5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read
Published on 7 Jan 2012 by Bluej

2.0 out of 5 stars Room for improvement...
I hesitated for a long time before buying this book, despite all the glowing reviews that it has attracted on both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com. What finally tempted me was that it was on Byzantium and that the story was taking place during the 11th century before the First Crusade, which happens to be my favourite period currently. This originality - picking a period that...
Published 24 months ago by JPS

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: Strategos: Born in the Borderlands (Strategos 1) (Kindle Edition)
Another great read from the author of Legionary. As an avid reader I read a wide variety of books - probably 100+ over a year and I always welcome a new author and look forward to reading more of Gordon Docherty's work in the future. Strategos offered a well woven blend of the brutalities of war and the lives of those waging it. For me the strength of the relationships that the main character, Apion, has with those he encounters is a key factor in making the book such a riveting read. Even characters of little importance have been well considered so that each contributes to the clarity of the story as a whole. I look forward to reading more by this author in the near future. A great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Strategos: Born in the Borderlands, 3 Jan 2012
After reading Legionary I was hoping for another brilliant book and boy I was not disappointed, this book brings you deeper into the scenarios and characters than any book I have ever read. Gordon brings the characters of Apion, Mansur, Vadim, Bracchus and many many mpre to life and you get to feel an emotional tie with Apion. The build up to the final battle is awesome with the haunting noise of the moaning of the Seljuk battle horns coursing through my head. Bravo to Gordon for writing one of the best books I have read for years and I cannot wait for thenext episodes of Legionary and Strategos, many more happy hours of reading to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tale of Apion, 19 April 2013
Kara L. Eager - See all my reviews
I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical drama. It is well written with interesting twists & sub-plots. As well written as some of the best genre writers. Well done!! I look forward to the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 26 Jan 2012
I enjoyed this book immensely.

The author does seem to choose periods of Imperial history which are not obvious choices for the setting of heroic fiction. Similarly his heroes tend to be disadvantaged, almost fatally flawed, when we first encounter them, but they come through in the end.
There are things that a reader might criticise, for example I am not a great fan of flashbacks or the repeated phrases/voices in his head, that appeared all too frequently at times of crisis, but this is a personal thing. I disliked it in Bernard Cornwell's Agincourt as well, so he is in good company.

If you want an absorbing plot driven read, that will keep you turning the pages, then you could do far worse than this book.

As I said in the title of this review, it is indeed well worth reading and I look forward to his next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gordon breaks his own record, 22 May 2012
I'll state for the record that Gordon emerged from the same writing-feedback site as I (and a few others), and have since come to know him through Twitter too. But this fact in no way influences the following review, as nepotism does not float my boat. Feel free to simply disregard it if you must, but you do so at your peril.

I gave Gordon's first book 5 stars. I honestly thought it was that good. Reading it just made me jealous over the relative quality of my own work. Now that I've read Strategos, I wish I'd given it 4 stars, as this book is significantly better and I can't reflect that in the ratings, so there you go. Both fab books, but this is better.

Strategos seems to be the work where Gordon's writing has matured into a solid style that is easily the challenge of most established Histfic authors. I feel you will find it hard to tell that this is not a traditionally published novel. Even the shaky editing and typos that are a regrettable feature of self-published work are suspiciously absent. I think I found three or four typos in the whole book, which is a number I expect to find in any work. And the editing? Well it's tight and on-track all the way through.

The story is complex and deep, involving a twisting tale of intrigue and revenge that entwines the protagonist's path all against the background of a great and tumultuous time of desperate military actions to preserve a dying empire. What impressed me particularly is that there is no Good guy/Bad guy black-and-white attitude in Strategos. It is hard not to find likeable and appreciable traits in the bad guys. Not all the good guys are that good. Indeed the main antagonists are ostensibly on the same side as the hero.

The story had a plausible tale of personal growth and overcoming the most outrageous obstacles, the unit cameraderie a reader tends to seek in any military histfic, scenes of horror and glory, but pulls no punches and at times leaves the reader feeling a little hollow and angered at events.

For those of you who like the Byzantine era, I'm sure you'll like this. Gordon's done a great deal of research and it shows (I'm not knowledgable enough on the subject to find any errors if there are any, so I can't tell if it's mistake free. You'll have to do that yourself and comment appropriately). What I CAN say is that if, like me, you have a deep love of the Roman era or the Medieval/Crusading era, you should find this fascinating, as it is an era that is a definite crossover. To have a man who is the descendant of the Roman legionary, armoured in a late-Roman fashion, facing an enemy that would not seem out of place fighting the crusaders in Outremer is a fascinating thing.

There is also an overtone of spirituality and strangeness that threads throughout the story, pointing at a greater destiny that must become apparent in a future book.

If I have a criticism (and it's really hard to find one) it was that the ending was a little abrupt. I was expecting a sort of wind-down epilogue, but the plot wrapped up and the story ended with a sharp stop. In the grand scheme of things I hardly think this is a reason to put anyone off, so go ahead and read the book and see for yourself. And, since indie authors are oft accused of promoting one another blindly, please do comment on this review if you think I've been fair and on-the-ball.

Happy reading.

Vale, Haga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start of something new and very different, 11 Jan 2012
Peter Wintle (Solihull, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Being an avid reader of Roman novels I came accross this book. It has the air of something nasty is brewing from the East and it's only going to be a matter of time before it hits. This novel is a great page turner bringing the Byzantium empire to the fore against a ever growing and menacing Seljuk empire wanting to spread it's wings. An early Christian vs Muslim struggle. I do hope this book is the first of many. I can highly recommend it . More please! By the way if you like playing chess this book will be of interest to you....

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Read!, 23 Mar 2012
I was pleasantly surprised by and enjoyed this book evan though its not a time period or based in a part of the world I know alot about. I know the Byzantines of this period for arrogance and the over confidence of being Romes sucessor. This book says they were hanging on by the skin of their teeth (which makes for better reading). The book itself is very fast paced. I'd hate to be a character in Gordons books as they always have a hideous time of it. The thing I liked about this book is that it was'nt just a blood bath in a vacuum with all other considerations laid aside untill the glorious victory, The soldiers actions had consequences on the people around them. The author also avoided my pet hate, modern western morality and behavior just grafted onto some people with swords and sandals with a bit of research thrown in so it doesnt sound too implausable. Good stuff, Will be looking for th next installment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Change of Heart, 10 Aug 2014
I hesitantly started out this book as I wasn't exactly a fan of anything but "Rome" and her empire, the ever decaying empire of much later years wasn't as shiny. Nobody likes to be on the wrong side of history.

By the end of this book, Gordon Doherty has brought me another fascination concerning this totally changed world.
I shall be reading more!

4.0 out of 5 stars strategos born in the borderlands, 24 April 2014
A good storyline which flowed and encompassed a lot of historical fact within the book. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 20 Jan 2014
Mr Doherty is one of my favourite authors, I actually read the Legionary trilogy first which prompted me to buy Strategos, it has political intrigue along with some good battle scenes and the Characters have good depth, would thoroughly recommend for historical fiction fans and I can't wait to read Strategos 2.