5.0 out of 5 stars Shocked
I am shocked at the difference between having a sound card and onboard sound. This may only be an entry level cheap end of the market but it definately does the job well.

Published on 4 Jan 2012 by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not bad
It's not amazing but it does do the job.

It better than the standard audio and converts you tube video to 5.1 as well, I can;t tell much of a difference but does improve sound conversion into 5.1
Published 6 months ago by jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocked, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card (Accessory)

I've been using a pair of AX 720s on my onboard Formula V sound and i kept getting a cracking/popping noise which was driving me nuts. The sound quality was good, or atleast I thought it was good...

I've been listening to my favourite music for the best part of an hour now as if it were the first time I'd heard the songs. I feel ashamed to have spent so much money on my other pc components and headset while overlooking such a valuable piece.

A definite must have and for the price it's amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend the Xonar DG, 30 May 2012
Dad "Just a DAD" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card (Accessory)
Same incredible sound as the D1 and D2 cards (no noticeable difference). Excellent W764 drivers and audio interface. Built-in headphone amp. HD audio connector for front panel mic and headphone ports. EQ and EAX effects applied to input signal with absolutely no interference (great for plugging in game consoles or other devices). Amazing clarity at high volumes. Perfect for music, movies and games.

In my quest for the ideal sound card, I've used Creative, Turtle Beach, HT Omega, Diamond Xtreme 7.1, and Auzentech (all sold here), but I kept coming back to the Xonar.

I have the audio from my 360, PS3, and Roland drum kit running into my sound cards, so this was important. Absolutely no interference with the DG's line-in. As stated above, EQ and EAX effects also apply to the line-in signal; a feature very few cards out there have. Most just allow audio pass-through. So I'm pretty psyched about the DG.

I just can't believe what appears to be a stripped down version totally holds its own against the more expensive Xonar cards, or any of the others I've mentioned for that matter. For a 2.1 or 5.1 setup, there's little reason to go any other route. I'm not an audiophile; more like an audio aficionado. And I highly recommend the Xonar DG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, when you use the correct drivers. Use for headphones., 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card (Accessory)
Chose this rather than the PCIe version as the PCIe version is exactly the same but requires an additional power connector because they didn't bother updating the architecture to run it from the PCIe connection.

For some reason Win 7 64 bit does not recognise the card as installed when you first put it in. This was resolved by starting the driver install from disc, which then hangs as it can't see the card, then just reboot and it magically appears, then reinstall the driver.

First impressions were good, much, MUCH, better for headphones. Bass was actually noticeable and music is clearer across the board (not just louder, but much better depth). A real improvement for your headphones.

However, I did have some issues with some occasional noise/crackling when listening to music.

This was resolved by using the Xonar Unified Drivers, which are basically optimised and up to date drivers which have the bugs removed. The unified drivers are made by some talented bloke for free. Search google to find them. If you are wary of downloading stuff off the internet (as you should be) search the asus forums where these drivers are mentioned and highly recommeded by the community there.

Hoenstly, with the unified drivers the sound is noticeably improved over the latest drivers that Asus offers online, so please do get them.

Without the unified drivers this soundcard would get 3 or 4 stars, with the driver it is a clear 5 star winner.

I have a pair of AKG K550 headphones and these sound great with this card. Not as good as when connected directly to my Marantz CD player, but much better than I would expect from a PC with a 25 quid soundcard.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW...hearing things differently, 26 Jun 2012
This review is from: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card (Accessory)
Only had this product a week so possible edit's to this review as time goes on.

I wanted a Sound Card to accompany some headphonesDenon AHD510 Over Ear Headphones - Black I received as a Father's Day present I settled upon this one due to cost and overall reviews on Amazon and other websites....I am very happy with my choice.

Package arrived after 2 days of me placing the order it is an OEM product so no box just the card with a manual and driver discs

Installation was easy enough....open computer case find a empty PCI slot remove back panel push card in and screw in (this took a little bit of fiddling as it didn't line up exactly but with a few tweaks it screwed in, then you need to locate the front panel audio cable for my motherboard this was easy if unsure check the manual that came with your Mobo.

