5.0 out of 5 stars Long overdue DVD now on the shelves !
The Pertwee era is my favourite from Doctor Who - although the Tom era runs it close. The Daemons epitomises my first-hand memories of the show when I was a child - the Doctor/Jo pairing, the Master, Unit, but all fans of the show will know the plot.

Published on 19 Mar 2012 by pertweefan

3.0 out of 5 stars A Devil's Hump, A Curate's Egg
"Coming up later tonight on BBC3, the forces of Satan himself are unleashed in a live broadcast from the hellmouth itself! But first, an all-new 'Snog, Marry, Avoid?'!"

There's a slight oversight on this DVD, unless it's in an easter egg I haven't found, and that's the continuity announcer from the repeat of episode three twenty years ago. "Only Doctor Who can...
Published on 17 Mar 2012 by P. Galey

5.0 out of 5 stars Long overdue DVD now on the shelves !, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] (DVD)

The restoration is a step up again from the previous attempt 20 years ago - advances in technology having made this possible. For the first time, we see the raw material they had to work with and appreciate how much work has gone into this. See the decidedly mediocre picture quality on the Tomorrow's World clips, the terrible picture sparkle on the closing stages of the restoration test, and hear the wobbly sound particularly on the closing credits !.
To be picky, in general I think the location material looks a little inferior to the parts recorded in studio - just a little grainy, but nothing to worry about.

The extras are very well done. It's a pity that rights issues prevented Return to Devils End being included, but in its absense a nice "making of" story has been assembled - featuring some of the surviving cast and crew (but why no Stephen Thorne, who gave a good contribution to the recent Three Doctors rerelease ?). The tribute to Barry Letts is a fitting one to the late producer whom Who fans have much to thank for. And like the similar Hinchcliffe feature from the recently-released "Android Invasion" it prominently features his children, who knew him best. Some nice colour film from location,
the Tomorrow's World feature and colourisation test I have already mentioned and the usual photos and trailer (in this case for Nightmare of Eden) round things off.

Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars almost a five (-pointed) star, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] (DVD)
Long-awaited DVD and a story that holds a special place in my memory. Still think it's a great story and I have had to struggle to make it 4 rather than 5 stars. It made quite an impact on first viewing back in 1971 but now I cannot quite shake off some niggles (and I am being pedantic now) such as why the Doctor held back so long before confronting The Master when he'd worked out early on who the vicar was and the Morris dancers' scene just doesn't have the same impact as I recall (of course in the intervening years we've all seen The Wicker Man - the original is a superb horror film by the way). OK niggles over. This story has some great characters and some great scenes; I worried that Azal might look superimposed in colour but it looks pretty good after all these years (no cringing needed). We get to see more of Sgt Benton and Capt Yates than normal. The action scenes are very well done and the excellent use of a helicopter and RAF jet scenes reminded me of the classic 1968 Invasion story. It feels now like a period piece with traditional local English villagers but that's to be expected - it's 40 years' old! Oh how I wish we could have had a few Boks running amok but the one used works well on screen with horrid little jerky movements like a monkey wanting to please its Master. I liked the sinister images of normal people being taken over by "evil" influence. If you like the Pertwee era then this has to go into your collection. The restoration team have given us back a classic and it's one that I will watch more than once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down at Devil's End, 29 April 2012
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] (DVD)
The fifth and final story from Jon Pertwee's second year as Doctor Who comes to DVD, with all five episodes on one disc. Plus a second disc full of extras.

At this time in the show's history, the Doctor was still exiled to Earth, and was working with U.N.I.T. to combat menaces that came their way. Such as rogue Timelord the Master. Who was up to no good in every story of the season.

In the usually quiet village of Devil's End, strange things are going on. An archaeological dig is about to open up an ancient burial site. One local eccentric predicts trouble will follow, but nobody takes her seriously. The new Vicar though looks a lot like the Master, and is very interested in what the dig will unearth. A deadly threat to all life on Earth.

Can the Doctor and U.N.I.T. save the day?

There comes a point in the life of many TV shows when they know exactly what they are doing and all involved, as a result, are at the top of their game. Thus whatever the quality of the script, anything they produce will always be something worth watching.

