5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for beginners
Published on 12 April 2012 by amateur_photoman

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Kindle edition!!
Disappointed with the quality of images in the kindle version. I thought it would be useful to read this book on ipad but the download quality of the images is very poor! I am not sure if this is the same for everyone or a faulty download for me! The text is ok but for a book on photography, such poor image quality is unacceptable. I wish I had put the money towards the...
Published 3 months ago by DCD

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for beginners, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography (Kindle Edition)
Afraid of all those dials & buttons on your camera? Only using the 'automatic' function? Then this book is for you! It takes you step by step through your camera, explaining in simple words & photos what the different settings do, and when & why you should use them. But rather than focussing on one camera & showing where the controls are for that camera the author concentrates on the effects gained by using a camera's options, leaving it up to the user to find the specific function on his/her own camera.

Taking the reader by the hand, the author doesn't try to dazzle with technology or bamboozle with terminology but instead breaks the world of photography down in to easily digestible topics, each one with its own chapter. The chapters are simply written, easy to understand, and the authors uses photos to show how much difference can be achieved with a photo by applying his teachings. This approach is ideal not only for learning about photography but also for quick revision when about to undertake a project.

This book has made me realise just how powerful my camera is, and how easy it is to improve my photographs by one or two tweaks of the camera's settings. Well recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended general/advanced photography book., 26 April 2012
Very useful book highly recommended particularly at the ebook price, but after reading the ebook I believe the full book price to be fair. I have been a keen amateur photographer for 40+ years but I still learnt plenty, particularly in areas of photography I have not explored at depth i.e. portraiture.
If I have any criticism it would be that viewing the colour photographs on a B&W Kindle does not do them justice. I viewed them in my Kindle for android and my PC Kindle to see the full detail of the techniques. Over all a very good and informative photography book.

Nearly a year on from my purchase the book gets even better with its updates and additional information. This is the one photography book I keep going back to to reread a subject and to get the added sections and new video's. Many thanks Tony & Chelsea and keep up the good work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on Digital Photography. 5 Stars., 11 Aug. 2014
Its rare I'll write a review before I've finished a book but this one deserves one.

I'm fairly clued up on photography (my Canon 500D is getting a little old now) but will search for photography advice and tips where I can locate them.

Tony (& Chelsea) write in a style where they convey a love of photography and a gentle method of teaching skills, tips and advice which I find really easy to read. When an author has a 100% love of a topic its kind of infectious to the reader. I like that.

The video lessons are great too and is a pleasant way of reinforcing what's already been written about in the current chapter.

I'm currently reading this between an iPhone and an iPad and find the chapters the correct length to retain my interest. It's great how Tony teaches on all levels without any superiority or prior judgement.

I've just visited the web page and registered myself with his company for future updates.

Kudos to Tony & Chelsea for a book well done & happy snapping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book at a stunning price, 16 July 2013
I have just started to work my way through the book for the second time. Even on the first read through, I picked up tips and techniques that instantly improved the quality of my photography. The Kindle edition costs less than a single copy of a photography magazine! Now with 6 hours of online video, email and Facebook support along with free, lifetime, updates, it is amazing value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, 16 Oct. 2013
I've read a number of photography guides over the years and I have to say this is by far the best both in terms of up to date information relating to specific cameras but also very practical advice for almost every type of photography. The use and integration of video is excellent. The e book has helped me rekindle my interest in photography - and improved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every photographer should own this Book, 16 Sept. 2013
I purchased the E book and although I have not yet read it cover to cover so to speak what chapters I have looked at are easily explained with the lay person in mind. The video's are wonderful and help reinforce everything. If a geriatric and slow to learn amateur photographer like myself find it easy then you will not have a problem. Very highly recommended and you can sign up for free updates! How good is that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent Book, 17 Jun. 2014
A great book. You can go as deep as you like or just use the basic settings.
The Videos are very informative and easy to follow.
All and all Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, great tips to follow which gives great value, 26 May 2014
I have seen a lot of videos from Tony so I was very keen on starting to read the book. It was just like I expected, great fun with good advice and examples that show the different techniques in action. It's not a beginner book, you should be sort of comfortable with your camera but the book can help you excel in your photography and teach you to see things differently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate, just buy it!, 21 Jun. 2014
For the price on one monthly photo magazine this Kindle edition of the SDP is fantastic value. I recently brought first DSLR but have previous experience with film SLRs and thought I knew most of basics. Nevertheless this book put into words some techniques I was using already but had not thought of why they worked + gave more ideas and insight. I like Tony's and Chelsea's style which is engaging, knowledgable and entertaining at the same time. Just buy it or if unsure watch a few of their videos on YouTube (Vistaclues channel) first and then decide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the Kindle version, 11 Jun. 2014
Mr. O. A. Tuckett (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
Packed full of tips and techniques not only is the Kindle version excellent value but you can take full advantage of the links to online video tutorials and more. Tony Northrup has quite an engaging style as does his wife Chelsea whose video tutorial on posing for portraits is excellent. Thee are nice touches of humour and I like the way the authors say they they are still learning too. There are quizzes to check your learning and practice exercises. There is something for most levels of photographer and this is a resource that I can see me returning to time and time again. Thoroughly recommended.