5.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare...
Being an fan of crime thrillers and having previously read all of Stephen Leathers 'Spider Shepherd' series I was initially unsure about reading this series due to the Supernatural theme. Reading Cursed: A Jack Nightingale Short Story as an intro to the series and Nightfall: The First Jack Nightingale Supernatural Thriller soon had me hooked.

In this the third...
Published on 17 Mar 2012 by Big Bertha

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite Stephen Leather character
This is the third book in the Jack Nightingale series, a supernatural series exploring the afterlife, and communicating with the dead, notably Sophie, a young girl Nightingale was powerless to stop from dying when Nightingale was a cop. Truth be told this isn't my type of book but being a fan of Stephen Leather's other books I was interested to read it. I must also add...
Published on 30 Jan 2012 by Darren Simons

5.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare..., 17 Mar 2012
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nightmare (The 3rd Jack Nightingale Supernatural Thriller) (Kindle Edition)

In this the third in the Jack Nightingale series, ex Police Officer turned Private Eye Jack is still disturbed by the events that led to the death of a young girl Sophie in the first book and feels that she is trying to reach him from the other side.

It's not really necessary to read the books in the correct order as enough background and history is provided so that a new reader picking this up can follow the plot. That said I don't think the relationship between the characters can be fully realised without reading the full story.

I like Jack Nightingale as a character, he's not perfect by any means; he smokes too much, drinks too much and treats his loyal assistant Jenny appallingly but all of this makes him more realistic and likeable as a character. The relationship between Jack and Jenny is sparky and makes for entertaining reading.

The ending of the book wasn't what I was expecting but it certainly opens up all sorts of possibilities as to where the author is going to take this series next and I'll certainly be first in line for the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable considering it was the third book in the series!, 25 May 2012
Gary Hilton "ursinebrute" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hadn't read any other Stephen Leather books, and it was only once I'd started that I realised it was the third book in a series! Fortunately I can honestly say it's a great stand alone novel; well written it drew me into the storyline and I could identify with the main character. Yes, there are clichés, such as Jack "sharing" a bottle with a deceased friend at their graveside. I particularly enjoyed the well crafted finale, but I'm slightly annoyed with myself that I didn't spot it being set up.
If you like a bit of supernatural mixed in with crime, then go for this! Good main character, quite quirky. Good fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hesitating? Don't., 9 May 2012
If, like me, you question whether you will enjoy a supernatural thriller, I recommend you try the Jack Nightingale trilogy as it won't disappoint. Stephen Leather demonstrates his ability to master a new genre, offering a rich variety to his work.

While quite different from Leather's Dan Shepherd thrillers, the trilogy, which begins with Nightfall, is just as gripping as we follow the mysteries of Jack Nightingale, a former Met hostage negotiator turned private eye.

4.0 out of 5 stars Am enjoyable read - very well written, 3 April 2012
Brimming with likeable characters and gritty drama this is an easy read....with a few twists and turns to boot.

Unlike some thrillers, Leather does not lose any pace throughout the book, I was kept intrigued and interested right to the end.

You get to know a little about the main characters and you are left wanting more.... a sure sign of good quality writing.

It is very well written, fast paced, a sprinkling of humour and an obvious love by Leather of crime and the underworld. His passion seeps through on every page the way he cleverly pulls the reader in to find out what happens next.

A great read for thriller fans......... bring on the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Again another day spent with Jack Nightingale!, 10 Jun 2012
I started reading and that was it AGAIN! I didn't put it down even managing to cook while reading. I love the characters. I knew from the first book that Jenny would be pivotal and wasn't disappointed with how her character was brought to the fore. Thank you Stephen for many hours of pleasurable reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nightmare you won't want to wake up from!, 30 Mar 2012
I'm a big fan of Stephen Leathers, especially of his Nightingale triology.
I finished reading Nightmare today, and I have to say, it's my favourite of his novels.
Amazing plot twists (just when you think you know what's coming up, something else arrives to slap you in the face!), unsettling scenes, gritty gangsters and deals with demons.... ! Stephen Leather really tackles it all in this amazing book. I simply can't recommend it enough - whether you love horror, crime, psychological novels - there is something in this novel for everybody, even if that does sound a little cliche!
Go on, give it a go. You won't be disappointed. I'm tempted to read it again myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 21 April 2012
Please keep writing these books Mr Leather.

I was hooked from the first book which I got whilst on holiday and didn`t really expect to enyoy, boy was I wrong, and this third book in the series gives more clarity to follow what happened in the first one - amazeballs :)

Please hurry with the fourth I am excited to see what happens next!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read., 17 April 2012
Very much of the Leather style which I find so easy and entertaining to read, just when you you think you know where the story is going a further twist of intrigue is thrown in.

5.0 out of 5 stars The nightmare continues, 10 Mar 2012
Stephen leather continues to enthrall with the latest jack nightingale book, the third in the series.It is absolutely brilliant a cannot put it down book. The tale of jack nightingale continues and the story. Grips from the start and gathers pace with new twists all the way.
With his PA Jenny by his side and his beloved mgb the story hauntingly continues. A little girl Sophie who features in his two previous Nightingale books plays a major part in this latest part of Jacks quest into the dark side. There are moments of humour in this book and in the last part the writing is really provoking and beautiful. Its hard to write without giving away the plot but I can recommend this book if you like tales of of darkness and light then this is for you. Please read all the nightingale books you will be well rewarded and like me cannot wait until the next time Jack Nightingale is told he is going to hell.
Brilliant as always read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Nightingale, 21 Jan 2012
Wow!!
I Have just finished reading the latest installment of Stephens latest book, and can honestly say it was a great read.
I was never really interested in supernatural books before, but as I like Stephen Leathers other books I thought I would try them. All three books in this series are really good and will get you hooked from the first pages!
Jack is a very believable character and I found the supernatural side of the story very interesting!
Im not a great review writer,but try it for yourself and you wont be disappointed!