4.0 out of 5 stars Great starting game for the Vita
There's no question that having uncharted as a start up game for the vita is a great thing, it's able to show off it's capable visuals and how much it can actually handle.

Published on 26 Feb. 2012 by S. A. Rutter

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but enjoyable.
I'm a massive fan of the Uncharted series so far and when I heard a PS Vita version was in the works I was pretty excited. When I later heard that Naughty Dog were not going to be on development duties my expectations instantly dropped. The resulting game developed by Bend met most of my expectations without ever reaching the heights that I was hoping for.

The...
Published on 28 Jun. 2012 by Mark

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starting game for the Vita, 26 Feb. 2012
S. A. Rutter - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) (Video Game)

First off, visuals are lovely, but then i'd expect nothing less from a handheld console costing the same as a PS3. (even more with memory cards etc) Crisp visuals, lighting is exceptional.

The gameplay is what you expect from Uncharted, lots of climbing to get to places, mini puzzles, clues, gun play, cover system. It's all there from the Ps3 version. What's been added is to use the Ps vita new functions.. I.e Using it's motion tech, Lots of touch screen moments to swipe at or removing dust from an old item.

The voice acting is as good as ever. It's very believable, sounds great.

However.. The reason it doesn't get 5*s for me is of 2 reasons..

1.) There is no multiplayer functionality at all. So it's disappointing in a sense that you can't try out the wifi. No leader boards no nothing.
2.) Despite having cracking visuals.. I couldn't help but feel slightly let down at the Fps on screen. Moments in the jungle mainly, where the screen feels slow when aiming to shoot someone, almost like a hint of slow motion.

Overall it's a great starting Vita game. I would recommend to any uncharted fan ofcourse, but also anyone considering purchasing the Vita, and wondering which game to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Word - Unbelievable!, 26 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) (Video Game)
In Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Drake is hired by a shady, obnoxious man called Dante to go on a treasure hunt. As per usual, the hunt doesn't exactly go smoothly and Drake winds up in the middle of the jungle with a new love interest by the name of Chase. There's no indication as to where this fits into the timeline of the other three games, but roving reporter Elena is completely missing this time. Bend Studios has done a solid job of staying true to the series' roots, delivering a cinematic, character-focused experience from top to bottom. You do all the things you do in other Uncharted games - monkey your way across canyons, solve mysteries, and engage in cover-based combat.You wouldn't know, from playing through the game, that it was made by a different developer.

The Vita's new gameplay mechanisms - the aforementioned touchscreen, rear touchpad, and gyroscope - are unavoidable. If you want to play the whole game through without getting fingerprints all over your Vita, you're out of luck. All of those features are compulsory at several different points in the game. Personally, I thought the use of those features was inventive - for example, you're required to take pictures of landmarks as you go along, and to adjust the zoom on the camera you have to drag your finger up and down on the rear touchpad. At other points, you have to make charcoal rubbings of engraved objects, which you do by rubbing your finger over the touchscreen. I recognise that some people aren't going to want to use those features at all, but their implementation was interesting. Golden Abyss makes use of absolutely everything the Vita has to offer.

The game must also be pushing the Vita's graphics and processing power to its limits, as well. While it's not really comparable to the later PS3 games, the visuals are remarkable for a handheld device, and probably on par with the graphics of the original in the series, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the animation, or lack thereof, in the characters' hair. Faces move and express emotions, but the hair framing them is dead still.

My only critiscm of the game is the lack of multiplayer, however the single player campaign is of a good length only slightly shorter than its big brothers on the ps3 and collecting all the hidden objects and chasing trophies is going to take a vast amount of your time up.

All in all i couldnt have asked for or expected a better game to launch the playstation vita with. Hopefully there will be many more adventures with Drake during the vitas LONG life cycle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) (Video Game)
I have to say I had my concerns about playing this on the Vita, I've had all 3 Unchartered titles on the PS3 so this has a lot to live up to. Having played through the entire game I can catergorically state it's just brilliant. As others have mentioned it takes a little getting used to the aiming with guns but once you have the hang of it, it's a piece of cake. The story line is great, the characters are good and Drake is just as you'd expect.

