say this this is possibly the most significant book I have read in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book blew my mind, wow, 27 Jun 2014
If you liked "What the bleep do we know" you will love this one. But in this one you get to be practical: the how and why of meditation (how to connect more efficiently to the quantum field!). Well structured he takes you from understanding the why to the how of getting the most out of life and getting your external and internal world in synch. This was a real page turner for me because it doesn't happen every day that someone is able to explain in simple terms why some aspects of religion and spirituality have a measurable scientific basis; but this is not a book about religion, it is about hard science and how/why meditation works. In cognitive psychology terms it is about how to move from having an external locus of control (the "bad one" - why do bad things always happen to me?-mentality) to an internal locus of control (the "good one" - how do I cause negative things to happen to me?). But the book is also packed with all kinds of surprises like: the quantum field is waiting for you to ask for help; why being grateful is a good state of mind; how meditation puts you into contact with the quantum field where all the magic happens; and my favourite - how to give up being trapped in the past or living for the future by being in the moment: now. A liberating book

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great writing but a lot of speculation, 20 Mar 2012
Mr. N. Moffatt (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
The well established idea behind this book is that we serve ourselves better to retrain our brains away from bad habits towards beneficial ones. We are beset with habits that frequently work against us. And no one normally tells us that we can create new habits literally at will. Nor that if we try, we will not only feel awkward but will be readily drawn back to the old habits since we do not `feel ourselves'. Dispenza combines a number of concepts, such as the `law of attraction' and meditation into a coordinated plan to become what you want, overcoming such problems. .

The route he takes is a mix of insightfulness and an uncritical reliance on distorted quantum mechanics ideas and that `law of attraction'. It is a shame that he does so - and overtly expects you to embrace these ideas with the same unquestioning attitude - because a lot of his insights are well written and will be revelatory to many readers.

For those unaware of this `law of attraction', it is a concept covered in (too) many books that extrapolates the concept that we create our own destinies to one where what we visualise for deeply enough will magically manifest. The extrapolation that Dispenza employs is to translate the microscopic quantum effect of observer on the observed to the macroscopic world, then linking it into a `higher dimensional field of information" which is frequently describes as intelligent energy.

This intelligent energy will grant your visions - good and bad. So if you forecast a bad future that will manifest, in spite of your necessary desire for a better life. Quite how this blind response can be seen as intelligent I do not know. There may well be a higher energy permeating us all, and many believe in such, but to attribute to it the capacity to grant us a new Ferrari if we wish well enough is hard to stomach.

When he moves onto the dynamics of mind and body habits, he writes brilliantly and clearly. I have read in the past with interest about habit forming, especially with regard F.M.Alexander (of the subsequent Alexander technique), but found new information here and a great organisation of concepts as well. His deployment of meditation as a foundation for change is also sound, as his is advice for daily reinforcement of change.

But he frequently slips into verbose, repetitive prose, as if unable to remember what he wrote about earlier in the book. And his lack of references and lack of critical thinking sent alarm bells ringing too many times. How can he state that specific emotions such as love, anger and hate are accompanied by low frequency body electromagnetic radiations without references?

He also `states' that meditation (and hypnosis) provide access to subconscious programming. It is certainly clear from other books I have read (such as `Stranger to ourselves' by T.D.Wilson) that many subconscious activities are outside any form of conscious control. We may respond to the subconscious urges by ignoring them, and this is indeed one of the basics of reprogramming, but we cannot change the programming itself.

So there is some confused and speculative thinking in the book that undermines its value. There was enough, however, for myself, to learn from it, but it is not a coherent, fully plausible effort.

1.0 out of 5 stars repackaged old news, 4 Mar 2012
Sigh...... if you have any history with hypnosis,nlp and meditation and are looking for something new and exciting, this is not the book. many books are now being wheeled out jumping on the new 'quantum field' theory to explain this new idea or that new idea that will change your world. (see 'matrix reimprinting')
for me this book quickly loses credibility in almost its first citing of 'experimental evidence'. books will add footnote no's that give a sense of credibility the 'facts' being laid out in the book. Having actualy followed the footnote to the incredible results and proof of the 2nd study/experiment in chapter one i found that the 'facts'are in fact highly questionable or negligable. not a good start.
The author seems at pains to make sure you read all the book before jumping ahead to the 'how' so that you 'undersatnd' all the information that will help you change your life, only to finaly get to the 'how' which is simply a guided meditation of sorts, including a down through the body induction (see any standard hypnosis script).
There is a lengthy explanation of how our thoughts and emotions 'brainwaves' are like 'incoherent' waves if we dont shut out the external forces such as environment and so on and when we go truly go inside (see hypnosis/ any form of meditation) we can make our minds focus on what we want like lazers ('coherent' )(see NLP'congruence''timelines' etc)
Of course at the back you can go to the website for further help, ie buy the cd, dvd etc
Positive thinking, hypnosis & meditation with fancy quantum field padding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breakthrough Book for Anyone Who Wants to Live Life to the Fullest!, 12 Mar 2012
Anyone who remembers the hit indie cult film, What the Bleep Do We Know?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality that took the US theatres by storm in a grassroots phenomenon unlike any seen before will remember Dr. Joe Dispenza who is an audience favorite as one of the experts interviewed along with a host of other scientists and theologians, who made the relatively inaccessible strange quantum world accessible to the masses. The film had a lasting impact and has been distributed to millions around the world, becoming part of the cultural zeitgeist and finally making it cool to be holistically-oriented.

Dr. Joe is one of the best communicators of this area of science as well as neuroscience, neurology, brain function, chemistry, cellular biology, memory formation, and aging and longevity. This book follows his first, Evolve Your Brain: The Science of Changing Your Mind which laid down the science for this one.

The first book was a bit heady and as a layperson with an avid interest in personal development and a growing interest in science, I must admit it was a bit difficult for me to read. I think it may have been intended for those who are practitioners with a science background as well as those in holistic and heart-centered therapies who by now it seems, should really know this stuff if they are working with people. I found myself recommending the first one to a whole host of professionals in the helping and healing professions - nurses, psychologists, physiotherapists, body workers, yoga teachers, EFT practitioners, and those who lead courses in personal development and spirituality.

"Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself" is a real breakthrough book in terms of practical application. Dr. Joe's genius is in many areas, but certainly he must now be seen as one of the top voices in how to apply the new science to your life. "Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself" is a delightful tour of what makes us work and more importantly, how we can make lasting change in our life. I have done several personal development workshops and many claim to bring about lasting change, but this book and I am sure Dr. Joe's trainings bring this important work to the common individual. I will still recommend this for the professionals to read and I think they will read it with glee and gain many insights. But this one is for people like myself - those who want to develop to be their best from the inside out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book by Joe dispenza, 18 May 2014
The book was insightful, relevant and is changing my perspective on life. it has inspired me to do better and become a quantum creator and take accountability for my life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 13 Mar 2014
There was a lot of information on how the brain works which was good. However I found the ideas for making change too unrealistic to be able to do in real life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Sep 2013
A must read for anyone who wishes to explore further the state of being with this cutting edge work but do follow up with his meditation CD to put his work into reality

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 4 Aug 2013
the future of healing mental and physical ailments. very clearly written and inspirational. great explanations of the reasoning behind everything he says too. one of the best books ive ever read