5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing storytelling
I won't give a run down of the story as I think that spoils it for the prospective reader. I will say that I have enjoyed the story so far immensely. I am just about to purchase Love Is Mortal, the next in the series, in the knowledge that this move will lead to yet another sleepless night. The main characters are brilliantly portrayed, the plot detailed and gripping, the...
Published 17 months ago by Sandy

3.0 out of 5 stars Declined
If I had just read her first book I would give it 4 stars but her most recent book I really didn't enjoy. I didn't like how her relationships ended in the final chapter. I am not sure if I will buy her next instalment coming soon. I think it will be a later buy when on offer, so that says it all really doesn't it?
Published on 8 Nov 2012 by Rachael Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: Love is Fear: Valerie Dearborn Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed the story and the humor, couldn't help falling in love with the characters although the end was a bit odd. Would be interesting to see another one about Val leading on from this...

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a feeling!!, 26 July 2012
Amazon Customer (Bolton, Nr Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love is Fear: Valerie Dearborn Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
This story messes with your head. It is so emotional and the plot so intricate that the physical bits are a welcome respite. (And I don't mean just the sex!!)
All those what ifs, how comes, will theys, did theys going round and round in my head! This is certainly one of those books that keeps you thinking well after the reading is done! Can't wait for the next in the series.....

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Love is Fear: Valerie Dearborn Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
Not as good a novel as i expected reading previous reviews. Instead of the 'graphic' parts being written romantically i thought it just came across as a bit filthy and impersonal. Storyline not bad tho and worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars An enthralling sequel, 15 Jan 2012
This review is from: Love is Fear: Valerie Dearborn Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
Having read Bewitching the Werewolf, a frustratingly short novella by Caroline Hanson and moving on to her full length novel Love is Darkness, I couldn't put the book down. More than just a typical supernatural love story, this had suspense, drama, history and depth of emotion. I couldn't wait to read the sequel, Love is Fear, and it didn't disappoint. I don't usually leave reviews, even when a book is great, because I often find people interpret books differently and we all look for separate things to entertain us in a story. I've bought many a book off of great reviews and been upset that I didn't enjoy them and bought others even though the reviews were lukewarm only to find myself enchanted.

This book, as a sequel, surpassed my expectations, building on the fast paced, high energy, disturbing world we'd been introduced to in the first. The detail, the love scenes, the brutality depicted in the fight scenes truly capture the imagination and have you turning the page at lightning pace, desperate to devour the content and reach the end (which leaves us in even more suspense than the first book). I don't really want to write about the plot though - what I want to write about is the characters. The author says this is not a YA novel because of the rather graphic sex scenes - for me it stood apart because of the complexity of the characters. This was not a typical love story, with a heroine, a hero/villain etc. Valerie is a character we can all identify with on different levels and I won't deny constantly hoping she'll survive the situations she gets herself into - but sometimes she can be so frustrating! A little whoreish, a little naive. And then she is just a girl that desperately wants to be loved and my heart aches for her all over again. As for the good guy - is Jack a good guy? For the majority of Love is Darkness I rooted for Jack, hoping he would overcome his bitterness and put Valerie first. In Love is Fear though, I won't deny that I wanted Lucas to kill him. Often. On the one hand, the reader totally understands how Jack feels, where his anger and rage stem from. On the other, the fact he's let it take him over, that he's lost himself (and his relationship with Valerie) to it, left a bitter taste in my mouth. As for Lucas, he is and isn't your typical bad boy - showing flashes of vulnerability and what might be real, tender emotions, along with his incredible beauty made me champion him in his pursuit of Valerie. But towards the end of Love is Fear, without giving too much away, he shocked and appalled me in a heartbreaking way. It wasn't anything physically violent, but the emotional betrayal behind his decisions leaves you wondering if there's anyone in the books Valerie can trust. She certainly can't trust Rachel, a mysterious character who adds interest and ensures Jack isn't a side character in the sequel.

I think what I'm trying to say with this review, was that after all the supernatural and YA novels I have read, this has far surpassed the majority of them. If you enjoy, sex, violence, supernatural creatures and twisted love stories, you won't need much persuading to give the Valerie Dearborn novels a try. But if that's not enough to convince you then let yourself be absorbed in the deep and complex characters, worrying at their decisions and the somewhat ominous consequences they have. I promise, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 18 Dec 2011
This review is from: Love is Fear: Valerie Dearborn Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
of course i loved it..its gold its a sequel to love is darkness which is also brilliant. caroline not only tells a good story but she writes beautifully.., lots of humour but also Lucas and Valerie talk about fireworks!! but i was left bereft.. what happens to lucas?? ahh.. i couldnt even sleep i slept at 3am trying to finish it.. keep up the good work caroline!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Your Next Favourite Book!, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Love is Fear: Valerie Dearborn Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars! (and would give it more if it was possible)

You know what? This book left me speechless! I could not think of a word to describe it accurately. So I left it a while, and came back to write this review.

