5.0 out of 5 stars Best drive I've owned
This is an excellent drive and I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros:
Small-medium sized and very neat looking
Published on 10 Nov. 2012 by Sharebear

2.0 out of 5 stars Keeps disconnecting!
Published 14 months ago by L. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Best drive I've owned, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: HGST Touro Desk DX3 4TB External Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
This is an excellent drive and I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros:
Small-medium sized and very neat looking
Fast - another reviewer complained about the PRO version being slow. I don't understand this, if you connect it using the cable provided to a usb 3.0 port it transfers at around 125 mb/s. It makes moving around the movie collection effortless.
Quiet - I was very surprised at how quiet it runs. It doesn't seem to overheat at all and whatever fans operate inside it are silent.

Cons:
When you disconnect it using Windows, the light on the drive stays on so I'm not fully sure if it has powered down completely.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the DX3 version and PRO version, but they must be trivial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 18 Jan. 2013
First off, lets talk performance. With a 1TB write run of files ranging from 80-400MB and some smaller files scattered throughout, I managed an average of 110MB/s. More than 3 times as fast as USB 2.0 products and a very respectable speed indeed. Read speeds were also in the same region. I used TeraCopy which allowed for file verification and am happy to say that not a single file suffered any errors.

The lack of fans may be disconcerting to some users, but this is a 5k RPM drive in a enclosure which gives plenty of breathing room for the drive to benefit from passive cooling and I didn't find heat to be an issue during my testing. Fans can sometimes be WORSE for an enclosure in my opinion, I have had an enclosure which had a fan vibrating abnormally but silently and I didn't know till one of the drives failed (presumably from the vibration, because I had multiple drives of the same make in other enclosures which were ok). And in certain weather conditions, a drive that is too cool can also suffer as the lubrication within the drive will not be as fluid. So I am quite happy to go with passive cooling as long as the drive remains relatively cool. This drive will also spin down when ejected from Windows which is good for power saving and drive longevity.

Before investing in the drive, especially one which will potentially store as much information as this, I looked into reliability and found that Hitachi's woes stem largely from their 7k RPM drives which suffer from heat issues. That is why I went for the slower but cooler Touro Desk DX3 as opposed to the Touro Pro which uses a 7k RPM drive.

If I had to make complaints about the drive; its not as aesthetically pleasing as the sharp angles of the Seagate drives or the molded shape of the Western Digital MyBooks. It also does not spin down if the drive is idle (ie. no files accessed on the drive for a while). Then again, there is another argument weather having a drive repeatedly start and stop versus letting it just spin is worse for its health; so you may have to balance it on your usage. :p

Otherwise, it delivers solid performance in a well thought out build and is the cheapest ticket to a single drive 4TB unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Third Drive of this kind., 3 April 2014
With a large collection of Audio Video material you need a robust back up potential. These drives have proved to offer reliable mass storage for backup at a very reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another decent storage drive..., 18 Oct. 2013
R. Taylor "Beanie" (London) - See all my reviews
Bought this when I ran out of space (again!) and needed more capacity. I also have the Seagate 4Tb standalone model (B00BP5RL10 but this one turned out cheaper so I grabbed it to see what it was like.

It performs well under load and the USB 3 connection makes it almost like it was physically inside my machine as far as speeds go. Unlike the Seagate model, the PSU seems quieter and more reliable but, as always, I recommend checking drive letters when you start up your PC before running any software that relies on them.

The unit is kind of large, however, being almost two and a half inches thick compared to the one and a half of the Seagate. Not sure why it needs to be that large unless they are just attempting to increasing the cooling by providing an air space around the drive. One day I'll crack the casing open to see what's what.

I have one niggle against it that is a little annoying. It goes to sleep if not accessed for a while. Normally, this wouldn't bother me, but the unit I have takes very nearly twenty to twenty five seconds to come back online from ninights. That's an unacceptably long time. Nor was I able to find a firmware upgrade to remove this sleepy-headedness. What I have resorted to is a small program called KeepAliveHD, which periodically writes/overwrites a small text file to the drive in order to stop it from going to sleep. It's a bit of a bodge, but it works.

Other than that, the drive seems completely reliable. Like the Seagate, it has its little issues, but I'd recommend it, so long as you don't mind the sleep mode (or are prepared to work around it).

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems for me, 2 Jan. 2013
R. BEARD (UK) - See all my reviews
Heard mixed reviews about this drive, I haven't had any problems and copying across the USB3 cable is on par performance to internal SATA connection to hard drives. Backing up a 2Tb iTunes library was no problem at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent drive!, 16 April 2014
Kudos to Hitachi for this drive!

I use this for backups. I rip out the bare drive (a 5K4000) and attach it via a SATA port and away I go! :) I've bought at least 4 of these, and they all work just fine.

It's a pity though that Amazon doesn't have them in stock. I bought them from Amazon - I can't vouch for other retailers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome disk, nice enclosure, 30 Mar. 2014
I've had this disks (three of them) since February 2013 but I'm only reviewing them now, because I don't like to have an immediate opinion about hard disks. Basically because durability is the most important thing for me (much more important then speed or looks).

But I can now say that I love this disks. They're silent, stable and run very cool. The case is also beautiful and the speed is good for a "slow" disk. I get about 80 MB/s when copying large files (and because I only have movies there, that's the most I can state about speed).

Looking forward into buying a few more :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Keeps disconnecting!, 23 Feb. 2014
L. Williams - See all my reviews
The drive kept on disconnecting while it wasn't in use. At first I thought it might be down to the computer I was using it on trying to save on power by powering down, but trying it on a different PC and ensuring so power saving settings were on I had a look if anybody else had any similar issues. Turns out a lot of others have had the same issue as me, the only way to get the drive to reconnect is to unplug the power and reconnect.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL!!!!, 31 Jan. 2014
I've had this hard drive for three days and it doesn't turn on anymore. When I plug it to the mains the blue led keeps on blinking turning the hard drive on and off every five seconds or so. The drive never moved from my desk and of course never fell. I own another 4 external hard drives (Samsung, WD and Seagate) and haven't had a problem so far (touch wood...). I've contacted the HGST customer service and they don't help you to retrieve the data. Therefore, 1,5TB of data are lost. Unlucky me, I always have a back up, even a back up of the back up, but in this case I deleted all the files I transferred to Touro. So now I'm running Recuva to see if I get some files back. It's going to be slow and painful...
So, after reading fantastic reviews on this drive and thinking it was the best in the market, now I'm sending it back to Amazon.
Did it fail because a corrupted file? Because an adapter problem? Drivers got mad? Who knows, hours transferring via USB 2.0 lost, as is my data.
My advice: Stay away from this drive or use it ONLY as a back up!

P.S. If anyone has a solution to my problem, do not hesitate to let me know.

5.0 out of 5 stars great unit, 23 Mar. 2013
Great piece of hardware. Did everything I needed in a backup unit. Would buy again. Very quiet and not to large aswel