Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 March 2012
The Very Best of Gilbert O'Sullivan - A Singer & His Songs

This is a wonderful collection and PLEASE give this a chance by giving an un-biased listening without subconsciously dismissing this because it is so un-cool to like Gilbert.
I consider myself a cool enough dude in his early 50's with a massive music collection of up to date music and claasics from the 60's though the decades to the present. I heard ' Alone Again' on the radio a few years back and it was so inspiring that , despite myself, I bought the 'Bery Very' Album and was transfixed by the lyrics and melodies.Gilbertville got good reviews and I bought it out of curiosity and REALLY enjoyed it and played it continually in the car..the stories are just great.

So much so ,in fact, that my wife and I are going to see Gilbert at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall in April...can't wait!!

This is another excellent compilation and get some good headphones on, lie back and immerse yourself in this...you know you are worth it, even if you think you might not be!!!

I guarantee you will LOVE this album

David
on 23 May 2012
Even Gilbert admits he is out of vouge but his music is just brilliant.This has a song on it called Taking a chance which is sublime.His music speaks for itself,catchy honest and sometimes heartbreaking.Long may he continue.Get the shopkeeper to put it in a brown bag to hide your shame but do it!
Beautiful.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 December 2010
It is virtually impossible to encompass all of O'Sullivan's best songs within 18 tracks - three discs wouldn't be enough to include the enormous output of his quality songs - but this collection is an excellent introduction to his amazingly original songs written in the 70 & 80s, including some of the most memorable hit songs, like Nothing Rhymed, Alone Again (Naturally), Clair, What's In A Kiss. It also includes the memorable songs like 'We Will ', 'Why, Oh Why, Oh Why' and the heart-achingly wistful songs like 'At The Very Mention Of Your Name', 'Dear Dream' and 'I Wish I Could Cry', written in the late 80s and in the 90s. If you come to love these songs, you will surly buy his all albums and will be on an amazing journey of discoveries.

1. Matrimony
15. What's in a Kiss
16. Lost a Friend
17. I'll Believe It When I See It
18. Dear Dream
33 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This eccentric Irish singer-songwriter was a regular visitor to the upper reaches of the UK charts in the early 1970s. Three of these songs made the top ten in the USA: the poignant Claire, Alone Again (Naturally) and Get Down. He specialized in the mid-tempo ballad, although Get Down was a real rocker with a catchy hook. Other UK hits on this compilation include Ooh Wakka Doo Wakka Day, No Matter How I Try, We Will, Ooh Baby, Nothing Rhymed and I Don't Love You But I Think I Like You. What's In A Kiss was a solitary stray hit from the late 70s when his time had passed. The music is not profound but charming enough with its often clever lyrics and decent tunes.
Singer/ Songwriter 'Gilbert O'Sullivan' broke into the U.K Charts in 1970
with 'Nothing Rhymed'
He went on to grace the Charts in many countries including 'U.S' and 'Japan'
with his very unique style.
Here in the U.K he continued to register hits throughout the Seventies achieving
fourteen Top 40 successes, half of these being Top 10 entries, in 73' he registered
Two Number Ones, those being the 'enchanting' ''Clair' followed by ''Get Down''
Among some of his other popular recordings on-board - 'No Matter How I Try' -
'Matrimony' - 'We Will' - and my personal favourite - 'Alone Again (Naturally)
These some of the gems you'll find on-board.
When he first appeared on our TV screens I'm not sure that we knew what to make
of him, there he was 'Grey Flannel suit' 'Flat Cap' 'School Tie' 'Soccer Socks' and
'Hobnail Boots' sat at a piano, suddenly producing a new music style of his own.
This is a pretty good album to own, it reflects most of his popular material of those
distant times.
on 14 May 2012
This CD was really great, full of great songs by a great artist. I bouught every LP he made and this had all the very best on one CD. Good to have you back Gilbert!
on 3 March 2015
The Very Best Of Gilbert O Sullivan on Union Square Music is a very good compilation by Gilbert O Sullivan which contains a very good selection of the hit singles that he had in the UK.It is a shame that the original 1969 7" single on Major Minor records which was re-issued in 1971 by Columbia Records and called "I Wish I Could Cry" is not on any CD Album by Gilbert O'Sullivan in its original form.A new version which is not as good from 1995 is on the CD Album "Every Song Has Its Play".It was a hit in Holland in its original form though,Another very good single from August 1975 which is missing from Gilbert O Sullivan UK Best Of compilations which should have been a hit in the UK is the brilliant single "I'll Believe It When I See It" which was a hit in Holland and Ireland.
on 14 August 2015
Ah Gilbert O Sullivan,as a kid growing up in London in the early 70s,he was always on the radio and Top of the Pops.I thought he was always underrated in his native Ireland,but in England he was loved as a genuine pop star of the time,with beautiful lyrics and music,i cant honestly say he penned a bad song.If you are from the same era as i am and did'nt get to buy any of his great songs,then this is perfect way to get all his songs on one cd.Highly recommended.
on 29 August 2012
I really love the memories these tunes bring back to me of when I was Gilbert's biggest fan in the early 70s and a first time Mum with a baby who never slept! Many were the hours I listened to my then audio tapes of these tunes during the long nights. And when my second baby came along I simply had to give her the second name of Clare - so I have never forgotten it. This is why this CD is very special to me.
on 16 January 2013
This was got for my sister who had just lost her husband and they used to lister to Gilbert O'Sullivan all
the time. She loved it.