The Daemons does have a very good script. Coupled in this instance with a cast and production team who had settled into their roles and were producing quality work, the Daemons is a classic of the show because of that. With great moments for all the regular characters, a good setting, memorable monsters, and some very quotable lines of dialogue, the Daemons is a perfect example of the best of it's era. And it was a very good era. So it's a great story as a result.

For many years, as a result of the old BBC practice of wiping video tape they thought they'd never need to use again, the original colour copies of almost all of the Daemons were no longer with us. The BBC held black and white ones, and rather poor quality colour ones obtained from American broadcast of the show. Back in the 90's when it was first released on VHS, it was re-coloured, using techniques that were pretty new and very advanced. At the time.

But technology marches on, and this version has been re-coloured again. Using much more advanced techniques for that. The picture quality isn't one hundred percent perfect, but it's still entirely watchable. And you probably wouldn't even notice anything amiss if you weren't aware of the history of this aspect of the story in advance.

Disc one of this two disc dvd has all five episodes of the story.

The language and subtitle options [for this as well as the extras on disc two] are as follows

Languages: English.

Subtitles: English.

It's also English audio captioned.

Disc one also has a commentary on the story from three of the cast plus the director.

Disc two has the following extras:

Radio Times listings for the story as a PDF file.

Production information subtitles.

A photo gallery of stills from the story and it's production.

A trailer for the next release in this dvd range [epileptics beware some fast editing in this].

There's also:

The Devil Rides out: a thirty minute [approx] long and typically excellent making of documentary.

Remembering Barry Letts: a thirty five minute long feature about the producer of the Pertwee era of the show. A good tribute that also covers his earlier years as an actor. And offers some interesting glimpses of long forgotten tv.

Location film: a six minute long film of the story being made on location. There's no sound but some memorable images of actors and crew at work and waiting to work.

Tomorrow's world: a five minute long clip from a 1990's edition of the bbc show about new inventions that looks at the way the story was re-coloured for the VHS release.

And there's also colourisation test: the first episode of the story after the original test, back in the 90's to see if it could be re-coloured. This test wasn't quite successful thus the version shown here is of less quality than the one on the VHS release. But it's an interesting curio should you be interested.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would you believe, Magic?, 29 Mar 2012
Phil Rosenbach (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] (DVD)
The Daemons is, in my humble opinion, one of the higher ranking stories during the Pertwee Era. I'm not going to recap this story, because any web search on this will give you approximately four hundred million billion hits. Research the story line elsewhere if you must, but I'm not going to beat a dead horse, or sacrifice a live goat. I will tell you one thing about this story though, for all of you Bible thumpers out there, no churches were blown up in the making of this story.

The picture quality of this DVD has improved considerably, as we would hope it would. Additionally, the text and audio commentaries, as well as the other special features, do their usual job of enchancing the viewing of this story which I appreciate. Regarding the audio commentary, it consists of director Christopher Barry, and the actors, Katy Manning, (Jo Grant), Richard Franklin, (Captain Mike Yates), and Damaris Hayman, (Miss Hawthorne, the white witch). Listening to these four was delightful, insightful, and entertaining. Better still, Toby Hadoke was NOT in any way a part of the commentary.

Now as much as I love to gripe about 2|entertain, I have to say that this release did make it over the Devil's Hump, but just. It's too bad that they were not able to include "Return to Devil's End" with this release. Although from what I understand, it couldn't be included due to some copyright matter. In its place, a `making of' feature is included which helped to partially fill that void. I feel that the most notable extra is a tribute to Barry Letts. At the time of writing this, it has been a little over two years since he was given his own TARDIS, and departed from us. You may think me strange for saying this, but I truly miss this man whom I never met. But thanks to his numerous commentaries on other Doctor Who DVDs, and the special features he took part in, I can honestly say that, in my opinion, he was one THE BEST producers to date.

If I were able to give a fractional rating, I would give this 3½ pentagrams, due to the fact that I feel that this release should have had MORE special features. Only two or three of them were worth taking the time to watch. One of the special features is little over 6 minutes of silent footage which was somewhat interesting, but the "Colourisation Test" was just the first episode with crappy colour. A side by side comparison of the picture would have been interesting, but to just show us the crappy version is just lazy. But since I cannot give a 3½ pentagram rating, I'll round this up to 4 pentagrams.

