‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit (Kindle Edition)
Well, that was my kids nearly late for school this morning!! I couldn't put it down and I only had a few more pages to go. Made it just in time. Good job I only had one packed lunch to make.

So, part 2. Different to the first book in so far as it is definitely a bit darker, but the characters are as lovable as ever with a few more additions to the Misfits. There were tears, boy were there tears and there was much laughter and an awful lot of 'I know her!!'

I heartily recommend this for everyone for a read. Glad I've finished it before Christmas or dinner would be very late.

Give it a go.

I'm missing the Misfits already.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit - Amanda Egan, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit (Kindle Edition)
I was trying to save reading Amanda's `The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit' for a train journey, A) because I knew I would be totally engrossed for the duration of the journey, especially after reading `The Diary of a Mummy Misfit' and B) so I wouldn't have to engage in conversation with my aisle seat passenger. However, temptation just had to keep tapping away at me, and to be honest, I couldn't bear it any longer and gave into it, just to get it off my back!
So, here I am, earlier than anticipated, giving `The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit' a rating, of 8* Yes, that's right, one more extra star than I gave `The Diary of a Mummy Misfit!' Why? Because it truly deserves it! I know technically we can only give a maximum of 5 stars, but hey, this book, and `The Diary' is TV material, I'm telling you!!!
I couldn't wait to continue with Libby's story and wow, was I in for a treat!! Just like `The Diary' we have real, laugh out loud, acerbic wit and antics from Fenella. And Libby's son, Max is just as bad - good lad! If I could quote just a few of these razor sharp witty lines here, I would do, but that wouldn't be fair and it would just spoil the impact of the humour for you, so you're going to have to read the book yourself! The fabulous Mrs S, Libby's next door neighbour, is just adorable, as ever, and we are introduced to some new characters, which you just can't help, but like. The upper class bitches/mothers at the school are still carrying on with their shenanigans and competing for the best bitch prize. And oh boy, are they are on top form! Libby does show a darker side to herself in this sequel but I have to say, I've every respect for her. There are a few surprises in this book which I wasn't expecting in the least, and found it playing with my emotions! How can you do that to me Amanda?!! I adored this book so much, that I didn't want it to end! I even missed a couple of meal times, because I just couldn't put it down!! All that's left for me now, is to go out and shout about it from the rooftops! Brilliant, just absolutely brilliant!
I'm in awe of Amanda Egan's writing, and I have the utmost admiration for her work. For me, she is one, if not the funniest writers I've come across, and as long as Amanda keeps writing, I'll be there to buy her books.
Highly recommended, but please read `The Diary of a Mummy Misfit' first!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read Sequel, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed Diary of a Mummy Misfit and so on finishing immediately downloaded this sequel. I soon found it compelling reading as I followed Libby through the lows as well as the highs of life. There are moments where you cry with laughter but also those where the tears are for tragedy. As the title suggests, its not as light as the Diary, but having formed my own relationships with the characters, it felt right to be following them through this new phase, just like sticking with friends through thick and thin. I don't want to make it sound like a depressing read though - it's not! Still full of laughter and killer lines! But it certainly has a little more soul searching. I certainly hope Amanda continues to write Libby'd diaries!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous sequel., 29 Dec 2011
Kim The Book Worm (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit (Kindle Edition)
This sequel did not disappoint me at all. In fact, I absolutely loved it. As a reader, you can't help but have expectations of a sequel. I can honestly say that this was everything that I wanted it to be and more!

In the first book, Libby and husband Ned, put their son into private school and made some wonderful friends, but met some truly awful, snobby people along the way too. At the end of the novel, they came into some money and were able to finally afford to do the things that the other families at the school did. Libby had always wanted a second child and to her delight became pregnant.

In The Darker Side, Libby and hilarious friend Fenella start their pregnancies together, while still helping to fundraise at the school. They meet and befriend Patience, a single mom who is automatically disapproved of by most of the parents at the school. When they find out her background, they keep it up their sleeves for using at a time in the future when it is needed most.

While Libby and her family can now afford to do things that she craved in the past, she almost feels that her life being broke but happy, was preferable. In this novel, her friendships, marriage and family are put to the test with lots of bumps along the way.