After install I rebooted my computer and go nothing didn't automatically detect BUT I didn't expect it to after I popped in the driver CD loaded up and away we go..to go from this to onboard sound is a big leap the sound difference when music is being played through my monitor's speakers isn't that different 10-15% louder on 100 volume but plug the headphones in and it opens up another level of sound quality I am currently at 60 volume and at a a quarter to half on Youtube depending on the song and that is plenty.

Using the Audio Centre is also easy and the 7.1 surround sound is a great feature especially when watching films using the headphones...Overall a very good entry level,cheap but powerful soundcard to the point I am thinking of getting some decent speakers to really do it justice.

Happy giving my music collection a new lease on life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Windows 7 64bit, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card (Accessory)
I had been having trouble with the on-board sound of my PC. This card installed straight out of the box with no problems. The driver disk worked fine too. I am using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound card, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card (Accessory)
For this price, there's really nothing you can argue with. I'm listening to my music and i'm hearing so much more detail in my music than I did with my old set-up. Music now sounds crisper and there is far more bass which I really like!

However, I wanted to use a S/PDIF cable with my new sound card and was frustrated after first turning my computer on after installing the card that I was getting no sound. This is because in the 'Asus Xonar DG Audio Center' software that comes on the disc you need to enable the 'S/PDIF Out' box in the settings panel (even though it made no mention of it in the quick start guide).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 22 Nov 2012
PB (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card (Accessory)
Bought this due to buzzing noises when using on-board sound. I wasn't expecting much due to the low price, but I was pleasantly surprised when I first plugged myself in and fired up BF3. Everything sounded crisper and mp3s sounded that little bit better.

Don't get me wrong the improvement over on-board sound was fantastic, but for the audiophile amongst us you may be better off getting a more expensive fancy card that has all the bells and whistles. For the Joe Bloggs who want a step up from the on-board sound without breaking the bank then this is the card for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple, and brilliant quality., 8 Nov 2012
Christopher Moore (Cornwall, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card (Accessory)
First of all, the card was shipped and posted very quickly, arriving in just 3 days after the order, with free delivery.
Upon arrival it was incredibly easy to set this card up, simply push it into the PCI slot, ensuring you ground any static charge, and boot up your computer. Personally I installed the driver straight from the CD, rather than waiting for windows update, and this worked perfectly, with no problems.

Once installed I noticed an immediate difference, previously I had an unbranded, 15 card, which had low quality, and couldn't really cope with 5.1 surround sound, which I'm glad to say this one does, to a brilliant degree. The included software also has a good speaker test included.

I would thoroughly recommend this PCI sound card to anyone who was interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card. BUY IT, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card (Accessory)
This sound card is ASUS so I knew the quality of this would be top notch and it really does not disappoint.
Installation was a piece of cake and didn't need to change nothing in BIOS which was a plus.
The sound it self is unbelievable for 24.99 I really didn't expect the sound to be this good.
I am running only via a old High Fi but music sound so good you have to hear it for your self.
Gaming wise again it really did surprise me while playing DayZ (Arma 2 mod) I could tell that a player was coming up a stairwell in a apartment block and it was pin point even via my standard HI FI speakers.

Got a gaming headset soon to arrive and will update review. But as it is I really couldn't be more please with what I have got even more so for 25 quid. BUY IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away by the amazing sound, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card (Accessory)
Bought this for our ageing MESH PC to upgrade the internal sound as it was showing signs of degrading.

Originally went for a SoundBlaster Audigy SE but this just locked up the PC (even though its only running Windows Vista) and after hours of updating drivers and playing with the BIOS I had to give up and return the card for a refund. Creative's website was less than helpful as it regards this card as legacy and out-of-support! Needless to say I will never buy a Creative product again.

So when I received this card it was with some trepidation that I went to install it. However, no problem! In went the card, installed the drivers from the Asus website (easilly located) and we had a card up and running after a reboot. Fabulous!!!! Only one small issue was that the microphone input had been disabled beacuse the installation had defaulted the input to the "front mic". Once this was corrected by unticking the box in the Custom tab of the microphone properties window everything was fine.

Blown away by the sound quality for gaming and music. The difference between this and the onboard sound is just incredible! The headphone settings are awesome and I love the xonar audio panel where you can customise all your sound settings.

This card is an amazing buy for under 25.

Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card