TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 June 2013
I bought this book alongside many other self help books when recovering from depression and trying to help myself. Whereas many of the mindfulness books teach you about the key concepts of your thoughts NOT being you (or reality) in a gentle and almost flowery way (with many also having a religious slant), this book is more direct. In fact, this is probably one of the most down to earth books I have read in this genre and all the better for it. No beating around the bush here, this clubs you over the head with some core truths about how our thoughts and minds work - or rather how they may have gone wrong. No meditation required here, just read it and digest it.

Essentially out of around 30 self help books this is only one of two or three I would keep and would recommend to others. Mostly because the approach taken in this book is so blunt and so unlike all the others. That's the key for me here - finding a book or guide that is in a style that works for YOU.

I also appreciate the author leaving references to God until the end, and not pushing that agenda throughout the book. Essentially, when we "wake up" or (as in my case) heal ourselves of poor mental health, we experience many things through this process that can look and feel special. Some consider this finding God, some consider it just well being or happiness. It didn't become religious for me, but clearly did for the author (as for many people) and the way he explains how this feels towards the end of the book so hits the nail on the head. In fact I asked one of my friends (who was struggling to understand the huge benefits I was feeling from mindfulness and other such things) to read one of the later chapters because it explained it so much better than I could - that sense of awe, that sense of belonging, when you strip through the crud and experience life here and now, as it really is.

Very much recommended from me.
22 comments|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2015
A must read, I always recommend people to read this book, well for anyone that might be interested anyway! I like it's accessibility, as with some spiritual texts can be quite hefty or daunting to someone new to their own personal path, this is a great book to recommend as it is so accessible and written in such an amazingly simple way.

He describes the chapters of the book as merely mirrors for seeing your-self from different angles. And that it certainly does. He says "There is nothing more important to true growth than realizing that you are not the voice of the mind. You are the one that hears it." Succinct and straight to the point Singer puts everything into perspective. Even just reading this book calms your mind, it's as if Singer is directing you straight to source when he says "True personal growth is about transcending the part of you that is not okay and needs protection. This is done by constantly remembering that you are the one inside that notices the voice talking. That is the way out. The one inside who is aware that you are always talking to yourself about yourself is always silent. Come to know the one that watches the voice, and you will come to know one of the mysteries of creation."

I love this as well; "Before you had your current problem, there was a different problem. And if you are wise, you will realise that after this ones gone, there will be another one." Isn't it just amazingly simple?! He also explains that as soon as we get into this mental dialogue and ask "What should I do about it?" You've already fallen into believing that there really is a problem outside. If you want to achieve peace in the face of your problems, you must understand why you perceive a particular situation as a problem.

"You have to break the habit of thinking that the solution to your problems is to re-arrange things outside. The only permanent solution to your problems is to go inside and let go of any part of you that seems to have so many problems with reality."

The thing that hits you the hardest, the reaction of someone else that hurts you the most is the point at which you need to stop and look within yourself. Put all blame aside and look at your reaction, it's not someone else's energy that you feel it is your own. If you never own your pain you end up passing it on by indirectly hurting others while at the sametime hurting yourself and creating a perpetual cycle. The places where your heart jumps and your emotions swing into play with force and vigour, go into it, investigate it and in it you will find a wealth of information about your own conditioning, your own life and your own beautiful complicated heart. It's a great book, I highly recommend it!
on 19 March 2008
I'm surprised this book hasn't received the same explosive acclaim as, say, Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" or Jon Kabat-Zinn's "Wherever You Go, There You Are", because it is, without a doubt, a landmark in the world of self-help publications. It is utterly awe inspiring.

Singers style is calm and patient, he guides you through complex terrain with the ease of a natural teacher - the highest spiritual teachings are laid out with simplicity and grace.

Reading this book has been one of the most profound experiences for me. I highly recommend it to anyone who is curious for more, who has a hunger in their heart for something real, for something to reignite their spirit.
0Comment|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 December 2007
We all have a little voice inside our heads that constantly narrates all of the events of our lives. It rambles on about the events of the day. It reminds us that the person we are talking to is named Sue. It also makes sure that we remember every bad thing that Sue ever did to us and all the judgments we might have about our current conversation.

Often we get so used to this voice endlessly droning on that we aren't even consciously aware of what this voice is saying or how it subconsciously affects everything in our lives. Even when we do recognize the voice, we tend to automatically assume that it is telling us the truth. We don't realize that everything that this voice says is actually colored by our previous experiences, our fears, and our insecurities.

The Untethered Soul seeks to make us aware of that little voice. To gain an understanding of what that voice is saying and how it affects us in our choices and our view of the world. Essentially, how those views constrain our lives and limit our ability to love and be loved. Then, this book asks us to quiet that voice and open ourselves to the possibilities to a whole different way of thinking, feeling, and being.
on 18 September 2009
I didn't expect to find such a compelling and illuminating read when I first picked up this book. The whole mindfulness and awareness thing seems to have been flogged almost to death in recent years with everyone pontificating their views and their tales of enlightenment. So it was with a degree of trepidation and reserved cynicism that I began to read, needless to say my negativity was dissolved in the first chapter and this book has had a profound impact on my psyche.

