5.0 out of 5 stars Seductively Dark

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not going to change your life
Published on 28 Oct 2011 by Alexa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Seductively Dark, 9 Oct 2011
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We follow on from Book 1, where we met Natsy who is an Immortal who is trying to change the selfish, dark and misuse of magic that she has been doing all of her life up until coming to River's. It seemed that the last book suggested that Nasty was well on the road to some kind of enlightenment and change. This book highlights that Nasty is not out of the woods yet and there are a few (excuse the pun) nasty surprises along the way in this installment.

We follow Nastys continuing journey in her strive to be better, to change her ways and harness her inner magic. Having learned, like us, the importance of her being and how powerful her magic is previously, we know that people such as Incy are still hot on her tail to get it.

In a series of bust ups, mistakes and just feeling like she can't do the whole being good and puritan gig, nasty begins to doubt she can ever be good and starts to slide back to her old ways. Pushing Reyn, River and all those around her away, she lacks the confidence and will to fight it. And when Incy turns up just at the moment her new life is all falling apart, all charismatic and normal, not like the horrible nightmares of him she has been having, she chooses to go back to the reckless way of life she was living before, undoing everything she has been working so hard to attain.

We see Nasty go back to the lavish lifestyle of expensive clothes, hotels and drunken nights but when Incy works some Dark Magic on an unsuspecting victim in a club, Nasty is brought back to reality and begins to wonder if the nightmares she has been having have truth in them after all. With Tiernan increasingly upping the anti, we begin to see the change in Incy that he has been so cleverly hiding slip; his dark side and we can almost feel it seeping through the pages with a seductively dark, horrific and unbelievably climatic ending which has you on the edge of your seat. While tragedy has fallen, so it seems, has darkness.

At least for the time being...

Cassandra220689

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Sequel, 15 Dec 2011
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Please bear in mind that this is Book 2 in the series and may therefore contain spoilers for book 1.

I had forgotten how much I loved Nastasya's narrative voice, her snarkiness and sarcasm where like a breath of fresh air. The way in which she directly addresses the reader (me) really made me feel part of the events. Her inner monologues highlighted the range of emotions she underwent due to her circumstances and past history. The vivid detail with which her memories are revealed to both Nasty and me as the reader at the same time enables complete empathy with her.

I have to admit I was really hoping that she would have gone back to her original name, Lilja, in this book rather than sticking with Nastasya, as I completely HATE that name. However, I feel the point to the continued use of Nasty is that it reflects her inner fear that she is Dark.

Further revelations from a number of the characters show that the most important thing is CHOICE. It is how we choose to act that makes all the difference, our choices can be right or wrong, good or bad, dark or light, and that is what matters. Knowing the difference is half the battle. As a certain event with Innocencio proved brilliantly. See you are intrigued now aren't you [ ; D ]

I loved Nasty's character development throughout this book, I find her emotions very realistically portrayed. The constantly questioning decisions and actions is something I am sure we all do, coming to terms with who you are, who you were and who you want to be. I am desperately trying not to spill the beans on this one.

The story unfolded in such a way as to open up a HUGE new plot development, one I am very eager to see where it is going. I have the feeling there is going to be a MAJOR twist in the next book. Speaking of which PLEASE can I have it NOW.

I cannot go through this review without mentioning 2 things that made me drool.

Firstly, Reyn, how could I not mention this piece of Viking hotness. If possible I adored him more in this book than the first. I, for one, don't care what he did in his past, he is just so so so adorable. There is a connection with Nasty that goes way beyond their shared history. For me it is as if they were destined for each other from the very start. There are a number of subtle incidents within the narrative that support this theory. Also the chemistry between Reyn and Nasty could set the page on fire.

Secondly, the shoes, OMGosh the description of Nasty's shoes had me completely coveting them, I sat there wondering what size feet Nasty had and whether I would be able to borrow her shoes. I am also wondering if Cate Tiernan has a shoe collection that might fit me [:D ]

This really is a brilliant sequel to an amazing series. I cannot wait to see what happens next.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not going to change your life, 28 Oct 2011
Alexa (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a dedicated reader of Cate Tiernan, I have read her other two series as well as the first book in this series however after reading this book I can't help but think all her stories are beginning to follow the same plot. I felt the story followed far too closely along the Wicca Series plot line and felt the entire time that I knew what was going to happen. Even the way they are described is similar and this massively took away from the story as it felt like a rehash of her past work.

Nastaya herself also got very tiresome. She was winey and sarcastic and despite the fact that she kept saying how she wanted to improve she refused to get help from her tutors even in situations where it was obvious to do so. It felt like this happened merely as a plot device and therefore the rest of the book felt a bit forced. Nastaya acts like a 12 year old, not someone who is well over 400 and this also felt a bit unrealistic.

However, despite these flaws the book was highly readable and I read it within a few sitting. The story only started to pick up in the last third of the book but once it did it was enjoyable. There is no real substance and it's not going to be a story that stays with you forever but it would make a good holiday read or rainy day book (despite a few really gruesome scenes at the end).

