4.0 out of 5 stars Storm Catchers Captures Imagination
Published on 8 Nov 2003 by squashedmango

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland thriller, saved by a few moments of drama
Tim Bowler wrote one of my favorite books ever, Starseeker. I felt obliged to check-out his other work and soon made my way through Apocalypse, which felt like a two unfinished books melted into one. One of his earlier works, Storm Catchers seemed like a more accessible and down-to-earth premise, so I thought I'd give that a go. Trouble is, it's just kind of ordinary and...
Published on 6 Feb 2007 by Inspector Gadget

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Storm Catchers Captures Imagination, 8 Nov 2003
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
I bought this book a while ago and it went on my pile of books that i intended on reading but never seemed to get round to. When I went on holiday the other week, I took 2 books, this and another one, only really thinking i'd read the other one. I finished the first within the first day or so. I reluctantly picked up "Storm Catchers" and read the first page or two. I was imediately captured in the lives of Ella, Fin, Sammy and all the other intriging characters that made this book a great read. With a twist of magic thrown into the very realistic storyline, this book entertained me through out. I would recommend this book to children over 13 who enjoy a good bit of action. Don't read this book when you're on your own at home and there is a storm brewing.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim's the best!, 20 July 2007
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
Tim Bowler is one of those rare children's authors who never patronise a child. He deals with important issues but in such a way that readers are never bored or talked down to. He doesn't shy away from the difficult stuff and he has the ability to craft a character who the readers actually care for. This book is fast paced, exciting and excellently crafted. A poet working in prose. He is a standard favourite with my children and I think this is one of his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning, 19 July 2007
janto (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
One of the things Tim Bowler is really good at is grabbing the reader's attention from the first page. This is particularly the case with Stormcatchers. Right from the opening words there is an atmosphere of tension. As the story unfolds nothing is quite as it seems and the twist at the end makes you realise that even those we love and trust may be flawed. This is a good read for young teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, fast-moving, thought-provoking book., 4 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
I thought this book, "Storm Catchers," was brilliant. The tension was high and had me gripped from the very beginning to the final page. It is very well written - a powerful and thought- provoking novel. I don't want to give anything away but the ending is excellent - a really clever twist. It is a novel of betrayal and revenge. The plot is well thought-out and intriguing. I have read other books by Tim Bowler, "River Boy" and "Shadows", both of which were very good, but I definitely found this the best. I would recommend it to almost anyone, but especcially people who enjoy books crammed with action and suspense, yet also sensitive and subtle. It was an enthralling book by a captivating author,now one of my favourites, and you're making a mistake if you don't at least try it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stormcatchers- great read!, 19 Feb 2004
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
Stormcatchers is one of the best books i read last year, and i read a fair few i can tell you that! Although it is slow at the beginning and takes a while to get into, it evolves into an excellent novel. you'll find it hard to put down and will be eager to read on and find out the truth. Stormcatcher unravels into an unputdownable, tense mystery and has some unforgettable characters. Ella and finn, the main characters, are entertaining and you'll be biting your nails, hoping that ella escapes the horrific, masked kidnapper. this is an excellent book. go buy it now!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars For a cold winter night, 12 Nov 2007
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
An absolutely thrilling read. Don't be put off by its brevity: it's a sign of mastery that Bowler has crafted a novel with believable characters you really care about, gripping twists and turns, and a satisfying conclusion - all only in 200 pages. And just as in every other Bowler novel, there's no lack of depth. Teens will adore it - Bowler never patronises them - but adults will find it just as pleasurable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Read, 18 July 2007
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
This is another of Tim's page-turners. I just couldn't put it down! He is certainly one of my absolute favourite authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting read, 18 July 2007
A. Giles (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
This is my second favourite of Tim Bowler's books, and for such a good author that means it is a very good book indeed. Storm Cathchers is one of these books where you can see yourself in the film version of it; full of tension and scary dark nights. You know it is most likely going to end well, but you can't just work out how. It's nail biting territory, combined with some very good humour. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes an exciting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An author for all ages., 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
Let me first say, that I am 55 yrs old. I picked it up when i had just finished a particularly heavy (adult) crime novel thinking that i would like something light and easy to read as a change. Storm Catchers was very different to how I imagined a teen novel to be. The plot was not the easy, light, quick read I imagined. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is the first book of Tim Bowler's I have read and I have since bought 5 others of his to read.
It kept me wondering, and on the edge of my seat. I engaged with the main character, Fin, straight away. I loved the style and pace of the novel, I felt the emotions and was not disappointed with the ending.. No spoilers from me, you will have to read it yourself.
I think that Tim Bowler has the unique skill of reaching out to all ages and look forward to reading more of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drama and suspense abound, 18 July 2007
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
There is no doubt that this book is thrilling to read. It hooks you from the first page to the last and it is difficult to put down. It is the mark of a great story teller that not all Bowler's books are the same. Expecting "Starseeker" part 2 in every novel is rather naive and would only detract from Bowler's literary achievements. Yes, "Starseeker" is a truly magnificent novel, in my opinion, but all Bowler's other works have a great deal to commend them, and they appeal to a wide variety of readers. There are times when a reader wants a fast moving and tense thriller such as this, and there are times when deeply reflective and spiritual pieces (such as "Starseeker") appeal. There is a distinct difference between lean prose that is fit for purpose and anorexia- as any sophisticated 13 year old reader could tell you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›