on 26 April 2012
Very useful book highly recommended particularly at the ebook price, but after reading the ebook I believe the full book price to be fair. I have been a keen amateur/semi pro photographer for 40+ years but I still learnt plenty, particularly in areas of photography I had not previously explored at depth.

Over all a very good and informative photography book. The access to the professional quality tuition videos and to the Facebook group for constructive critique of your photographs makes it exceptional value for money.

Nearly a year on from my purchase the book gets even better with its updates and additional information. This is the one photography book I keep going back to to reread a subject and to get the added sections and new video's. I also recommend their books on Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Video Book and their Photography Buying Guide. Many thanks Tony & Chelsea and keep up the good work.
on 12 April 2012
Afraid of all those dials & buttons on your camera? Only using the 'automatic' function? Then this book is for you! It takes you step by step through your camera, explaining in simple words & photos what the different settings do, and when & why you should use them. But rather than focussing on one camera & showing where the controls are for that camera the author concentrates on the effects gained by using a camera's options, leaving it up to the user to find the specific function on his/her own camera.

Taking the reader by the hand, the author doesn't try to dazzle with technology or bamboozle with terminology but instead breaks the world of photography down in to easily digestible topics, each one with its own chapter. The chapters are simply written, easy to understand, and the authors uses photos to show how much difference can be achieved with a photo by applying his teachings. This approach is ideal not only for learning about photography but also for quick revision when about to undertake a project.

This book has made me realise just how powerful my camera is, and how easy it is to improve my photographs by one or two tweaks of the camera's settings. Well recommended!
on 11 June 2014
Packed full of tips and techniques not only is the Kindle version excellent value but you can take full advantage of the links to online video tutorials and more. Tony Northrup has quite an engaging style as does his wife Chelsea whose video tutorial on posing for portraits is excellent. Thee are nice touches of humour and I like the way the authors say they they are still learning too. There are quizzes to check your learning and practice exercises. There is something for most levels of photographer and this is a resource that I can see me returning to time and time again. Thoroughly recommended.
on 16 September 2013
I purchased the E book and although I have not yet read it cover to cover so to speak what chapters I have looked at are easily explained with the lay person in mind. The video's are wonderful and help reinforce everything. If a geriatric and slow to learn amateur photographer like myself find it easy then you will not have a problem. Very highly recommended and you can sign up for free updates! How good is that?
on 16 October 2013
I've read a number of photography guides over the years and I have to say this is by far the best both in terms of up to date information relating to specific cameras but also very practical advice for almost every type of photography. The use and integration of video is excellent. The e book has helped me rekindle my interest in photography - and improved it.
on 27 March 2015
Wow I cannot recommend Tony Northrup's books highly enough. I have this one plus his one on adobe lightroom 5. Not only are they excellent they allow you to join his facebook page as well as his private stunning digital photography community. Apart from all the knowledge and learning in the books you can get advice and help on gear, your own photos (you can choose how gentle it is) and help others as well as chat. For example I posted a question about lenses and in 30mins I had 20 helpful suggestions from other photographers. The books come with QR links (or web address links) to a host of videos that back up the tutorials in the book which are very helpful and Tony and his wife Chelsea are just so friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Honestly you buy a book (or a few) and you become part of a community - I think it is fantastic and am so pleased I bought them. You get discount if you want to buy webspace to show off your photos and Tony even shows you how to set one up. I am positive if you buy these books you wont be disappointed. Chelsea makes a massive contibution too so you get 2 experts opinions for the price of one!
on 21 June 2014
For the price on one monthly photo magazine this Kindle edition of the SDP is fantastic value. I recently brought first DSLR but have previous experience with film SLRs and thought I knew most of basics. Nevertheless this book put into words some techniques I was using already but had not thought of why they worked + gave more ideas and insight. I like Tony's and Chelsea's style which is engaging, knowledgable and entertaining at the same time. Just buy it or if unsure watch a few of their videos on YouTube (Vistaclues channel) first and then decide.
on 2 March 2015
This is an absolute must for the beginner to intermediate level photographer.The book has brilliant pre-installed videos that re-enforce the text. The videos are expertly shot, and deliver a clear set of learning learning objectives/skills. There is also free access to a forum where you van see other people's work and share your own for helpful and encouraging comments.. If I I lost all by books on photography, I would go out and buy it again. It is all you need to get get from nowhere to damned good images.Worth ever penny, and then some.
on 10 February 2016
I have been taking photos for many years using point and shoot, and bridge cameras, having recently upgraded to my very first DSLR I thought it was worth the time and effort to learn how to control my new camera. So having seen may of Tony's videos on YouTube and the many attached adverts for his book (and having learnt a lot but in a very disjointed way) I decided to take the leap and buy the book.

The first thing to say is that I was not at all disapointed with my purchase. I have taken my time and read this book from front to back. The book is well layed out and leads you through the many topicks in a natural and inteligent way. At the end of each chapter there is a quiz, don't worry its just for fun,but at the same time challenges you to put what you have just learned into practice, then after that there are a list of practicle tasks which help you to reinforce what you have learned and take it to the next level, developing your skills as you go.

Whilst I know this is only the begining of the journey I have chosen I know that thanks to Tony & Chelsea my Photos will improve through practical knowlege and the use of the lessons learned, and not so much through luck. I would happily recomend that anyone who is starting out, or is looking for help improving their photography, should try this book.
on 4 April 2014
Whatever your ability as a photographer, the Kindle book is well worth the read.

Unlike many similar books, it is not condescending and explains why, and not just how, things affect your technique. I have picked up many new ways of approaching photo opportunities and have utilised many of the tips suggested throughout the book. It's been helpful to view real setups through watching the videos too.

All in all, great value and very useful.