on 14 May 2011
This book is my all time favourite. It has great descriptions, amazing pictures and fantabulous characters. The creatures in this book are extremely imaginative and developed, and there are several twists in the plotline, which are great.
Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell are my favourite authors and my role models. I completely recommend Beyond the Deepwoods to anybody thinking about buying it or reading it.
Please note that this is the first book in second trilogy of the Edge Chronicles. You should know that there are 3 trilogies. The first is the Quint Trilogy. The second is the Twig Trilogy which begins with Beyond the Deepwoods. Then follows the Rook Trilogy, which is the last. Even so, it doesn't matter at all if you read a trilogy without reading the previous one.
Thank you very much for reading my review. - Grace.
on 6 July 2006
... but i did really enjoy this book. It's a non-stop set of scenes where twig always seems to get into big trouble and then get himself out of it.

The illustrations are really good and there are lots of them (one every 2 or 3 pages). The book won't take an adult long to get through but s/he will enjoy the ride.

Recommended!!
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2009
Sometimes you just want a book that grabs your attention. This certainly did it when I spotted it on the bookshelf. I won't mince my words: that Banderbear picture looks awesome, doesn't it? I've known about the Edge Chronicles for some time, and I've always admired Riddell's talent as an artst, but I've never really looked into the series. Until now.

'Beyond the Deepwoods' is unique because it hasn't just been written by an author. It was visually inspired: Riddell would draw pictures for Stewart who would in turn build the story around them. So does it work? Well...yes and no, but I'll come to that in a moment.

'Beyond the Deepwoods' fires along at breakneck speed, and doesn't look back. Twig goes through trial and terror, escaping with the narrowest of escapes. It's all huge fun: if Guliver's travels had been written on a sugar rush, this would be the end result.
The trouble is, while it's insane amounts of fun, there's not a lot of depth. This is where one of the problems of building a story around pictures arises: you create brilliant set pieces, but sticking them all together into one story makes it rather patchwork-y. Twig is the only character you get to care about because everyone comes and goes within a few chapters, sometimes mere sentences, never to return. It's all a bit linear, which is a shame, because so many characters are passed and have enormous potential. Perhaps they will be in future books, but in 'Beyond the Deepwoods' alone, it felt like everything was on the conveyer belt from the Generation Game: everything passing by quickly, and never sticking in your memory.

So, the illustrations. There's no denying they're beautiful, and they give the book lots of character and atmosphere. And they're especially good for those who don't like reading endless blocks of text, as the illustrations break it up nicely. But sometimes I prefer to leave things to my imagination. If anything, the pictures can be too good, and simply distract you.

All this complaining makes me sound like I didn't like it. But I did! Immensely so, and I will certainly be reading the next. I just hope that the next one won't be a string of troubles and narrow escapes, and can bring something new to the table.

'Beyond the Deepwoods' is like a rollercoaster: it's huge fun, thrilling, fast, a tiny bit scary, and there are laughs aplenty. And you'll want to go again afterwards. If you want a book that's sheer enjoyment, with lots of fun pictures that pulls you into it's world, this is for you.
on 18 July 2005
This is a fantastic read, enjoyable for all ages. The writer uses such imaginative ideas in this wonderful adventure-packed story. The story starts with a young boy, who strays from the path, to become a sky-pirate like his father. Along his jouney he meets a countless number of funny and mind-boggling creatures such as Banderbears, Shrykes and Prowlgrins. This book is certainly the best I have ever read, and I would recomed it to anyone. The endings of each of the books in the series keeps you suspended, waiting for the next book to come out. Chris Riddel and Paul Stewart certainly make a fine team, and the illustrations in the book are amazingly intrecate. I recomed you read this book!
on 1 November 2001
This book is one of the most wonderful books I've ever read the descriptions are magnificent and the plot is very unique and the drawings are very good looking.It is a must for people who have read the Harry Potter series I hope you enjoyed this book as much as I did.
on 22 December 2002
I'm the proud mum of a 14 year old boy ,who is into rap music,skateboarding,room untidying,dish unwashing and all the usual stuff that 14 year olds love to do to annoy their parents,so I am well impressed with The Edge Chronicles books.He happily sits for hours reading them,and can't wait to get his hands on the next one.
I think that all parents should introduce their teenagers to these books,and regain their sanity by enjoying a couple of hours free from rap music,bickering and violent movies and knowing that their safe in the hands of their return to childish fantasy.
on 3 December 2015
I read this in a couple of days in an attempt to revisit my youth. This was inspired by a recent meeting and book-signing with illustrator Chris Riddell, which reminded me of my intentions to reread this series. I first read this way back when it first came out as a child; needless to say I loved the vivid descriptions, well thought out world-building and the variety of fantasy races and their various traits. However much I enjoyed the series, I do not feel that this is a great book, although it does begin what I consider to be a great child-aimed fantasy series.

Beyond the Deepwoods is very much a vehicle for Riddell to showcase his artistic talents. Undoubtedly, this idea has worked well and there are plenty of great scenes and character images in the book. Despite this, and also in spite of Stewart's writing (which is quite challenging for younger readers, but is very enjoyable), I feel that this book suffers for the lack of a plot. Yes, Twig leaves home and in the final 50 or so pages the outcome and progression becomes clear, but in the intervening 200 pages it really seems like focus on Riddell illustrating a range of unlucky incidents involving the denizens of The Deepwoods has meant that the plot doesn't go anywhere. There is a good surprise at the end with the confrontation, though I won't give any further details away.

Overall, this book is definitely worth getting, though I'd say to bear in mind that it does lead onto bigger and better things, particularly in terms of plotting. I guess this is necessary for Stewart and Riddell to introduce such a new world and cast of characters in such a relatively short space of time. Don't let this deter you from beginning a quest in the Edge Chronicles! They are absolutely worth reading and are one of my favourite fantasy series.
on 22 April 2002
This is an excellent book,full of hope and love.It's about a boy named twig abandoned by a bunch of sky pirates at a small village of wood trolls. While twig grows up he gets bullied badly by his friends. Then his mother tells him to leave home and make his way beyond the deepwoods to find his destiny.She tells him to never walk away from the path,but that was exactly what he did. Now,lost and tries to get out of the woods he meets a wonderful veriety of creatureas large,and small,harmless and dangeruous.If it kept me buried into it you're bound to get carried away.
on 25 February 2001
This book is very good. It has the makings of a very good adventure film. I would recommend it to someone of aged 9 or 10 years. They would have to like action and adventure stories. The story is set in the deep woods, there are lots of dangerous animals, trees and plants, but also some harmless ones. The main events are when Twig, the main character, has to leave home, when he finds his real father and when he meets the Gloamglozer. Twig was brought up by the wood trolls even though he is human. His wood troll father takes him to work with him where his real father sees him and wants to take him back. Twig does not do as his troll mother tells him to, because he strayed from the path and into the deep woods on the way to a cousins' house, he rescues a slaughterer and ruins a gyle goblin's pink custard. In the story Twig says that he would like to stay with the slaughterers, that a waistcoat that they gave him saved his life and that he would help the banderbear if he could stay. Ma-tutum says that Twig was a gaukly, ugly, little fellow, the sky pirate says he was special and the gloamglozer says he is nothing. It is a brilliant book and a very exciting read. Amy, aged 9
on 9 October 2004
I loved this book i read all of the other books in the edge chronicles but this is my faverout book of all time. the drawings are excellent well done to Chris riddel and so are the different creatures and cultures.
i read this book 3 times and anyone who likes fantasy shold buy this book .