Format: DVD|Change

on 19 April 2012
Ten years ago, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Luton underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, then buy this DVD - and maybe you could defend yourself against... The A-Team...

In all seriousness, I was sceptical when I first saw this DVD - "how is it possible to teach someone to protect themselves by watching a DVD" I thought to myself. However, for less than a tenner I thought it worth a bash... and I'm glad I did. Alex and the team make it so simple to follow and easy to remember. This means that everybody, even after only watching through once will walk away a little safer and more capable of defending themselves from the most common types of assault. I've watched it though twice now and have probably retained about half of the techniques and (probably more importantly) I would be confident using them should the need arise.

So if you're sitting on the fence about this one you should ask yourself if you can afford not to... the world isn't a nice place and it's getting worse. It's much cheaper than paying for self defence lessons and cuts through all the 'macho man fighting rubbish' to provide good, honest, safe advice on a level that absolutely everyone can understand and absorb.

The DVDs arrived in 2 days, and I recieved a personal email from the creator to thank me for purchasing and offering assistance should I need it. Definately a reputable company and gets by backing 100% - I hope they release another version in future.

Marc
on 26 September 2012
There are not to many self defence DVD box sets about so I was very cautious about the quality and understandability of this product. The DVD course set is excellent, the defence moves are in real time as well as in slow motion and are repeated many times. The voice over is excellent, clear and well spoken leaving no possibilities for errors. The videos are also paused to show techniques with arrows and other indications. I have shown my girlfriend and my nephew some of these techniques and they are easy in most part to remember. I didn't realise it could be so easy to defend myself should anything happen, I would highly recommend this to anyone wishing to learn self defence.
on 28 January 2014
These DVDs demonstrate a far wider range of defensive moves than I thought possible. Each one goes through multiple moves in detail so don't expect to be able to run through them all in a weekend (as I did) as there's so much to take in. Having a willing partner to practice with makes a big difference to your level of understanding for each move, and lets you find out which types of moves work best for you.
on 5 May 2013
these dvd's are great, most of the moves on them are very simple and like the guys say you dont need any martial arts training to do them, I like this stuff, especially the block and strike moves, I have done some martial arts training and I can tell you this really works, and hurts, personally I like the palm strikes and elbows, perfect for a small person fighting someone bigger, train with a friend if you can, but if you have no one to train with and you have to use some of these moves just do it, trust in them, they work,I would advise anyone to buy these dvd,s its a full self defence course for under fifteen quid, watch them, do exactly as the guys say and it works, if you do train with a friend be careful, break the bad guys bones not each others.
on 12 March 2013
This dvd set delivers what it promises: to teach 140 efficient self-defense moves to ANYONE who needs to escape a dangerous situation ( : even my grandmother has learned a move or two ; ).
The well designed demonstrations and visual information it’s wrapped in eloquent audio explanations that on top of clarifying what it is seen, contemplate all possibilities of action in a clear and understandable way.
The cherry on top of the cake is: the audio (narration) advances the viewers’ second guesses in a clairvoyant kind of way – aside knowing what they’re doing, these guys have clearly taught before – and explains why the viewer should do as it is explained and not as it might seem to be a better way of action.
Congratulations on a fine piece of material.
on 22 June 2013
I found this DVD to be very easy to watch and follow. All of the techniques are shown multiple times and when necessary from multiple angles, in both full speed and slow motion. There are graphics on screen used to show direction of movement, weight and balance etc. Narration is detailed and clear.

There are a combination of simple moves for those who are not very fit and not very confident defending themselves and more advanced moves for martial artists to include in their training. On the whole a very good product and excellent value.
on 6 October 2012
Even though it's pure theory, it's always good to known some basic knowledge and moves.
Maybe some people could say it's too short; not about the list of moves but about explanations of real situations (what you should do or not)
But like the title of the product says, it's only about combat moves (by a majority defense moves) to take the advantage in few seconds in front of an agressor.

I think to complete the use of this DVD, it could be good to read a book about auto-defence in real daily situations and what are the implications coming with them.
on 4 December 2013
Having a Tae Kwon Do and a Kickboxing background I'm always eager to learn new techniques or just brush up on existing ones and this DVD is exactly what I have been looking for. Regardless of your particular style, the lengthy and informative instruction found in this DVD set is really without equal.

Yes I'm sure you could find a lot of this on the net but you have to remember that all the moves, defences, locks, take downs and the rest are all presented one after another in a fluid, detailed style by the same instructors throughout all the 140 techniques shown and this makes a huge difference.

Not only that you do truly get truly exceptional value - 4 DVD's and 3 hours worth of training for less than £15 (at the time of writing this review). This alone puts it way above many other similar instructional DVD's who often only offer one DVD for that price and usually rather bad ones at that.

By the way after this initial purchase, I was so impressed that I immediately went and purchased the follow up to this DVD 140 Advanced Combat Moves, 4 x DVD Self Defence Home Study Course.

Oh did I mention it's a British DVD? That's a refreshing change too. Top marks from me guy's!
on 9 December 2012
Years ago I started training in (shotokan) karate, primarily for self defence reasons. Over time I became proficient in katas, kihon, sparring etc & gained a 1st dan black belt but without ever really developing much expertise in dealing with `real', common, self-defence situations. I know of other karate-ka with similar experiences. For me this 4 disc dvd collection is an excellent resource for filling the gap in my training. No nonsense, seemingly simple defensive techniques covering everything from wild swinging punches, grabs, strangles, ground fighting and knives are covered. Each defence is clearly filmed and explained. Through diligent practice (ideally with a partner) anyone can develop and then draw on a core of effective techniques that will help them deal with the most common types of physical assault they may be confronted with.

Regarding the price, I think this DVD collection is excellent value for money. Comparable products ranging from the excellent G Thompson & P Consterdine to various Krav Maga based systems seem ridiculously expensive in comparison.

Buy it, its excellent!
on 6 December 2015
What is taught on the dvd seems to me to be relevant to situations that might come up in the real world. If you have a bit of knowledge and have practiced the moves in training then I think you're giving yourself a better chance of coming through such a situation in decent shape.

I think the instructions on how to perform each move are very clear. I think the moves themselves are appropriate for the target audience. I'm going to watch and practice several moves each day and use them in sparring. Hopefully I'll never need to use anything on the street, but in today's world you never kmow when stuff will kick off...

Will definitely buy the dvd of advanced moves which appears to build on what's taught here.