5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin... well stainless steel.
Published on 7 Jan 2011 by Bazcurran

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 15 Nov 2012 by GSARider

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin... well stainless steel., 7 Jan 2011
Product was delivered three days ahead of the date suggested (thanks sub-zero). I tried the cup as soon as it arrived and its brilliant. As long as you adhere to the 'max fill' line it works perfectly and there is absolutely no leakage at all, it even stands up to some rough and tumble. The mechanism feels like it would be able to compete for reliability with other brands like Volvo or Volkswagen. The powdered finished steel remains cool to the touch even though the cup contents remain hot hot hot! There is also a rubber sole that holds the cup to desktops and car holders alike. The mouth piece is perfectly ergonomic and easy to drink from and designed so any fluid not swallowed will drain back into the cup, meaning no accidental spills; or more importantly no cold coffee or tea to spoil your next sip.

Hard to say much more about what is after all just an insulated cup... it is reassuringly expensive by comparison. Buy it you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, no faults hot drink holder, 11 Jan 2012
This review is from: Primus Commuter Mug, Stainless Steel (Misc.)
I don't have much more to add to the existing reviews except to offer a comparison between the stainless steel mug and the plastic one Primus also offer.

The polycarbonate one (also Primus and identical in appearance, style etc) is much cheaper and unfortunately cracked after my niece and nephew got hold of it when I wasn't looking and dropped it. I have to say it was quite solid feeling, but had obviously become slightly brittle and cracked around the collar after 18 months - possibly also caused by me overtightening the lid? The stainless steel version is double the price, but will be much more durable and will keep dirnks hot for much longer - more like 2-3 hours rather than 30-45 minutes as i experienced with the plastic one. The walls also became warm with the plastic one, but don't with the stainless one - a potential hazard as you forget just how hot the contents might still be!

My only criticism would be that most of us would already have arrived at our destination long before the liquid is cool enough to drink, although it will serve me well for long journeys and in other applications, such as a half time drink at the football.

I think I would recommend the more expensive stainless version as it will no doubt last much longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The newest steel mug is fantastic, much better than old model, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Primus Commuter Mug, Stainless Steel (Misc.)
I have had the steel version for a couple of years and used it in my car.
You should NOT, as some dealers recommend preheat it with hot water, before pouring your coffe or tea in it, if you use it for your morning tea on the bus or train.

Without preheating and simply pouring the boiling water in the mug and dip a teabag in it, the resultant tea is too hot and will burn your lips and mouth. Leave room for appr. 1/2 cm of cold tap water on top of the hot water and you can start drinking right away, otherwise you never know when its drinkable.

Used this way, the tea will keep good drinking temperature for 1-1 1/2 hours, which is suitable for most commuters. On the other hand I have a 1 liter thermos that will keep my tea at drinking temperature 6-8 hours but when using that I can pour boiling water directly into, as I can use the cup to let the tea cool down when drinking it. In the Primus mug, the temp. must be made drinkable from the start.

When filled, you can feel the mug getting warm on the outside but I will try the plastic version in the future as I hope it keeps the temperature a bit better.

The lid is fantastic. Its the only way you can have your tea safely while driving as it opens and closes with just one finger. I always drink a little to one side of the opening, because to my (smallish) mouth, the opening is a bit too large and I tend to spill my tea otherwise.

When just flushed and not leaving old tea in it for days, there is no strange taste at all from the mug.

After rolling around in the bottom of my car for some years, the black paint is flaking off more than 50%, but who cares?

PS: Producers of thermos should publish test of their products to enable customers to evaluate the thermos before buying but on Primus' homepage they say:" Keeps your drink hot or cold" nothing else. I did a test of all my thermos, but I can't find it now :-(

******EDIT****** I found out that the mug reviewed above has been revised, so I bought the new steel model, AND ITS FANTASTIC. The lid and the black coating has been revised. The new coating feels like its powder coating and not just paint, as the old one. The heat retention is about double the time of the old one, so the tea is drinkable 2-3 hours after filling the mug.
I GIVE IT 5 STARS, BRILLIANT.

Poul
Old Enough To Know Better, Young Enough To Give A Damn.

