4.0 out of 5 stars Good 70s thriller, not Deighton's best
The title's Yesterday's Spy is Steve Champion, a WW2 hero for work with the French Resistance, now prosperous but apparently up to no good. British Intelligence sends his war era deputy to find out what he is after - and back to the French people and places of their war time past. And off we go...glamorous women, betrayals, gunmen and all.

This book is a...
Published on 7 Jun 2012 by Niel Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a classic
In his intro, Deighton says he tries a new technique in the writing. Sadly, it does not come off and it lacks the classic tautness of his other spy novels. There's a sense of laziness in the writing - was Deighton living in the south of France when he wrote this one. Still worth reading all the same for Deighton fans
Published 12 months ago by D. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 70s thriller, not Deighton's best, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Yesterday's Spy (Kindle Edition)

This book is a break from both Deighton's anonymous hero of his early books (played as Harry Palmer by Michael Caine in the classic films) and their Cold War setting. But it has Deighton's typical twists and turns and sharp dialogue, which are always a pleasure.

As a Deighton fan, I found it not as good as Funeral in Berlin, Horse Under Water etc. The characters were a little cardboard, some plot 70's kitsch, and I missed the Harry Palmer trick of never knowing who was on who's side. But still a good, fun and easy read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a classic, 22 Sep 2013
D. Smith (Pavia) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Spy in the South of France, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Yesterday's Spy (Paperback)
I'm a bit of dilemma about this book. Whilst the protagonist's boss is the same as the previous novel (Spy Story), his WW2 back story almost seems to be at odds with what we know about the unnamed spy/Harry Palmer from IPCRESS at all. So whilst I'd like to think that it's the same character, I'm not sure that it really is.

This time round our favourite spy is called upon to invistigate the reappearence of a WW2 French resistance colleage who has started to arouse suspiscion within his old employers. He's up to something, but what it is no-one really knows.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good a read as any other Len Deighton adventure, 7 May 2013
Janet Kerley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yesterday's Spy (Kindle Edition)
Just when I thought I hadead all the Len Deighton books, another new Oldie pops up! Othrer deighton fans should check their shelves for this one and buy if its not already there.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT SURE, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Yesterday's Spy (Kindle Edition)
Not the best Deighton book I have read - very "Bity". Perhaps I did not understand it but will read again

4.0 out of 5 stars Yesterday's Spy, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Yesterday's Spy (Kindle Edition)
I love all Deighton's novels and this is almst as good as his later ones. And yet I'm so familiar with his later series, especially the ten novel samson saga that I see in this one the trademarks that he will use much later. Perhaps if I'd read this first it would have been five stars. That said, I have read no finer novelist of this genre than Deighton.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is not as good as Funeral in Berlin, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Yesterday's Spy (Kindle Edition)
Maybe it is because I returned to Deighton after many years apart and my memories are of the earlier book with engaging plots, sardonic humour and barbed dialogue of the Ipcress file and Funeral in Berlin.
Yesterday's Spy does not hang together as well as previous novels and I was trying to feel and understand the new place that is the world of the nameless Harry Palmer. I struggled to relate to his new context and role and relationships. The plot rather jumped from place to place - I kept saying to myself "mind the gap" in the way of a tube station announcement rather than admiring the seamless flow of the story.
But it is Len Deighton so as a lifelong fan I read, indeed revisited this book and at the end was happy I had not wasted my time and had smiled at some of the pithy one liners and acerbic wit offered up in this book

Yesterday's Spy