5.0 out of 5 stars A good-looking iron with bags of steam.
This is the third steam-generating iron we own at this price-point (the others being a Breville VIN170 Extreme Steam Digital Steam Generator Iron, 2400 Watt and a Philips GC7420 Pressurised Steam Generator Iron - of which both reviews can be read here and here). So what sets this Morphy-Richards apart from those two (and in my view highly regarded) irons?

Well...
Published 19 months ago by Kevin O'Keefe

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointed with Ceramic Soleplate
Published 4 months ago by David Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars A good-looking iron with bags of steam., 1 Sep 2012
Kevin O'Keefe (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Morphy Richards Power Steam Elite 42221 Pressurised Steam Generator with Ceramic Soleplate - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Well to begin with it is probably the nicest-looking steam-generating I've had to date. Design-wise it's very sleek and is in a pleasing colourway (tasteful greys and blacks).

Secondly it has a HUGE water tank (1.7 litres) which is considerably bigger than its rivals. Thankfully it is also detachable which makes refilling so much easier (and, like the Breville, it can also be filled 'in situ' too without having to take the tank to to the tap).

Remarkably, in operation, despite sharing the same 4.5 bar steam pressure output as the other units it generates noticeably more steam. So much so, in fact, that there was quite a sufficient output for me to turn the iron down to its minimum steam setting (of which there are three). But, as they say 'what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts' inasmuch that such a high level of steam output means that inevitably the water in the tank diminishes quicker too (so it's a good job it's such a large one I suppose!)

The steam-control trigger is a little quirky: in other models I've tried you usually get a responsive 'woof' of steam which finishes as soon as you depress the trigger. In this Morphy-Richards one however there is a slight, perceptible delay which means you still get the steam delivery even after you've lifted your finger off the trigger. I must stress that it is only a *tiny* delay and is probably simply a question of getting used to it (although personally I prefer an instantaneous 'on-off' steam blast). Another thing to note is that unusually there is no steam 'lock' function which maybe something to consider for those needing the iron to vertically steam curtains and fabric for example (a function of the iron I think it would be excellent for given the huge amounts of steam it can produce).

A couple other thing to note is that although the power comes on immediately when you press the 'on' button at the rear of the unit, when it comes to turning it of you have to keep your finger pressed on it for a second or so (I didn't realise this to begin with and thought I had a faulty unit!). Also this unit comes with a cable tidy for storage which is a nice and helpful detail.

In terms of build quality it seems well-made and robust (perhaps more so than the Breville) and operationally it is as loud (or quiet) as can be expected i.e. it makes the usual steam-generator buzzing/grinding noises periodically as it 'loads' the iron with steam. The iron itself is light and manoeuvrable and (with the risk of repeating myself) this is worth bearing in mind if you have arthritis etc. Controls are easy to follow, unfussy and the unit is 'good to go' straight out of the box (after filling of course!).

In conclusion this is nicely designed iron that exceeds others in terms of steam production. In many ways it's 'horses for courses': I still prefer the instant-response trigger systems of other models but then again I really like the very generous water tank that the Morphy-Richards features. On balance I am happy to recommend this iron and I believe it represents good value for money. Finally, if you register the iron with the manufacturer you'll have an extra year's peace of mind with a two year guarantee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great .... saves loads of time......, 23 Aug 2012
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an easy to use, powerful iron.

I like the way that it looks, its not too big and is stylish in design. It fits on to my ordinary ironing board really easily. (Some don't as they are too big!)

But is it any good?? YES!

PROS
1.It is powerful and easily ironed heavily creased items.

2.The tank is easy to remove and refill, I think that this is an important feature in a steam iron and the ceramic plate works well.

3.This is a good buy and is able to iron many items efficiently and quickly.

CONS?? I couldn't find any. This is a great item.

So, as an investment in your day to day life I would recommend this.