My bottom line is... (I REALLY need to come up with something more original than "My bottom line is")... any fan of the Pertwee Era, as well as that of Roger Delgado and U.N.I.T., should make this a MUST HAVE for their collection.

Referring back to the content of this story, which again you should know by now before reading my review, let's just say that for those of you who have a problem with the idea of Devil worship, well then, the Hell with you. Just Kidding.

I hope that this review was helpful to you, and please tell me your opinion(s) on my review so that I can hopefully improve upon future ones. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hopefully, consider my humble opinion(s).

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-Mastered, 13 April 2013
Stevos (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] (DVD)
The Daemons (where's the symbol to combine the a and e?) is often held up as a classic example of good 70s Doctor Who, and I am in full agreement. It has all the usual ingredients:
* UNIT family at the top of their game;
* the Doctor both stern and tender;
* lots of action; and
* the Master both suave, evil and likeable.

The occult framing device works well, as we get to see the Doctor's unswerving belief in science pitted against the villagers embracing devil worship.

Personally, I always felt the Daemons lacked something. I'm not even quite sure what it is. Perhaps the plot meanders just a bit too much... And yet I love The Sea Devils, which I'm sure the same accusation could be levelled at too.

I find myself agreeing with Terrance Dicks (in one of the extras) that the ending isn't totally satisfying.

The extras are all good, and the picture quality is excellent. Definitely worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Doctor Who Classic, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent production, costume and special effects limited as you would expect as it was broadcast 41 years ago, but the lead characters are superbly acted and the plot line is very interesting. I am a big doctor who fan so really enjoyed this dvd. Jon Pertwee is as compelling as ever as the Doctor and Roger Delgado the perfect nemesis as the Master.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic example of early 70s Who!!!, 28 Oct 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] (DVD)
I had never seen this story until I brought this release and I must say it was not a waste of money. I loved it.

Jon Pertwee - The Doctor
Katy Manning - Jo Grant
(This story ranked 34th in 2009 in Doctor Who Magazine's, Mighty 200 Pol)
Highly reccomended tale!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Daemons, 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] (DVD)
I've only one thing to say, really, about this excellent story. Why isn't there an option on the DVD, among the Special Features, to view the story in black-and-white; the b/w versions of the recolourised stories are actually of better quality because colourisation can result in bleeding etc and the overall look isn't, in my view, quite so satisfactory. After all, b/w is how I first watched the story way back in 1971! I hope the option will be taken up for The Mind Of Evil and Ambassadors Of Death. There will be different opinions on the subject but we should at least have a choice.

It was the first one I watched all the way through and as such has special memories for me. I used to imagine the village was the one in Worcestershire where my great-aunt, who we often used to visit during my child- and young adulthood, lived and of which I have many fond recollections. I'm pleased to see Daemons appears to have been rehabilitated, along with Planet of the Spiders, because it's nowhere near as bad as its reputation at one time would have had you believe. Azal is particularly impressive, and one of the better examples of the use of CSO in the series, along with the Krynoid and K1 Robot later on. And of course Daemons is definitive of the whole Pertwee era. Nice to see Yates and Benton in civvies and acting as investigators as much as soldiers, which was meant to be part of UNIT's function. In both capacities they're quite well-used. By contrast - and this is my only real gripe about the story - the Brigadier comes over largely as a figure of fun. He spends a lot of time trying to break through the heat barrier and once he does plays no useful part in things, attempting with a total lack of success to get past Bok and into the church and losing personnel in the process.

As a Christian I'm not offended by the fictional blowing up of the church; it's only drama. It's more worrying that the Vicar seems to suddenly disappear and be replaced by a phoney who's up to no good without the religious authorities suspecting anything. We're not THAT useless in the C of E!

Guy Blythman

5.0 out of 5 stars The best :), 26 Mar 2012
Mr. P. R. Lambert "Pete Lambert" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] (DVD)
At last! They've really done this joyfully magnificent story justice with an excellent DVD release. I first saw it at a British Film and TV festival in a little old cinema in Bradford in the early 80s, in black and white, and it still makes me think "there is magic in the world after all".