I asked myself: Is it awesome? Yeah sure. Is it brilliant? Without a doubt. Is it breath-taking? Definitely! Is it captivating? Entirely. I could not stop devouring the words on the page.
The thing is, it was all of these things and more. I cannot think of enough words to describe LOVE IS FEAR.
This book is the sequel to LOVE IS DARKNESS (yes I have also reviewed and loved that one!). It is not a YA book. It isn't even entirely Adult Fiction. I also believe it is part erotica. It certainly has some beautifully written sex scenes in it. Not the most explicit, but what you conjure up in your imagination upon reading these words is mindblowing!

Upon finishing reading LOVE IS DARKNESS (Valerie Dearborn #1), I was absolutely dying to read LOVE IS FEAR. I felt so compelled by Caroline Hanson's words, I was absolutely chomping at the bit for the next installment. Well, I finally got to read it, and I can definitely say, the only bad thing about this book was the fact it had to end.

How to describe this book? I'm not sure I can do that accurately, but I will try.

I already said that is isn't YA Fiction. That's the truth of it. So I shouldn't compare it to anything YA, yet I feel one comparison is a must.
If you strip back your typical YA book to the very bones of it, you will usually discover that is is basically a love story. The meat of the story is what makes them unique. The way the author weaves their words to create their world, so that you as the reader enjoy their book for what it is. Whether the genre is Fantasy, Paranormal, Supernatural or what have you, the base is in romance.. They want you to fall in love with their characters. They put them through trials and tribulations, yet in the end, the good guy wins the heart of the heroine (as well as the reader). I mean no disrespect in this, I love a good YA book to settle into.
It's just that the same simply cannot be said for LOVE IS FEAR. If you were to strip this book back to it's bones, you would find a story made up of lust, love, loss, greed, fear, jealousy, betrayal, compulsion, and I mean these feelings as primal instincts.
Yes, there is a good guy, a bad guy, a heroine, a rival, and of course the bad guys that they all want to get away from. But at it's very heart, this book is unlike anything you have ever read before.

I actually hasten to give any details about the story itself, as I fear I would give it away. I don't want to ruin your enjoyment of it based upon my review.
I want you to go in with your eyes wide open, though you will never see what's coming. Just when you think you have it sussed, Caroline adds twists and turns that you just don't see coming. She puts Valerie, Jack, Lucas and Rachel through such trials and tribulations, testing their boundaries and pushing them to breaking point.

LOVE IS FEAR is a beautifully written, gritty, compelling story. I said in my review of LOVE IS DARKNESS that it had the makings of a bestseller, and Caroline of a best-selling author. Well if I thought that before, I am now 110% sure in my conviction.
The passion Caroline has so obviously written this story with will set your heart and soul on fire. At one point, I was not sure if I was routing for the good guy, the bad guy or both. All I know is, what I expected of the story was blown out of the water. It far surpassed my expectations of it, and let me tell you my expectations weren't limited.

I truly believe that an author like Caroline and a story such as this are set to take the literary world by storm. If it doesn't, then I guess I will be left shell-shocked and will probably reassess everyting I feel about reading. I cannot even start to do this book justice in my review, but if I can embibe even part of the passion I feel of it onto at least 1 reader, then I have done what I can.

I'm sorry if you were looking for a review with a summary of the story and saying yes I really liked this book. I feel if I tried to sum it up, I wouldn't do it without giving too much of the game away. I really, truly believe that you need to discover it for yourself.

So, go buy LOVE IS FEAR. If you haven't already done so, buy LOVE IS DARKNESS too, and settle in for a tumultuous ride. It is one hell of a roller-coaster, and I for one am desperate for the 3rd installment. If book 3 lives up to it's predecessors, it too will be the ride of a lifetime. One you never want to get off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing happens, badly written and confusing!!!!, 2 Aug 2013
JoJo (Merseyside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love is Fear: Valerie Dearborn Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
Ah I hate when authors ddrrraaagggggg out a story especially when it's so awful and charge you for it. I have read two and half books from this triology and i will never get that time back again. This was a series i purchased just because i couldnt believe the whole trilogy could have been published if it really was so rubbish. The book is confusing, jumps all over the place, nothing happens and Valerie Dearborn is a boring and whiny. She has a thing going with jack which is just random, then the vampire, then....... I can't even be bothered to share its wasting my time like this book did!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please!!, 25 Feb 2012
This review is from: Love is Fear: Valerie Dearborn Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
You MUST buy these books!
The Valerie Dearborn novels (Love is Darkness & Love is Fear) have compelling plots.
(I'm not going to spoil them by reviewing them in minute detail!) Suffice to say they make great reading and I can't wait for the next installment.
Keep up the good work Caroline!

Love is Fear: Valerie Dearborn Book 2