Steam generating irons are brilliant for saving time and this one will pretty much iron most items that you need to iron!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Nov 2012
Works great, produces a lot of steam even on the low setting! Ready to iron relatively quickly and just glides over the clothes!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing iron!, 1 Nov 2012
this is the best iron I have used
I have had 3 steam generator irons and this is by far the best

it is not noisy on steam

very efficient

and is great to have different steam options to choose from

I love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Nov 2012
Bought this as a previous steam iron I had broke. However this is much better, plenty of steam, big water holder so fewer top ups, lightweight and easy to use. Can't recommend this enough especially for family's with lots of ironing to do, can't say it makes the chore a pleasure but it certainly makes it a lot easier.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointed with Ceramic Soleplate, 17 Dec 2013
Ceramic Soleplate feels smooth to the touch but will only glide when 'pulled' over fabrics (even pure Cotton) and will not 'push forward' so it takes such effort to iron even the normal quick things like a simple pillowcase. I will NEVER buy a Ceramic plate again. I will go back to my Stainless Steel soleplate on my old Steam Generator. The Manufacturer did not have the manners to reply to my questions regarding the Soleplate problem. Extremely disappointed !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Super steamer, 28 Jan 2013
I still don't like ironing but this makes it a lot easier.A little noisy and heavy but if you can get past these worth it for the lightness of the iron without compromising on performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 27 Jan 2013
Hugo Minney "hugie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Steam generator irons are great. This was our second, and it too powers through a batch of ironing.
But my wife does clothing alterations, often expensive clothes, and we've had the iron for a fortnight and it has to go back.
The iron drips. Not very much, and you can soon steam it away with a hot soleplate, but we can't risk it on expensive items.
I note that Tefal have an anti-drip feature. This suggests that all steam generator irons drip. but only one manufacturer is doing anything about it. Tefal iron on order! Tefal Gv9461 Protect Autoclean Steam Generator

5.0 out of 5 stars A good looking heavy duty power house !, 20 Sep 2012
Ian Wantling "Ian Wantling" (The North West.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been testing this iron for nearly a month and it's easily up there with the best.

As well as being the best looking in terms of design, it ticks every box that (in my opinion) need to be ticked to make a steam generator iron worthy of a five star review. They are -

1. A detachable water tank - and in this case a big 1.7l capacity one.
2. Variable steam control.
3. A generous length of mains lead.
4. Easy to use.
5. Great results.

As with any steam generator iron, your ironing time is going to be reduced as the steam is delivered under pressure. I found on the highest setting the unit delivered too much steam and was comfortable using it on the lowest setting for thing like shirts and trousers and on the middle setting for heavier items such as denim.
The iron is a pleasure to use, eats through the most stubborn of creases and gives beautifully crisp and quick results. It also offers excellent value for money. Thoroughly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great iron...BUT, 16 Sep 2013
Richard Mcgee "Muscot" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
We are now on our second (replacement) as the first unit developed a water leak, but not from the annoying drain plug on the bottom, the first one leaked water not long after we started using it, this was due to the rubber "O" ring on the drain plug getting a little nick in it, my wife phoned Morphy Richards to get replacements, it turned into such a performance with photocopying receipts etc that she just gave up with them.

I keep O ring sets in my workshop so used one of my own...job done for an outlay of about 2p.

We are in a soft water area and do not ever get any scale in kettles etc, but the iron wants a de-scaling cycle every few uses, it's not required for us but there doesn't seem to be a way to disable the requirement, doing this requires you to remove the drain plug in the bottom of the unit to get the residual water out, after a few times the O ring gets "baggy" and it is easy to nip it when replacing the plug, also they tighten the drain plug to a ridiculous level and getting it out the first time will the supplied key was damn difficult.

Half a dozen spares with the unit would be a good start.

As I said the first one started leaking from some other place than the drain plug and we returned it for replacement, now I have to say Amazon were totally brilliant to deal with, I thought it would be a hassle, but no, it was no hassle whatsoever.

The second one has been fine so far and the chief ironer loves it....the plug was crazy tight on the second as well though...O rings do not depend on huge tightening to seal, a light nip is all that is required to do the job, that's all we do now.

A follow up to this review several months later....the replacement iron has now gone faulty, once again leaking water out the bottom of the base station, it poured water all over the kitchen worktop soaking two of the iPhone chargers lying there, we have given up and Amazon are giving us a refund, I have to say that Amazon have been totally brilliant to deal with, no hassle what so ever.

Also they now have a system where you can take faulty goods back to Asda and some over collection points, super idea!

We are now looking at one of the Tefal irons, it's more expensive but hopefully more reliable than the Morphy Richards.

We will be buying it from Amazon simply because they have been so easy to deal with over the duff MR iron.

ARRAY(0xac2be4e0)