5.0 out of 5 stars The Spare Lemon, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] (DVD)
Perhaps it was just the age of Aquarius, but I'm inclined to hope that there was more to this singular success than pseudo-science and a quote from Hair.

The script, certainly; penned by Robert Sloman and Barry Letts, it is tailored very strongly to the traits and strengths of well-known characters, the Brigadier getting most of the best lines, while Yates and Benton agreeably bicker about rugby and grumble about food - to be continued in the following story. The UNIT 'family' functioning at its best, and they're all out in the country for a picnic with Dennis Wheatley.

I don't think I've ever met a Satanist; Avebury, where I lived for a Summer season, had its magic (or is that Majick?) shop, but nobody ever introduced himself as 'I'm Damien; I'm a Satanist' (I did meet a self-confessed 'black magician' in Cardiff, come to think of it, but he just seemed to be a poorly-turned-out fraud with tomato soup in his whiskers, and his magical adventures seemed more inclined to summon the constabulary than the Lord of Flies). Be that as it may, in the Whoniverse every village - be it Devil's End, Fetchborough, the one nearest to the Nine Travellers, or Moreton Harwood - has its blood sacrifice cult* - providing that the local cannibals haven't eaten them - and this is the original example, the master print, if you like.

There is still a delicious double irony in the Master working as a country vicar - and moonlighting (literally) as the head of a Satanist coven. And you can see what might attract him; he needs to summon up the devil, therefore he needs the cult, but Satanism is taboo so he needs a legit occupation, so he could also be the leader of a different cult as a day job - same line of work, just for different firms. The fact that the two cults are supposed (by some humans anyway) to be on opposite sides of the moral coin is just one more twist on the joke, and the Master does love his little joke. I like it that his take on Christianity is to talk about rationalism and existentialism - rather as if he has a copy of Jesus For Dummies somewhere but hasn't actually got beyond the magazine 'Philosophy Today' that he got in the newsagent.

In terms of Satanic Black Magic, the Deamons really has got the lot; animated stone imps, hissing black cats, sudden death in the churchyard, possessed policeman, the aforesaid black-robed cult, widespread local corruption, and a village witch.

Now witches I have met, and in some number, and Damaris Hayman's portrayal of Miss Olive Hawthorne is pretty damn true to what form I've seen. I seem to recall her expressing at least a nodding acquaintance with magic in The Making Of, and it really does not surprise me, she is highly plausible, and Miss Hawthorne quite clearly knows her stuff - witness her banishing the evil influence that's possessing Constable Groom - whatever the power or rationale behind it, magic clearly works.

And this is one of the strengths of the story; whatever it tells us, it says it with a perfectly straight face - there is the BBC, there is the country village, there is rugby football, there is black magic, there is a fifty foot Deamon, there is the heat barrier, and that must be real because it's set fire to a bread van. The devil is a big idea, it doesn't matter if we really believe in him or not; this story makes him plausible by not getting operatic about him.

The village of Aldbourne is a delightful location, and still does quite well for Deamons tourists. A 'Third Lord Aldbourne' gets mentioned by the BBC anchorman.

My only misgiving is the explanation, and indeed the denouement. The idea of god legends being inspired by alien visitors was coined by Erich von Daniken in Chariots of the Gods three years earlier, and Dr Who returns to the notion (doing it rather better) in Pyramids of Mars, but while I can buy the 'Satan was an alien' bit, I'm not sure I'm so comfortable with the 'Humanity is an experiment' idea, or with the 'I'm going to hand on my powers to someone else' bit. It all seems a bit pat, when compared to the honest to badness 'I am the Devil, and I'm going to eat everyone's soul'.

And if Azal were simply the Devil, then Jo's melodramatic attempt at self-sacrifice might well banish him back to his pit of fire and brimstone, but if the horn'd beast is really just a disappointed scientist, he'd just knock Jo aside with a spatula and get on with killing the Dr.

Nice church explosion though, and the Morris Dancing set piece is wonderful, and the heat barrier is beautifully realised, and the ending is a delight.

*Or, in one conspicuous example, ridiculously well-equipped re-enactment society.

ARRAY(0xa5344534)

Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD]
Doctor Who: The Dæmons [DVD] by Jon Pertwee (DVD - 2012)