5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 9 Oct 2008 by Mr. A. G. Marsh

2.0 out of 5 stars A classic example of where Vanity Publishing doesn't pay!
Seriously, I have to ask, where was your editor, Ben?

Published on 17 Mar 2010 by E. Heckingbottom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Hyperion Legacy (Paperback)
I generally judge a book by how quickly I read it. Very quickly means that I read it every opportunity I can so I to find out what happens next. I read this book in no time at all. Kept me interested with serious insight into the world of horseracing and a believable main character. From a male point of view it didn`t slow down much by overly dwelling upon the romantic side! Extremely impressive first novel and would look for further titles by Ben Osborne.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 9 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Hyperion Legacy (Paperback)
Not knowing a great deal about the horseracing world, I was hesitant on reading the book. However, it is fast flowing with plenty of action and generally I couldn`t wait to find out what happened on the next page! The insight into horseracing was very interesting and added greatly to the read. Highly recommended as a first novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hyperion Legacy - quite a decent read, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Hyperion Legacy (Danny Rawlings Mysteries Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I quite liked this book. It went at a good pace although parts of it were a bit far fetched. But overall it was a good read for people like myself who like horse racing novels!

2.0 out of 5 stars A classic example of where Vanity Publishing doesn't pay!, 17 Mar 2010
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Hyperion Legacy (Paperback)
Seriously, I have to ask, where was your editor, Ben?

This could have been a very enjoyable book. Certainly the plot was exciting and intriguing, although you needed to suspend disbelief on occasion. For example, even with the support of the Prison Governor, Danny seemed to be able to get a day release from prison remarkably easily - with no restrictions on his movements.
However, for me what really marred the book was the plethora of errors - spelling errors, grammatical errors and plot errors - that appeared throughout the book.

Clearly, this book was not properly edited and, if you are a bit pedantic (as I know I am) and even if you aren't, but still expect to receive the quality that you pay for, you will find yourself growling at this book, as you read about the hero being `leant' some money; ordering half a pint of `larger' and running `passed' several things - and even finding an example of a greengrocer's apostrophe (as the runner's come hurtling round...)! You may also find yourself growling as races are changed from the fifth to the fourth without explanation; jockey's horses are changed; arriving at 4.38am for a meeting set for 4 am 8 pages earlier is described as being early... I'm sure you get the gist of what I'm saying!

My chief hint, Mr Osborne, would be, PLEASE! Get yourself a proper editor for your next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hyperion Legacy, 3 Mar 2009
R. G. Nickerson "Race Fan" (McComb, MS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hyperion Legacy (Paperback)
The Hyperion Legacy is an A+ addition to the horse racing mystery genre! I hope to see another title added to Mr. Osborne's publishing list -- soon.The Hyperion Legacy

4.0 out of 5 stars Who cares about the errors, 25 Nov 2009
gefb (Runcorn, Cheshire.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hyperion Legacy (Paperback)
Having just finished reading The Hyperion Legacy I found it original and entertaining, OK there were errors and some of it was a bit far fetched but as a racing man myself who has read most of Dick Francis and John Francome thrillers I thought it was a good effort, it did'nt have too many characters, it kept to the main plot and centred round the main character throughout, so well done Ben.

3.0 out of 5 stars good racing background spoilt by gratuitous sadism and contrived plot, 29 May 2014
I am very interested in the general "sub culture" of the racing world and always keen to read books where insights into this world forms part of the plot. There is a lot of interesting stuff about the betting sub culture syndicates here. But as so often now, it is spoilt for me by the introduction of gratuitious sadism.. (I would make the same complaint about the Eddie Malloy books by Richard Pitman and Joe McNally). Maybe it is just me, being female, maybe adding this element makes the books sell better to guys who like a strong sadistic element but it does not appeal to me. I do not see why crime in the racing world needs to be sadistic? My other criticism is that the book's plot is rather contrived. It is based on the hero having to go on the run, chased by sadistic killers, and the police are busy fitting him up for a crime he did not commit. Now I can buy that the police are lazy, incompetent and even corrupt, but I don't really buy that they would arrest a guy who reported a murder to them, and then charge him with it and another murder, based on the flimsiest of evidence - the word of a drunk trainer, some unconvincing bits of planted evidence and the fact he did a few months time in the past for getting mixed up with the wrong crowd. On this basis the police decide he must have committed two nasty murders and do not bother looking any further- instead he is set up to take the rap. Sorry I just don't buy it. It is a shame because the writing is very readable.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a let down!, 26 Mar 2014
Penelope Snow "Pennydreadful" (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
Anyone expecting a well written, fast moving racing novel in the style of Dick/Felix Francis, John Francome or Richard Pitman will be very disappointed. This book is awful, I persevered with it for quite a few chapters but eventually gave up as it didn't improve and failed to hold my attention. I'm glad I only purchased the first novel by this author as I won't be buying any more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Roller coaster plot., 22 Mar 2014
I enjoyed this book about an ex jockey turned tipster who finds himself arrested for a murder he didn't commit. When he tries to prove his innocence he reveals a fascinating plot of cloning, high stakes and murder. An exciting read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hyperion legacy, 20 Feb 2014
Really good plot not to far fetched like all good thriller fiction
it was possible and so it did not insult your intelligence.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›