I laughed so hard at times I thought I was going to wet myself (sorry to share that with you but I felt that I must!) I also cried a lot at this book. It contained a real rollercoaster of emotions and anyone who has been through the things that Libby went through in this book would empathise sincerely with her and want to personally help her through her ups and downs.

I felt that I was inside Libby and Fenella's friendship. They were both hilarious but really good strong friends who understood each other so well. Amanda Egan's writing is outstanding, her characters so utterly likeable and believable that you want to join them in their lives. The places she describes are so vivid and colourful they are so easy to imagine and conjure up in your mind.

It was a real page turner, and I couldn't put it down. It's such a throroughly enjoyable read, and flows so well that you just keep on reading.

I would dearly love to hear more about the adventures of Libby, her family and her friends. I sincerely hope that this is not the end of them. I miss them already!

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel, 22 Dec 2011
The Kindle Book Review (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit (Kindle Edition)
Libby is back in the sequel in this mummy lit genre. She is pregnant, rich and more determined than ever to survive the 'memeemies' to give her son Max the best prep school education money can buy. Now they don't have to struggle for money, and Libby is head of CCL, the school's charitable arm, surely it is all plain sailing now?

This sequel lives up to its title, showing the darker side of Libby's world. When tragedy strikes, Libby feels angry, upset and dare I say it....bitchy?? This once lovely woman strikes out, feeling resentment, jealousy and detachment from those around her as she struggles to find her footing in this new life. It's true what they say, money can't buy you happiness, and as Libby flounders and then freefalls into new territories, she truly becomes a 'mummy misfit.'

This book is an excellent sequel, it flows well from the first awesome book, it is another funny narrative in the world of 'mummy lit', once again exposes the cynical world of yummy mummies, and their plethora of botox, nannies, 4 x 4s and designer bitch fests. But this book surpasses the first in my eyes, as it deals with sensitive issues in a tender voice whilst retaining its humour and realistic character progression.

I don't want to write a spoiler review, those annoy me and I feel do the book no justice, but if you have not read the first, buy both, take a day off and delve in.

Books, like these two especially, prove to me just how much 'mummy lit' is unjustly underrated and written off as not being 'literary' and 'highbrow' enough.

I have read a lot of mummy lit, some dire, some unrealistic, but gems like these speak to your heart, head and funny bone, helping you realise that not only are we not alone in our fears, failings, and general mummy mundane lives, we have great voices. Voices who not only raise children, but also have a brain and aspirations outside the home. They take the time to write great works to help us escape, laugh and cry at our own situations, and realise that mummies, when not frozen with botox and ragging on angry (quite rightly) foreign au-pairs, really do rule the world......

I adored the first book and bought the second the day it came out, devouring it in a day, as I did the first. There is a character for everyone in this book, and they all blend together in a way that would make Marian Keyes quake in her tiny pixie boots. Not read it, why not?

The kids might eat jam and bread for the day and overdose on Cbeebies, but I would say it's worth the gamble......

Rachel Dove, The Kindle Book Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Was darker - but worth the read, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit (Kindle Edition)
I was a little concerned how dark this read would be after the prequel. Although it did at times, there was the smoothest of writing that quickly drew into a comfortable place again.

The characters are described so well, and I'm sure we all recognise some of these hideous characters in our own lives!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amanda's done it again!, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit (Kindle Edition)
another triumph from this ace author. only bought this a couple of hours ago and finished already! now to purchase her next book :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant! what a book, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit (Kindle Edition)
What a fabulous follow up book. I couldn't put my kindle down. I so love mummy misfit, she is a wonderful character. I wish there was another in the series to abate my addiction, alas I will have to hope and pray that Amanda puts pen to paper again to continue mummy misfits journey

5.0 out of 5 stars just as good as mummy musfits, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit (Kindle Edition)
Didn't think I'd like a sequel but just as laugh out loud funny and picks up from where the 1st book left off...well worth the read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant again!, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put it down....lived and loved every word...laughed cried and growled out loud...Banjo(my dog) gave me increasingly perturbed looks at these noises....wanted to strangle the meemies..cuddle Mikhail...Oh it's just brilliant!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›