I've found the best way to play this game (and probably most for that matter) is with a set of headphones as it completely immerses you in the game, at one point in the jungle there are the sounds of mosquitos but it's so realistic that they buzz in one side of the headphone and at one point I nearly (let me say that again...nearly!) swiped my left ear forgetting it wasn't real!

I became so involved with this game that I had to take a step back occasionally and remember I was playing a handheld device, it's quite amazing and have to say that Sony have done a great job with this game and the Vita in general. If this is a launch game I can't wait to see what they might bring to the table in a year or so.

The only thing I would have really liked to see would have been a multiplayer option for longevity reasons, after finishing Unchartered 3 - Drake's Deception on PS3 I became totally engrossed with online multiplayer so it would be great to see that option in future versions for the Vita.

If you like the Unchartered series then I'm confident you'll love this game....fantastic job.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Uncharted, 5 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) (Video Game)
I admit that i am a huge fan of the Uncharted series and the thought of another developer aside from Naughty Dog developing an Uncharted game wasn't what I wanted. However, once again Sony bend have shown that they can take a beloved franchise and stay loyal to the original formula.

The story in the game is typical of the series. Some people are complaining that they don't like the new characters involved in the story but personally I had no such problem. The graphics are amazing, there are a few blurs around character edges but they are only noticable at certain times. The gameplay has been improved by Sony Bend in a way that Naughty Dog couldn't do on the PS3, for example the use of the touch screen for charcoal rubbings is inspired and makes Drake feel more like an adventurer.

Overall I have been completely blown away by this title. The quality you get for your money is probably the best you will get from a Vita launch title and i would recommend this title to anyone who is buying a vita. If you have a vita and haven't brought it, why haven't you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Control options are GREAT!, 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) (Video Game)
What I really love about playing this is the control interface on the vita. You can use the buttons for everything, but it's far more fun to use the touchscreen with the buttons, letting you do actions with precision, and makes the game so much more enjoyable in my opinion. I can vouch for the other reviews in that the graphics, presentation, puzzles, action, everything it seems are spot on, one of the best games I've played on any system! Worth the money!
Oh yeah, the game is over 3gb I think, so much better to purchase here, as downloading it will just take up a lot of space on your expensive vita memory card...

5.0 out of 5 stars Drake does Vita, 10 Oct. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) (Video Game)
Drakes fortune is an essential vita title as it makes fantastic use of most of the Vita's functions.

The graphics are lovely and the ease of control surprisingly fluid. Taking photos, making rubbings, opening combination locks using the touch screen bring drakes fortune to life in a new fantastic way.

The story is a little short and the locations not varied enough, but that's only because Naughty Dog were up against it to get a Vita title, that worked perfectly, out in time for launch. I expect there is a lot more to come, especially when sony release a vita with a sensible amount of memory.

If you loved the Uncharted games then this is an essential vita purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Game!, 14 Sept. 2012
J. Pearce - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) (Video Game)
As an Xbox 360 owner this is the first Uncharted game that I have played and WOW!

Amazing blend of stunning graphics, shoot em up, puzzles and tactical take downs.

Brilliant!

I was so hooked on this game I couldn't put it down, my only concern is what to play next as the rest of the PS Vita games line up still looks weak.