5.0 out of 5 stars great item, 9 April 2011
i have had 3 different commuter cups and this is the first one that really does not leak. its very nice to look at and feels good quality i am very happy except my husband keeps nicking it

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, But....UPDATE: still good but...., 17 Jun 2013
Stewart J O (Gravesend, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Primus Commuter Mug, Stainless Steel (Misc.)
I have had this for about a year; I use it when walking my dog first thing. It is strong (I've dropped it a few times, and whilst it falls apart, if dropped on a hard surface, it doesn't break) and works really well - keeps drinks hot and doesn't leak - one critical review says it does. I notice that the internal parts of the lid can sometimes not quite engage when re-assembling, which does cause leaks but that's more about care in re-assembly than a design or manufacturing problem
My only criticisms are: it's a bit fiddly when taking apart to clean. The rubber seals can take a taint ( e.g. of coffee which is noticeable next time when used for tea), but a good soak in bicarb of soda and this is sorted. It would also be useful if it had a handle or clip, but I bought an insulated carrying pouch with a shoulder strap and this works really well.
It looks a bit battered, which adds character; I've had to re-glue the rubber base after using it in a dishwasher (which may not be advisable anyway...). If this seems a lot of negative comment it's not meant to be, just helpful thoughts the manufacturer might care to take on board. Overall I'm really pleased I chose this one
UPDATE
Sadly whilst cleaning the cap mechanism I managed to break the central insert - pressing it open so I could clean around the seal..so I bought a new mug exactly the same. The one I 'borrowed'(a St*rbucks beaker)from my wife simply didn't work and let my morning brew go cold and tainted. So my only complaint is that it's not possible to buy spares and it's an expensive bit of kit to throw away for the sake of one component

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 Nov 2012
Got my primus mug in red a couple of days ago and was eager to try it out. I carefully filled it to below the max fill line. It leaked when put at an agle in my bag - not even upside down. The leakage occurred from the threads where the cap screws on and not from the cap opening. I tried closing it carefully to see if this makes a difference and it hasn't. Disappointed in this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it and NO leakage, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: Primus Commuter Mug, Stainless Steel (Misc.)
This is an expensive thermos, but it is totally worth the money. In an attempt to save money and not buy my morning coffee, I am using this thermos to make my own coffee at home and take to work with me. The coffee does not leak (you can even tip it fully upside down and still no leakage). And the coffee is at great drinking temperature by the time to get to work, about an hour later.

This is definitely worth the money and will definitely cut down on my monthly coffee costs by not buying my morning latte anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, 25 Feb 2011
Highly recommended mug. Keeps my coffee hot and is very comfy to hold and drink from. No leakage and feels cool to hold. Fits perfectly in to my vw passat cup holder! More expensive than other models but you get what you pay for in this world. Click button opening/closing is excellent and makes sure you don't spill it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Hot and Cold but...., 25 Mar 2012
This review is from: Primus Commuter Mug, Stainless Steel (Misc.)
I agree with the physics of the mug regarding its robustness, ease of use and keeping liquids hot. It can quite happily be turned upside down without spillage (with the vent closed of course). However, having used the mug many times I cannot get rid of the rubbery taste it gives all drinks it holds and use it only for cold drinks - even worried about what the chemical is too. Has anyone else experienced this or is there a way to get rid of the horrid tang? If the horrid taste could go I would not hesitate to give a 5 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate flask mug!!, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Primus Commuter Mug, Stainless Steel (Misc.)
I have been through a selection of flask mugs in the past, but this is far superior to any of them, the reason being the hole in the top through which you drink.

On all the other mugs I have seen, this is generally a simple flap which slides across, consequently if the mug is anything other than upright, its contents slowly seap out all over the place.

On the Primus mug the seal is actually a spring loaded push button with proper seals, you can actually leave it on its side or upside down and the contents stay in the mug, I would be quite confident to keep this mug full in my pocket.

Performance was not an issue for me as all the mugs I have had keep liquids hot for long enough, but it certainly does seem to keep liquids hot for longer, to me this is a bit of a downside (someones got to moan!!) as that hot mug of tea I made earlier for my drive to work is still too hot to drink an hour or two later!

So to conclude its wasted in the car for my drive to work, but would be absolutely perfect in my rucksack whilst I am walking, or even to put in my pocket for a train or coach journey!!

Primus Commuter Mug, Stainless Steel