4.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel!, 22 Oct 2011
light (brighton) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've spent a long while waiting for the second book in the series to come out and it didn't dissapoint. The first books was slightly better in my opinion, but it would be hard to follow as it was so amazing. If you liked the first book definitely get this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkness Falls, 26 Aug 2012
This is the second book in the Immortal Beloved series by Cate Tiernan and is just as good, if not better, than the first.

I was instantly plunged back into Natasya's story as I began reading this book. She's still trying to turn over a new leaf but she's worried that her magick may always be dark and harmful to others. She's also trying to deal with choices and decisions that she has made in her past and which she has to face and reflect on before she's fully able to move on.

After running from Incy for so long, we see Nasty getting sucked back into her old life. A large proportion of the story is focused on this and features a number of flashbacks which look at how they embraced their life together before Nasty finally opened her eyes to his true character. It was interesting finding out more about the enigmatic Incy but he's definitely one of my least favourite characters so far.

Although I enjoyed seeing Nasty on her personal road to self-discovery, I actually couldn't wait for her to return to River and co because I like the sense of community she feels when she's with them. It was also pleasing to see how well-rounded her character is becoming under their influence. She's really grown on me since the beginning of the series when I initially found her quite self-centred and I enjoyed seeing different facets of her personality change and develop.

I'm hoping that book three will have more of an emphasis on Nasty's romantic relationship with Reyn. I've loved the idea of them as a couple from the first so I really want to see them explore further their feelings for each other.

`Darkness Falls' has an exciting, pulse-pounding climax and is so good that you won't be able to put it down. Cate Tiernan is a master storyteller and I like the way she combines so many different elements into her books - magick, romance, danger, excitement, history and a character on an incredible journey towards a life of new promise. If you haven't read this book yet then I would recommend grabbing yourself a copy immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 20 Oct 2011
Mrs. Denny S. Abeykoon "Genuine reviews from ... (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Darkness Falls (Immortal Beloved)

Once I picked up this novel I couldn't put it down.Nastasya's character is infectious.She is a laid back,down to earth kind of girl.She is my fav character and it is through her eyes that the story is told.In this novel Cate Tiernan gives her characters such realness and depth you feel as if you know them.I love this book but felt that I was missing too much of the story as I had not read the prequel "Immortal beloved".So my advice would be no to see this as a stand alone novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second book in a new series, it's getting good now!, 6 Oct 2011
Goodenough4me (England UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After the scene setting and background information of the first book in this series (Immortal Beloved), the second book picks up the pace and the result is much better.

The series is based on the idea that immortality exists and focuses on the main character Nastaya, who is immortal and so far has led a life of irresponsibiliy and bad deeds. Wanting to change her ways and become a better person she ends up at a type of rehab for immortals. That is the general gist of the first book of the series. The second book picks up right where the first left off.

I don't want to spoil any of the plot but I think the second book is better than the first. The pace is a bit quicker and the tension moves to the next level in terms of the dangers Nastaya faces. Also the end sets up the next book well and makes you want to read on.

The characters are also more developed and I found myself warming to them much more especially Nastaya. I even found myself laughing out aloud a few times! There is a nice amount of romance as well, enough to satisfy but not too much to overshadow the rest of the plot.

For die hard Cate Tiernan fans, I feel this moving more towards her usual style of writing from series like Wicca and Balefire so very enjoyable!

It is not essential to have read the first book, you could easily pick up what is going on but I would personally reccommend it just because you will have more background information and more knowledge of the characters.

Overall a good, easy read and I will definitely get the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immortal Beloved: Darkness Falls, 30 Sep 2011
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly I was very very happy to manage to snag a copy of Darkness Falls early before it's release date next January as having read the first in the trilogy Immortal Beloved I was keeping an eye out for when the next one in the series was released. Secondly I really really enjoyed this book as well and wasn't disappointed, however without giving the end of the book away I am sort of struggling to imagine what the third book will entail. I've got to say if you're going to read Darkness Falls then I think it's best to have read the first book as otherwise a lot of the bits in this second book either won't make sense or you won't get what the background is and therefore might misjudge.

I don't think I can really add much more to the brilliant review done by Amanda without repeating what she has already said but if you enjoyed the first book then I think you will definitely enjoy this second instalment. If anything the second book has made me like Nastasya more than the first as she finally gets the whole good and evil concept. Innocencio is back and he's been 'hunting' her since she managed to disappear in the first book to the safety of River's farm or rehabilitation centre for immortals as I think of it. It's also a bit more gruesome in this second book and the much awaited romance side doesn't really rear it's head although this may be what the author might concentrate on in the third book (hopefully). Nastasya isn't really having much luck in this third book both with Innocencio after her, problems at work and with those around her and a bit of black magic helping her bad luck out.

If you liked the first book then I think you'll enjoy this instalment, a really good sequel and I can't wait for the third book (Immortal Light) so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars love love love this trilogy, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Darkness Falls: Immortal Beloved: Book Two (Kindle Edition)
I loved this second book in the trilogy probably even more than the first book. I really was on the edge of my seat, completely immersed in the story. Had to sign in to amazon to buy the next one immediately. Excellent stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkness falls, 7 Jun 2014
This was an enjoyable second book, there was a lot of excitement towards the end and the stage is set for the final book which I'm really looking forward to.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›