Would you like to be free of the incessant self talk inside your head, criticising every waking thought and action ? Who are you ? No, not your name or your job or even your ambition, who are YOU ? Singer is the guide as we explore these questions. We rediscover the heart and see it as much more than a muscle for pumping blood around the body, it's a sponge soaking up the pain of past transgressions but it's also an endless well of love. We are introduced to the spiritual path of non resistance and unconditional happiness, paths which should be walked regularly by everyone.

Every page of this book is a joy to read, Singer's compassion and peacefullness abounds. There is an accessability to these words that I have not found in other books of the same nature, in fact I felt drawn to it time and time again. I have read this book twice and each time gained a different insight into both my own true nature and the absolute inanity of the world we live in. To me this has been a gift gratefully received.
on 1 August 2010
This book is a little gem in disguise!I loved the way Singer wrote the book with utter simplicity.I have read books on Mindfulness and the only book besides this book that gripped me fully was Anthony de Mello's Awareness. Most books on the matter rehash the same concepts over and over again.When I picked up this book at the library I was hungering for a book that delivered on substance. I had been wondering how excellent it would be if I could someday reach a point in my life where my inner calm was so entrenched that I didn't feel like any event good or bad could send me on an emotional rollercoaster ride. And this book certainly addressed that need.This is the first self help book that I would say delivered a clear, concise theory on how one can transcend and allow the spirit to soar! It certainly doesn't sound easy, and there were parts in the book that I wish Singer had given more details on how to achieve certain states he was talking about, however, this is a book that has resonated deeply with me,so much so that I am now going to buy my own copy and read it again and again. I am sure this is a book that each time I re-read it I will discover new insights into the material. I loved the fact that Singer felt bold enough to challenge the reader, one of his greatest challenge was towards the end of the book, when he says that if you can commit to be happy at all costs no matter what, then you have taken your spiritual path to a higher level. But I know this concept will be my most challenging because I don't know anyone that can be happy no matter what. But I loved the concept that if you are committed to being happy, that should be what drives you. If you can only be happy if someone loves you, if you lose 20 kg, if you win the lottery etc..you are actually setting yourself up to experiencing never ending dissatisfaction. And proof of the pudding is when most people get to achieve what they want the feeling of happiness is so fleeting, so what Singer says is spot on: happiness isn't about achieving everything that you think you should have, be,or experience to fit your experiences into the idea of what you deem will make you happy.So he got me thinking what if we are going about it the wrong way: what if we are meant to start with prioritirising happiness no matter what? What would happen once we achieved the ability to be happy no matter what? Would we still want the same things? I have a million and one questions that I would have loved to ask Singer because so much of what he said in the book got me thinking. So this book is a must read for anyone who wants to ask the difficult questions that always start with "Who am I"?
Singer should definitely written more books on the subject and I know he wrote one or two more that I will read, but this book is pure magic from the mind of someone who obviously has walked the path and knows what he is talking about- a rare things things days when it comes to self help authors.
on 4 May 2012
This is an amazing book. It is probably the best book I have ever read and I can say I've read a few books about spirituality. I thank the universe for putting such an amazing book in my hands. After reading this book my approach and perception of life has changed in an incredible way. I strongly recommend it to people who want to be happy. I cannot imagine anyone not loving this book. God bless the author for writting such an amazing book.
on 24 February 2009
If you haven't read any books on this type of subject matter already, then buy this one. It is VERY well written, clear and easy to understand (a lot are not).

If you have read books of this type already then you will have probably found that some resonate with you and some don't, this one did with me - but I am not making any promises about this book being the one that will transform you, etc, etc as I have read books with those sort of reviews and ended up a little disappointed.

However this book worked for me, in fact i would say without doubt that this book is the best I have ever read (on the subject) and I highly recommend that you at least give it a go.

It explains very clearly the path to follow if you wish to obtain Inner peace and happiness, that's it, it's pure and it's simple (not the path the advise), so what have you got to lose??

I hope you find it is as good as i did.
on 3 August 2015
I overcame a real bad batch of anxiety a few years ago and it raised its ugly head again recently, I have worked through everything but the final and worst symptom is just my constant racing mind with intrusive thoughts and all sorts of things. I have read A LOT of books that cover this subject matter and I feel this is the best overall book that just cuts to the chase. Michael doesn't speak about specific symptoms, more just topics as a whole and this is how you need to treat any anxiety, stress or worry. If your in a bit of a crap place, just try adopt some of his teachings, just for 24 hours and I am pretty confident you will see a difference, even the slightest but over time old habbits will die and new will be born.

This is a great book and comes close to touching other teachings from great people, there is no science here, just a path which I believe is the way and only way to follow, you can try many other things, medication etc and keep searching for that cure, but the cure is to stop searching! listen to what Michael says and you will see a difference.

Be patient, it will take time, weeks, months, years but you will all of a sudden find yourself in a powerful place of positivity and confidence.
on 6 February 2009
Michael Singer has written a book of great spiritual truths honed down and presented to us in a clear and lucid way.

He takes us through our lives and shows us how we sabotage ourselves and impede our own progress.

I have the sense this is a book that Mr.Singer has lived, he does not offer us second hand theories but has the authentic feel of someone walking the path seeing what works and throwing out what is not of use.

I feel grateful for this book I now read it everyday in the hope that the wisdom that Michael Singer has gifted us with will find a home in my heart.