5.0 out of 5 stars Therapy? have still got it
This picks up exactly where Crooked Timber left off - and I love it already.
Amazon's excellent pre-order service meant it arrived in the post on the day of release and it didn't disappoint.
As with Crooked Timber, and Therapy? in general, the drums are prominent in the mix and the songs all have a strong sense of rhythm as their backbone.
But tracks like...
Published on 7 Feb 2012 by P. Benton

2.0 out of 5 stars Therapy?'s Nadir
Well, I've lived with this record for about a month now and there's no getting away from it. It's poor.

Published on 5 Mar 2012 by greg clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Therapy? have still got it, 7 Feb 2012
P. Benton - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Brief Crack Of Light (Audio CD)
This picks up exactly where Crooked Timber left off - and I love it already.
But tracks like Get Your Dead Hand Off My Shoulder and Living In The Shadow Of The Terrible Thing are infectiously catchy, while tracks such as Ghost Trio have so much going on that you discover a new sound with each listen.
This is not ball-out metal, this is a band oozing maturity and song-writing talent, this is a band delivering a sound of their own, a band that cannot be categorised - and the album is all the better for it.
The lyrics and song titles screan "Therapy?" (Stark Raving Sane, Why Turbulence?) and some songs even have an "epic" feel.
If you have liked the band's last few albums you'll love this - if you have yet to experience Therapy? take a look at the video of Living In The Shadow Of The Terrible Thing on Youtube to get an idea of what this album is all about.
I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars cracking music, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: A Brief Crack Of Light (Audio CD)
as with all therapy albums your never quite sure what you are going to get, for sure therapy have a distinct sound but no record sounds the same or like any other band out there at the time. i have been a long time of therapy and always loved what they have done. although with crooked timber i found it took a few listens to get into, this album i love from the off set. check it out you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stark Raving Sane, 4 Mar 2012
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Brief Crack Of Light (Audio CD)
Album fourteen for Therapy? And it's clear that they aren't in this for the money, but in this to the end. The band's trademark sound of buzzsaw guitars, existential lyrics, and thundering claustrophobic drums and bass, are here in abundance, with no shortage of pining, desperate intensity and relentless pressure. A combination of their influences, from Fugazi and Big Black, to Dio and Iron Maiden, Therapy are a band that, from the start, are unafraid to weld melody to agony.

This is a record I could, can, and will live in. Walking the steps of Waterloo East, or the streets of my local supermarket, I often feel trapped in a world of madness, a concentration camp of the terminally selfish and shortsighted : a lyric such as "Living In the Shadow Of The Terrible Thing", which on one hand is identkit teenage angst, and on the other, captures that sense of doom which hangs over most lives. With this music, I perceive a world different from others, a world where maybe, am I the only one who can view this world for what it really is? Or am I overthinking it?

Is it a crime to think too much or too little?

Third track, "Marlow", is probably misplaced : it sounds like the kind of aggressive, uncoliled snake that should open a live set as each instrument slowly but surely grips the ear and not settled in third place in a record. As with almost every Therapy song, the music is of tension and release, of rising chords unleashed and of that adrenalin rush as everything hits, and this music is the resistance. Well. It helps me. If anything, it's the battle between the will of mankind, and the the oppression of the world we are forced to live in. When "Why Turbulence" takes hold, it becomes a tale of how someone may, on the face of it, have everything they wish, or be richer than their hopes would ever give them, rich in friends, in career, but is it enough? Or is It the confusion of ones ambitions for whatever they may think they want? Be careful what you wish for. Aside from the unsatisfactory closer - "Ecclesiastes", this is a strong powerful statement of intent, a refutation of the average, a raging against goining gently into the night.

This compelling, powerful record is a document that, for me, consoles and confirms, and confronts : that if you feel confused by this bizarre world - you are not alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Therapy?, 13 July 2014
This review is from: A Brief Crack Of Light (Audio CD)
If you already love Therapy? then you'll know this is going to be great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Picks up where Crooked Timber left, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Brief Crack Of Light (Audio CD)
This album is very similar to Crooked timber. Not in terms of sound but continues the same dark tension and social claustrophobia. If anything, I consider this album & Crooked timber as truly "intelligent" T? albums. Just like music, every song gives a strong message, usually put in satirical and even funny way.

However, A brief crack of light is even better than Crooked timber. I love every song in its own way but highlights for me include Marlow - my favourite T? instrumental. Totally out of ordinary, a breath of the fresh air and "a brief crack of light" in this maddening tunes.
Get your dead hand off my shoulder is another instant hit for me, as well as Ecclesiastes. Very experimental, very unique. I love it. A great way to end this journey.

