5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant
Published on 22 Aug 2007 by Tomg

3.0 out of 5 stars "Down the Old Plank Road" (The Chieftains)
I have the DVD version of this, on which my favourite track is Emmylou Harris with "Lambs on the Green Hills" which is not apparently on the CD!
Published 23 months ago by RogerDWMccutcheon

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 22 Aug 2007
Tomg "tomgbarrett" (BELFAST NORTHERN IRELAND) - See all my reviews
ONCE AGAIN THE CHIEFTAINS HAVE PROVED HOW VERASTILE THEY REALLY ARE. WHEN I BOUGHT THIS DVD I DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT THE FIRST FEW TRACKS WERE OK FROM THEN ON IN IT WAS EXTRAORDINARILY BRILLIANT THE PERFORMERS MUSICIANS DANCERS ENDING IN AN MASSIVE SESSION AT THE END THE WAY ONLY THE CHIEFTAINS CAN DO IT. WITH STARS LIKE EMMYLOU HARRIS BUDDY AND JUDY MILLER RICKY SKAGGS JOHN WAITE DEFINITELT 10 OUT OF 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pickin', 25 July 2011
An enjoyable fusion of Irish/hillbilly/bluegrass music that traces it all back to its roots in the old country. If you like bluegrass, then this album will be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good music..., 23 May 2010
I found this album on YouTube while searching for the music/words for something different and while I have liked folk music for years I had never come across this particular group before. As I am also a big fan of Pipe music I stopped and listened to as much of these as I could find. :)

Whatever the comments from 'real' Irish music fans (especially those on YouTube) about how this group cheapens the whole 'Irish' music genre. I have to say the blend here is wonderful, easy to listen to (with the exception of one track*) and most of all enlightening. Well for me as I hadn't really heard anything like this before...

Oh and I plan on getting the Further Down the Old Plank Road as soon as I have some spare cash... :)

*Dark as a Dungeon - Which I loathe with a passion in all the versions I have heard so far... (Not to detract from the rest of the album)...

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mix of the pond, 19 July 2013
This is a great mix of music style from both sides of the pond with good old boys in the Irish and Nashville tradition. Great fun and frolicking music with a touch of the Celtic black as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice mix of Celtic and US traditions, 14 July 2013
Like an early version of the Transatlantic Sessions.

So full of joy and pleasure in making music. Glad I came across this.

5.0 out of 5 stars old plank road, 17 Feb 2013
K. Carruthers (cumbria, england) - See all my reviews
very good, only to be expected from the chieftains, in the long run i prefer their early music.but things change and this is very good

3.0 out of 5 stars "Down the Old Plank Road" (The Chieftains), 8 Aug 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Chieftains classic, 15 Mar 2012
If you like a mix of the country and the Celtic then this is for you. What more can you say about the superb performances from the Chieftains that hasn't already been said before? Another masterclass from these timeless musicians.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chieftains, 17 April 2012
Quite a good Disc for your collection, as it was described,prompt service,well packaged I am sure that you will enjoy it,Edwin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chieftains - THE NASHVILLE SESSIONS, 7 Aug 2010
The Chieftains only produce good stuff - so there would never be a negative comment about their works.
They are the best.