Colour Name: Black|Change

on 29 December 2011
Bought the TM5402 HD to replace an earlier Technomate so that I could recieve HD channels and also have the capability to record.

This is a great unit, but it takes a long time to switch on, and the remote channel buttons are very small, making it difficult to find such things as EPG.

The record function works fine, but a little bit of a fiddle to play back, could be simpler.
on 24 May 2013
Excellent receiver and like my old one good menu and rock solid picture, HD is stunning and runs very cool
on 16 October 2014
After I confirmed the order I realised there was a 'mark 3' version of this product and assumed I had bought the 'mark 2' at a bargain price, I was very happy to see that it was in fact the most up-to-date 'mark 3' version that was dispatched!

Very easy to set up and install (I was replacing an earlier analogue Technomate, so the dish and LNBs were already in place). I can now record and pause live TV over two satellites and see free-to-air HD channels, well worth the upgrade!
on 19 October 2012
After having a dreambox which locked up twice and cost me money to get fixed the tm is a lot better its user friendly and the 7 day epg is brill and easy to est up
on 16 January 2012
What can I say about this machine,except that it is a brilliant piece of kit,superb picture quality,reliable,nice looking,well built,no problems.
on 12 February 2016
When I attempt to navigate the menu it switches itself off randomly after hitting 5 or 6 keys, it seems to coincide with the minute counter incrementing. Contacted Technomate and was told how to do a Factory Reset, which I did but it didn't resolve the problem. I have researched the web and seen that there are load of issues and software patches ... but customers shouldn't incur this sort of hassle!

Next I download the latest software for Jan 2016, but again this didn't resolve the problem of it switching off randomly within the first minute or 2. I contacted Technomate again and they conceded that it must be faulty with the only way forward being to replace it.

For digital aerial TV I have had a Humax recorder which has been superb for years with no hassle whatsoever. Shame I couldn't get a Free To Air satellite version of Humax, although I know the FreeSat versions can be adapted for this.

I sent the unit in and they repaired it and confirmed it as faulty - so was I incredibly unlucky? I got my unit from same supplier but outside Amazon.

Technomate failed to offer a refund for postage which would have been a minimal goodwill gesture for huge inconvenience ... not to mention the hours of my time it cost me trying to circumvent the problem. May be there are so many going wrong that refunding postage would be more than negligible to them?
on 22 July 2011
Amazing alue satellite receiver. Don't believe reviewers who can't even write properly! The common interface and the card reader are both multidecrypters.
Here are some features:
HD, full 1080p Satellite Receiver, can work in a single (e.g. Astra2), dual (e.g. Astra2+Hotbird) or fully motorized multi-satellite system. Thousands of free channels, can record 3 channels while watching another from same TP, time-shift and pause live TV (via optional external hard disk), also runs CCcam, one multicrypt smartcard reader and one CAM slot, 2 scart sockets + LAN, serial and USB ports. No. 1 rated by "What Satellite" magazine.
on 18 December 2015
Possibly my favourite purchase on Amazon.

This is a great device. It may not be the best or the most well known, but there's a reason why it's liked by many.
I've had this for just a little over a year now and it's served me very well. Still is in fact.
It's very reliable, and being new to the world of satellite recorders I did a little research and decided to go for this one. It was a reasonable price last year, and it's an even lower price right now. I'm very happy with how it functions.

The HD picture is very good, it records as it should, and playback is good too.
It's also a nice solid build, not like a piece of plastic.

Okay, one or two critcisms. The EPG isn't great. It definitely needs an improvement in that department. It has also crashed on occasion. But only very occasionally.

In the long term it has been a very reliable machine which has served me well.
I'd definitely recommend this to anyone interested in purchasing an open satellite recorder. There are online forums with lots of friendly people to help you out if you don't know how to scan for channels or something. But I managed to get things up and running in a relatively short time without too much headache.

A very nice device which does what it should, and produces a very good picture in HD, and the quality of the recording is just as good as watching the live programme.
I would advise anybody wanting to record TV programmes with this to get a memory stick or hard drive with a fast write speed though. Because you can record more than one channel at a time if on the same transponder, so naturally you will need a drive or stick with a fast write speed.
on 18 September 2013
I read all the reviews of this receiver before I purchased it. Having bought a Technomate a few years ago I knew what to expect. The receiver is quick in changing channels and has all the features I need and is almost half of what I paid for my last satellite box.
on 28 June 2011
I still don't know for sure whether you can get non-Freeview channels with Freesat boxes (which are a lot cheaper than this one) despite asking a couple of sales people for those boxes, so I plumped for this box as I wanted to upgrade from my nine years old pre-HD receiver aimed at German Astra in order to receive HD channels.

It was very easy to set up and the manual is quite good and easy to follow. There are a number of satellites already programmed in and you can choose which ones to scan or install others. Obviously, what you can actually get depends on what your dish is pointed at, but I get channels from several satellites, and though I didn't scan all of them I ended up with well over a thousand channels! This is something of a problem because you will find many duplicate channels which are available on several satellites and when you first see the list it's a bit mind boggling particularly as none of the channels you want may be near the top of the list.

I was surprised to see how little the software has advanced since I bought my first such receiver twenty years ago in the pre-Sky box days. It's galling that in order to move channels up or down the list you have to manually move them. I haven't even found a way of swapping their positions, something which I could do with my first receiver all those years ago! However, with so many channels it makes sense to use the favourites function which allows you to identify, and categorise, channels you want to have easy access to, for example, those you use most. There are several categories to choose and you can give them your own labels.

It is in this area that the apparatus has an annoying "habit". Once you select a favourites set (e.g. the folder you defined with News channels) it continues to work only with that set. In other words, you have to go back to the menu and choose another set in order to see those channels. It also sticks with that favourites set when you want to edit, delete, move channels which would be fine if the manual explained how to get out of it. It doesn't and I spent a lot of time trying to work out how to do it. In certain circumstances (and the top level menu isn't one of them) you can hit the "SAT" button which selects all available satellites (if you're working at the satellite menu level) or all installed channels. Remember that button - it will save you form tearing your hair out!

All such gadgets have their idiosyncrasies and once you get used to the Technomate's it works well and is easy to use. I have yet to use the USB PVR facility but intend to do so once I've cannibalised the hard drive from my old laptop. Comparing the price with other, similar, models and not being sure whether I needed PVR or not (I have Sky HD for most of the stuff I want to record) this solution is ideal. You don't pay the extra for the internal HD but the functionality is there so you can hook it up if you want to, maybe at a later date.

All in all, it does what it claims and I'm pleased enough with it. If you don't want HD (and the continent is still some way behind the UK in that regard) and recording isn't of interest (i.e. you just want to get foreign language channels to watch in real-time) then check out other options such as buying from Europe first. These non-Freesat boxes do seem to be very expensive in the UK. If you want foreign channels as well as UK ones then this might be the solution, though I don't know for sure. A couple of years back I bought a simple receiver in Germany and was able to get the free UK channels - Beeb etc. - that are on Sky's Astra satellites. Finding reliable information, as always in the fast moving world of consumer electronics, is difficult...