on 8 January 2010
This is another book I've read recently that reads just like a movie. It reminded me of SAW. Although the story is different, it has the same level of violence and tension, with a typical movie style ending. This is a long way from the Shaun Hutson novels I remember reading (Slugs, Spawn,) but it worked well and I wasn't disappointed.

We are introduced to Detective Inspector Joe Chapman, who's typically flawed with an unhappy marriage, an affair with a work colleague under his belt and a runaway daughter who can't deal with her dysfunctional family. All he needs to complete the stereotype is to be an alcoholic, but fortunately Hutson refrains from the conventional. However, I think that because of these flaws the character is actually quite likeable and believable.
The plot is a good one (which I wont go into as it will give too much away). It is a slow burner but it eventually kicks into high gear when Chapman becomes the hunted rather than the hunter.

This is a very violent book with a significant amount of bad language. Some of it made me wince, and the rape scene was pretty horrific, but it embedded itself well in the story and didn't feel out of place, although it did make for uncomfortable reading. However, it's suppposed to make you feel like that; it is Shaun Hutson after all.

Verdict:

This is a phychological horror which is full of brutality and bloodshed. It is well executed and I would definitely read more from this author. However, I would only recommend it to like minded people who enjoy horror and can deal with, or are used to, reading books of this nature.
on 18 December 2011
I've not read any of Shaun Hutson's books for a long while but this one caught my eye - and I'm glad it did.
It is the story of a bunch of detectives and their search for the maker of what could be snuff movies. It seems someone is having people hunted and killed for 'entertainment' but the officers have nothing to go on - until the DI leading the case becomes the target.
The book reads like something similar to the Saw movies or a pretty gruesome video game. Some of the scenes were slightly disturbing but horror isn't meant to be nice. At times it was slightly predictable but that doesn't stop it being an enjoyable, pedal to the metal read.
Maybe not for the faint hearted but if you've got the stomach for it you're in for a good time
on 31 January 2012
This book needs no explanation as it is described by other readers.I found it a bit slow to start but could not put it down until I finished it as it grips you as you get into the story. Brilliant Shaun Hutson as usual...keep them coming.
on 19 November 2012
Body Count gripped me from the start. I found it very hard to put this one down. The trademark Hutson short chapters and straight to the point story made the pages fly by. As one other reviewer commented this story does remind me of the video game Manhunt. There's no messing around with Hutson - just straight into the action. If you want a book that is going to keep you on edge and you like the idea of testicles being popped with nailguns and killer dogs being chainsawed in half then this will be right up your street! One of the most addictive books I've ever read. Outstanding
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2010
Body Count feels like a cross between Saw, the Manhunt video game and a few other books (unnamed to prevent spoilers). This is no bad thing and Hutson keeps the pace quick, the action simple and avoids any lengthy character development. There are a few twists to keep the story fresh, however for the most part, Body Count is a relatively simple and straightforward little thriller. An easy way to kill a few hours, with Hutson's now trademark scene of testicle violence included.
on 19 February 2013
This was recomended to me and I am glad it was it was a fabulous read. Ecellent thriller with twists
on 17 February 2015
A quick read, but totally engrossing. Hutson keeps the pace moving at a good rate, and you'll be on the edge of your seat as you follow our hero and daughter as they fight for their lives.
on 30 November 2009
I have been a keen follower of all things Shaun Hutson for many years and become very protective when someone wants to borrow one of my collection.

I am sad to say that this is one book I would gladly give away. Very disappointing and predictable. Not boiling or even simmering..... just tepid. I even missed out chapters as I couldnt be bothered.

What happened to the palpitation provoking novels of the past ?
on 10 February 2016
shaun hutson is great I have most of his books on paperback but after getting the kindle app this had to be one of my first purchases :)
Shaun used to one of my top five favourite authors and with his earlier works always fulfilling my reading need his work ended up at the top of my TBR pile.

However recent releases have seen him slipping further and further down my favoured list until now he's clinging on by his fingernails.

This opinion of him isn't improved with his latest offering in which a Policeman who whilst searching for his runaway daughter gets thrown some bizarre cases that seem to defy logic. The fact that the victims are all criminals make ie even more incredulous but what really took the biscuit was how this aged, unfit copper was able to become more than human as he leaps trashed cars like a proverbial superhuman. As with most writing, I can accept the improbable but the impossible really does take the mick. A great shame to be honest, although the main pleasure I got out of this book was to envision the protagonist as Philip Glenister's DCI Gene Hunt. However, Shaun is going to have to reinvent himself as I wonder how many fans he's not only losing but how many are thinking of constructive ways to plot their revenge for another poor release.