5.0 out of 5 stars Delivered
Fans of 48 hours will love this second instalment. I was initially surprised by the absence of Josh Hamond but I shouldn't have been. JJ has shown before that he is not averse to leaving accepted methodology. So main character dropped but it just makes so much sense... why would sensible Josh ever entangle himself with a Bentley storyline.... unless forced.

I...
Published on 30 Jan. 2013 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Riddled with typos
Fast paced, good plot, a worthy sequel to 48 Hours BUT the typos and character name changes were countless, really annoying and detracted from my enjoyment of the book. Please invest in a proofreader asap.
Published 21 months ago by petra798

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivered, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Chameleon: A City of London Thriller (Kindle Edition)

I loved the convoluted storyline especially the Chameleons scenes. This bad guy/girl is far more grey than JJ's previous all out blacker than black villain. I thought I saw the end coming which I did but only in part. Once again JJ works to surprise at every opportunity and every little detail has been added for a purpose event when it seems extraneous to the real plot.

Those who like gritty, twisting plots, with a true-to-life feel, this is for you.

Loved the ending and loved the character of the Chameleons but the televised broadcast is my favourite scene. That was a real feel good moment.

TJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Hidden gem or creepy lizard?, 31 July 2013
Jakeisthecoolest "Jake" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chameleon: A City of London Thriller (Kindle Edition)
This is a vast improvement on Bentley's previous book, 48 Hours. It abandons the first person narrative and has clearly had much more time spent on the editing, although a couple of howlers still exist, as well as little touches like justified edges to the pages.
The story is fast paced again and with plenty of twists and turns. My favourite element is how much empathy he creates for a cold blooded assassin.
A good stand alone novel and strong sequel to 48 hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved sequel, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Chameleon: A City of London Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I bought this on the back of 48Hours and thought it a much better book. In two minds as to whether I should really be backing a mercenary assassin against the British Home Office but this particular assassin is very engaging. Still too many editing errors however, basic errors such as character changing names eg Katie Norman -Jordan- Norman should not still be getting through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Riddled with typos, 6 Oct. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars another great read, 11 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Chameleon: A City of London Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book by J Jackson Bentley, I downloaded it after reading his first novel in the series "48 hours" which was brilliant, and "Chameleon" is just as good, if not better. I just hope J Jackson Bentley writes many more novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Chameleon: A City of London Thriller (Kindle Edition)
Having read the first book in this series and being unable to put it down I eagerly looked forward to this one,sadly in my eyes it was nowhere near as good as the first one.This centred mainly on his wife Dee with only fleeting refrences to JJ I think I was expecting him to play a bigger part and was waiting for some dramatic entrance from him somewhere in the plot,but it never happened.Got extremely complicated later on with whose side the Chameleon was actually on and never expected the twist in the tale,can we expect to see her back in future books?my feeling is yes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 10 Jun. 2013
Janiceg "J Giles" (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chameleon: A City of London Thriller (Kindle Edition)
This book was a mind blowing read which I literally couldn't put down. It was a fantastic story with so many believable and identifiable characters. Unexpected twists, especially at the end, made this into a top class read. Next one beckons.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacklustre political thriller, 30 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Chameleon: A City of London Thriller (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book I've read in this series and I found it very disappointing. The heroine, Dee has now married her fellow operative, Josh Hammond and is heading up the London office of Vastrick Securities. When a for-hire assassin known as The Chameleon murders clients that Vastrick is protecting, Dee and her agents are on mission to hunt the killer down. Whilst this book is very well-researched, offering thorough explanations of everything and anything to do with spying, political assassination, computer hacking and the security agencies both here and in the US, I just found the whole thing clichéd and overloaded with too much information. The characters were either sickly sweet or just plain evil. All the women were either incredibly attractive or completely oversexed, so that all the male characters were either in love or in lust with them or both. Oh, apart from the kindly older men, who were respectful and beyond reproach in their behaviour towards the young women in their care. Wonderful guys. Despite the fact the lead female characters were trained killers and could defeat a male attacker with, at times, literally one hand tied behind their backs, they were girly in a way that made me feel distinctly queasy. In fact, I found the feminine, girly, caring and loving parts far more sickening than the bone-crunching, blood-letting fight scenes. There was an added sprinkling of good old home-spun religion that did nothing to alleviate the nauseating lovey-dovey aspects of what should have been a hard-hitting, no-nonsense novel. On the bright side, it's good to know that you can be shot numerous times without anything too serious happening to your bones, internal organs, mobility or ability to function normally again. Just the odd ache in wet weather now and again. I thought all this was a great shame as the research and attention to detail that had clearly gone into this book was evident in every aspect. I won't be reading any more in this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite an engaging thriller, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Chameleon: A City of London Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I am currently reading this novel having recently finished '48 Hours' by the same author. As with the previous book, it was a free Kindle download and therefore any criticism seems akin to looking a gift horse in the mouth. However, I will try to be fair and constructive.

The author has an inventive imagination and there are plenty of twists in the plot, which retain the reader's attention. Unfortunately, this book also has grammatical errors, but not as many as the previous one. The errors are thus not as distracting, but it would be better if there were none at all.

This author's plots are gravely serious, take place at a high level of government, and some of the characters come from the most dangerous and sinister sections of society imaginable. I would therefore expect the dialogue to reflect this and be a bit more gritty. I certainly don't agree with profanity purely for the sake of being profane, but for the sake of realism the dialogue should more accurately reflect how the characters portrayed would actually speak and behave in real life.

Consequently, the writing style is a little Blytonesque and one is left feeling that the heroes in the book will celebrate the death or capture of a notorious villain by eating homemade shortcake and drinking glasses of fizzy lemonade pop.

On the positive side the author has done his research and the historical information about places and technical information about such things as weapons in interesting. On the negative side, he seems to have a bit of an obsession with casting incredibly beautiful young females in his lead roles. The descriptions of these beautiful young women in their catsuits and jumpsuits started to get a bit boring and seemed to be products of the mind of a dirty old man.

Overall, considering that I read very little fiction I have quite enjoyed the novels by this author. My criticisms seem to be fairly similar to the criticisms of some other readers. I don't know if JJB reads the comments (I'm not sure that I would if I was an author), but were he to address some of the issues I think that he could have some bestsellers on his hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and well told - but don't thank your proof-reader!, 3 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Chameleon: A City of London Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this, and it is an excellent follow-up to 48 Hours. I'm not sure why, just because he was the first to appear in the previous book, some readers assumed Josh Hammond was the main character. I always felt that Dee was the star, and did not find it surprising that she was the main protagonist in this book (unless you consider the other possibility, reflected in the title, that the real star is the city itself).

I found particularly effective the judicious use of flash-backs to flesh out the story, and thought it an overall satisfying read.

Only one (extremely small) gripe. If you are going to start your introduction with an effusive thank-you to your editor for the quality of her proof-reading, be prepared to be challenged! When the Chameleon is working in Paris, the character moves into the Allez de Justes, which I think would translate as something like "Go Judges!" If you head over to Google Maps, you'll find this place does not exist - though there is an Allee des Justes (Judges' Lane?). Picky I know, but as I said - don't mention the proof-reader unless you can be sure they are as good as you say! To be fair, apart from the occasional transcribing error, where the program picks up a letter n as a double r, this was the only actual error I spotted.

Recommended - and I would add this author to my favourites list so as not to miss his future offerings.

Chameleon: A City of London Thriller