on 1 February 2009
Muchamore has often been ridiculed for the immaturity of his books, with the simplicity of the language and storylines, often meaning that he is never classed as the 'best' of authors.

Henderson's Boys is his new series, which offers readers a chance to see CHERUB before it existed, with the books showing the lives of 4 orphans, in Nazi controlled France.

Similarly to books such as The Boy in The Striped pyjamas, Muchamore has successfully placed his book into historical context, but has also retained his action-packed, comical writing style, which his fans love.

Without spoiling the book for everyone, it follows the main German advance into France, during WW2. The book shows the futile resistance of the French army, and how the Nazi regime brought terror upon many in Europe.

A book like this should be a must in every school in the country: for every 12 year old, teenager and young adult alike, Muchamore has captured the essence of what a true book should be, and five stars is the least he deserves!
on 28 February 2009
This book is fantastic. I don't really do much reading but I have read all of the Robert Muchamore books. This book was impossible to put down and I would recommend it to everyone. The ending was a cliffhanger and I am definatly going to buy the the next book in the series, I can't wait for it to come out!
on 30 May 2009
I would recommend this book to all people who like an adventure, especially if you like stories about WW2. I am 9 years old and I am a confident reader, however my mum feels that this book would be suitable for 11+. This is because in some places the book is quite graphic and there is some mild bad language.

The book is set in Paris in the summer of 1940. Hitlers army is on its way to Paris and millions of civillians are on the run. British spy Charles Henderson has to find two British children before the German agents find them.

In other reviews some people have said that this book is not as good as the Cherub series, but I have not read the Cherub books so I cannot compare them. I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Djamel - 9 Yrs
on 29 July 2009
Amazing, is the only word for this fabulous book. If you liked the Cherub series or the Alex Rider series then you will love this book!
It is full of action and it has a very adventurous story line and is great for any teenager and i am sure that adults will like it just same. This book is fab and i can't wait until the next book comes out!
on 1 March 2011
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!! It contans moderate language and violence.
But my mum was not shore about it because of the language BUT! she looked on the internet and it said that the books are recermended to the age of 12 to 13.

I would recermend it to eney one how like ww2.
on 11 January 2011
We bought this book after reading the reviews for it for our 10 year old son. He did not put it down and read it in one week and thoroughly enjoyed it. He even read to me and kept me informed of what was happening as he read on. Fabulous book, will be buying the rest.
on 5 February 2009
This book follows three chilidren Paul, Rosie, and Marc. It is a very good book, a little bit slow though. I still found it to be a very enjoyable read nonetheless. It did have a lot of action and had a lot of great WWII history. Anybody who loves teen spy books will like The Escape. And this will hold over all CHERUB fanatics like myslef till Brigands MC. The sequel to The Escape will be out this June so I cant wait for that!
on 27 February 2011
Like several other reviewers I read this book in one sitting. It is a brilliant visualisation of what it is like for a child to be alone in a war zone coupled up with some very exciting actions sequences to make this a brilliant adventure story.

The historical context is painted well without excessive detail that would get in the way of the roller coaster ride that sweeps the main characters along.

Suitable for older readers than Cherub, this series makes an ideal follow on read.
VINE VOICEon 3 August 2009
The much anticipated first book about Henderson's Boys. Any fan of CHERUB will know that Henderson was the founder of CHERUB. This book is the start of the story that led Henderson to realise how useful children could really be.

Set in France, 1940, during World War II, this is a high action, exciting adventure as Henderson and his young companions try to escape the Germans.
on 6 April 2011
I can not fault this book in any ways. Its action packed, it's heroic and also has a bit of gore.

This book is set in Paris 1940 when the Nazis were taking over France. A British spy called Charles Henderson who has to find two British children who have very important files. The two children's jobs are to travel Back to England and get the files back safely.

I can not compare this book to any other Muchamore a books; fore I have not read them. I would definitely say that this book would make a great film.

The characters in this book are Henderson (a British spy), Marc (an orphan who runs away). Rosie (another British girl who spent most of her years in Paris), Paul (Rosie's brother who is very artistic). Digby( Rosie and Paul's dad, who dies)

Overall, I would rate this book five star, and this books age rate is 12+. This book is one of the best books I've ever read and I would recommend it to everyone.
By Kit