Best game out there on this console by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars If this is what we get at launch. I can't even start to imagine what great games we have in store., 27 Feb. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) (Video Game)
There's not much more to add as the other reviewers have summed it up to a tee. I'll just say that as soon as you see the medallion swivelling around when the game first loads up and the theme music starts to play (now just as familiar as the Indiana Jones theme) you just know you ar ein for a treat.
The cut scenes are indeed a pleasure to watch, although not quite on a par with the PS3 but that was to be expected. However, compared to similar style games I have played on the Iphone/Ipad such as 9mm/Backstab and the like the graphics on the Vita are mind blowing.
The gameplay is very, very good. It is really well suited to a handheld device. You get good explanations in the first few chapters letting you know how to use the various controls. You get a choice of touch/gyroscope/analogue controls for the most part and they all work very nicely. When I first saw the touch climbing option I thought it would be a bit of a fad but it actually works very nicely and clambering up rocks is actually great fun and never gets boring.
The voice acting is just as good as on the playstation and the script is great.
A lot of people are saying that the vita games are expensive compared to Iphone/Ipad games. And that's true but I think you are getting your weight in gold here as the production values in this game are so much more. Great story, great gameplay, great graphics, great everything. I haven't finished the game but I hear it takes about as long as the PS3 games to finish so this will last a while and hopefully we may even see some DLC in the near future.
So far I have played this, Virtua Tennis, Wipeout, Escape Plan and Motorstorm. I would say that the best graphics can be seen on Virtua Tennis (but it is hard to compare a tennis game to this as Uncharted required detailed graphics for the amazing backdrop) as the movements of the players and the faces look more realistic.
In terms of gameplay and enjoyability, Uncharted wins hands down here.
On a side note. Unit 13 is coming out very soon and I get the impression that this is going to be of the same caliber. I hope so.
If you were worried that Uncharted Golden Abyss wouldn't live up to the rest of the saga. Take my word for it. You won't be disappointed. Order it now if you haven't already.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but enjoyable., 28 Jun. 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) (Video Game)

The first thing I noticed after starting the game were the visuals. It really does show off the Vita's capabilities and coming so early in the machines life bodes well for future titles. It really is stunning to look at. The gameplay initially felt a little twitchy but after a while I got to grips with it and at times really enjoyed the game. Drake, as ever, is a fantastic character and is voice acted superbly. Sully also returns (albeit late in the game) but the other supporting characters are really not on a par. Dante and Chase are typical cliches of those that came before in the Uncharted series. I really wish more had been done to flesh out the characters and add something new.

I quickly grew tired of the games constant use of touch controls. Stroking the screen to break through a wall (and then watching the exact same animation of bricks falling each time) and piecing together maps, photos and other paraphernalia becomes mundane fast. During fight scenes you are asked to swipe in one or two directions in order to execute a finishing move, sometimes these swipes are not recognised by the Vita and can result in a death. The boss fights in particular really overuse this feature. I think it's safe to say that with this aspect my worst fears for the game were met. If you're planning on playing in the dark there is also a part where you will need to get up and turn on a light, most annoying when you're playing in bed and don't want to disturb anyone else.

The game relies heavily on climbing and shooting and sometimes with shooting while climbing but very little else in between. The few puzzles are not puzzling, there are no big set pieces, no vehicle sections or any real stand out moments in the whole game. It really is a dumbed down attempt at an Uncharted game. The AI is poor at best, enemies just stand there while you shoot them and rarely (if ever) seek cover. Guns are seriously unbalanced with some of the hand guns being one hit kills (regardless of where you hit your target) while some of the larger machine guns take many many hits to bring down your foe, even at close range. Ammunition for your weapons is also not a concern, on the few occasions I did run out (while hanging from a ledge etc) the game simply gives you some more. Presumably Drake has some squirreled away on his person for just such an eventuality. I would highly recommend starting the game on the Hard setting from the off, it doesn't offer too much of a challenge (even for an average player like myself) but on Regular it's just far too easy.

While I have mostly focused on the negative elements here it's not all bad. Despite my criticism I did enjoy playing through the game (enough to play through it twice). I had fun while Uncharted: Golden Abyss lasted but it's no classic. It's an average game at best, sometimes average is good enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncharted Golden abyss (PS Vita), 23 May 2013
This review is from: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) (Video Game)
Uncharted Golden Abyss is in my opinion the best game I have so far found for the vita. Many hours of game play with excellent graphics.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita)
Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita) by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation Vita)