Everything under the Sun... is absurd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Album!, 17 April 2012
After the fantastic 'Crooked Timber' I was worried that 'A brief crack of light' wouldn't be able to live up to my expectations. It's a colder album than Crooked Timber, and it takes the more experimental parts of that album and rolls with them, and it works really well. The first track, 'Living in the shadow of a terrible thing' is classic Therapy? Heavy riff, tight drums, loud Bass and catchy chorus, a great opener. then we have 'Plague bell' a bitter, and very angry in your face tune with dis-chordant moments, and one of my favorites. After that 'Marlow' then surprises the hell out of you, a happy sounding, bouncy tune on the surface, it's mainly an instrumental but after a few listens you start noticing all the subtle nuances, and the shifting drum beats. it's definately a darker tune that the first listen lets on. 'Before you, with you, after you' is somewhere close to 'classic' Therapy?. A fast paced opening settles down to an almost spoken word verse over a chugging riff, then a big chorus opens it up. A live favorite i'd reckon. Then we come to 'The Buzzing'. I think 'The Buzzing' fantastic. It goes from being a crazy and ranting tune, that purposely falls to pieces with Andy's vocals sounding like they're on a scratched record. A melodic centre then leads back to it being a loud and harsh, albeit with a faster harder drumbeat, then it stops with a single chord followed Neil Cooper playing a dubstep drumbeat to see the song out. Simply awesome. 'Get you dead hand off my shoulder' is a cold sounding, quite minimalist tune, harks back to 70s and 80s electro in some ways, definately an album highlight. 'Ghost trio' is something I believe Andy Cairns has been wanting to do for years, one single note played on the guitar, and the Bass and Drums do such an excellent job, it takes a few listens to realise it. Brilliant. 'Why Turbulence' has an almost sleazy riff, and the most toungue in cheek lyrics on the album "Put me in a minor key - default setting" And once again has some properly excellent Drumming. 'Stark raving sane' Is a crazy, fast paced Drum and Bass lead tune which ends just as you've think you've got a handle on it. Album closer 'Ecclesiastes' is a totally different beast altogether, a slow thoughtful, haunting tune that once again seems to have influences with 70s and 80s electro. It will probaly be one of the more devisive tunes on the record, but it does end the album beautifully. 'A Brief Crack of Light is a damned fine album, and for a band that's been going for more than 20 years, it makes it all the more impessive. I didn't plan on a track by track review, but that seems to be what I've done. Gary

2.0 out of 5 stars Therapy?'s Nadir, 5 Mar 2012
greg clarke "Autopsified" (dublin Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Brief Crack Of Light (Audio CD)

I've been a lifelong Therapy fan but this record just doesn't cut it no matter what way you look at it. I was sorely disappointed with Crooked Timber. I found it to be an incredibly dull record lacking any of the spark or energy that Therapy are renowned for. I admire the bands ethos however, and love the fact that they are constantly challenging themselves and their listeners. Sometimes it works, Suicide Pact, others , not - Shameless. I feel though the band have come to a dead end.

The album wisely kicks off with the lead single "Living in the shadow.....". Great track, awesome hook on the chorus has everything you'd expect from a Therapy? song and gives the listener the illusion that they've departed from the sparse style found on CT. It's all downhill after this I'm afraid. Unfocussed is not the word. By Marlow, you'll wonder what the hell is going on. With it's directionless upbeat meadnering, it falls well short of the mark for an instrumental track and is at odds with the downbeat gloomy nature of the rest of the record.It smacks of something that should have been left in the rehearsal room. Diehard Fanboys on the Therapy? forum tell me that's the point. I tell them it's a bad song no matter what the point is.

Things pick up briefly here and there but the latter half of the album is horrific. "The Buzzing" is one of the most horrendous pieces of music ever. A month on I can hardly remember anything interesting about the last few tracks "Why Turbulence" "Stark Raving Sane" "Eclesiastes".Whatever the band's intention, it comes across as if they are disinterested. Especially Andy Cairns, whose vocals are very monotonous this time out.

If this is what a "Mature" Therapy? sounds like, I don't like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars They still got it, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: A Brief Crack Of Light (Audio CD)
This album picks up right were A Crooked Timber left, add a little of Suicide Pact-You First and Never Apologize Never Explain, and you got it.
Special mention to Ghost Trio, it has very long since I heard a tune that touched me so much.
Excellent album!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: A Brief Crack Of Light (Audio CD)
Looked forward to this album by one of my fave bands,thought Crooked Timber, the last album was an absolute stormer but I'm afraid this one is ok but like I say not the greatest,but thats just my opinion!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes change is ... a little bland, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: A Brief Crack Of Light (Audio CD)
I've been following Therapy? For 20 years now. Loved many of their records; was bored by two offerings out of 13-14 in all that time. The previous offering, Crooked Timber, was okay, but fell away, in my opinion, on the final part of the the record. Later tracks were lengthy and tediously repetitive. Unfortunately, having listened to this new CD via Spotify a few times, it's principally characterised by the same dull repetition. So for only the second time in my Therapy?-listening lifetime, I won't be buying a new record - I got caught out once!

A Brief Crack Of Light
A Brief Crack Of Light by Therapy? (Audio CD - 2012)