on 28 January 2012
Having enjoyed Ellie Dean's first book, There'll Be Blue Skies' I was really looking forward to the follow up. I was not disappointed, the characters are so well drawn that you can imagine yourself as a fly on the wall and Ellie provides the perfect blend of drama, tragedy and humour that we have come to associate with Britain at war.An easy read but a most enjoyable one - I can't wait to catch up with the Reilly family in the next installment.
on 24 February 2012
I was so sad to hear of the death of Annie Groves and was looking for an author in a similar vein who writes strong female characters and who does their homework regarding the home front during WW2.

I wasn't disappointed (although I do wish that the publishers would do a little research on the uniforms and styling of WW2..the cover photo is dire!)and I do hope it's not the last we hear from Beach View guesthouse and it's residents.

I think Ellie Dean has a very nice writing style, and captures the spirit of the era beautifully.
Far From Home by Ellie Dean is the second book in the series and once again we are brought into the life of Peggy Riley and her family, not forgetting the waif and strays she has a habit of giving shelter to in her boarding house which she inherited from her parents.
Within this book the main characters include Polly who has to say goodbye to her darling daughter Alice, as her mother and sister is taking Alice along with her cousins to safety in Canada for the duration of the war. There is also a Polish girl, sister of Alex who we met in the last book who was killed in action her name is Danuta a girl with so many hidden qualities but she soon shows what she is truly capable of. Danuta is like no other girl at that age she has seen things that no-one should ever have to experience but she has faced the tragedies in war torn Poland and many other countries as she fled from the Nazi's. But as always we are given enough background information about the characters therefore it is impossible to stop reading until I get to the last page to see what happens to each of the occupants of Beach View.
Why I love Ellie Dean as an author she has a gift of showing the readers the scenes she paints using words, as a reader I can see through her words what the devastation and heartache people faced in a daily way throughout the Second World War. She also has a gift of giving us characters which will touch the reader so much that personally for me I cannot wait until I get the next book for myself to see what is happening within the walls of Beach View Boarding House.
Though the girls who are living with Peggy are far from home, they soon feel the love and care Peggy has a knack of providing just at the right time, always ready for a cup of tea and chat no matter how weak the tea is her heart is always ready for more people to love and guide in her own special way even while dealing with the charades of her own family who constantly keep her on her toes waiting for the next thing to provide a few upsets along the way.
I highly recommend Far From Home by Ellie Dean as a brilliant read and a wonderful next instalment for Peggy Riley and her mixture of tenants who all need her at different times throughout the book. This is one read which you will not be disappointed with as with the many talents Ellie possesses she keeps us readers entertained throughout.
on 19 March 2013
I brought this book not realizing that it was the second in a series of beach view so when I started to read it I began to recognise some of the character's.
It's a really good book once I started I didn't want to put it down.
The story's brilliant and made me cry at times.
I'm just about to buy the third book so can't wait to carry on with the story.
on 26 April 2012
I was really pleased a second book out, and it certainly was just as good as the first. Like others can't wait for the third!!
on 17 September 2013
This series of books are brilliant - there are five in the series so far - I'm hoping for a sixth.
on 13 August 2013
My understanding is that this is the second book in the series and just as good as the first. Full of different characters the main one being Polly Brown who has to make a difficult decision to send her 5 year old daughter to Canada with her mother and sister to stay with relatives for the duration of the war while Polly who is a nurse looks after her sick husband. Polly has managed to secure a nursing position at the hospital in Cliffehaven where her husband is hospitalised and is badly wounded.

Polly stays with Peggy at Beach View boarding and makes many friends including Danuta a your Polish girl who has had more than her fair share of tragedy and has a secret of her own.

A very good book and can't recommend enough
on 10 October 2013
5 Stars for this book as once again a very good read. An extremely difficult book to put down for any length of time.
To have the books in a definite chronological order would be of great benefit.
on 20 January 2013
Staff Nurse Polly Brown has come to Cliffhave, after placing her daughter on a boat to Canada to be with husband who was hurt at Dunkirk. She will be staying with the Reilly family, who are facing their problems with the War. From rationing to their daughter who entertaining this troops, being lead with a man who has pictures on her. But the family and their new friends will pull together to win the war.
"Far From Home" is the second book in the "Beach View Boarding House" series and as with the first book it is really great! Ms Dean gives reader rich and interesting character that keeps the reader wanting more. Can't wait for more in the series.
on 17 April 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this second book, Far From Home.The hopes and fears of the character's in this book are immense,Reading the story's and the journey's of the people that came together,in Beach View Boarding House and showed the compassion they felt for one another.Every character had their own story,and at the heart of it all came Ron, Jim and lastly Peggy, who at times had problems of her own, but became Mother to them all.
Would definitely recommend this book I found it hard to put the book down. I am looking forward to reading the last book in the trllogy.