on 19 October 2012
I think iPad cases really are an individual thing and you have to think carefully about what you want it for. I spent hours looking for just the right one that would give me a protective case, an adjustable stand (landscape and portrait)and a detachable bluetooth keyboard (with English layout). This one fits the bill exactly and works brilliantly. The iPad can be supported at any angle, especially if you remove the keyboard from its magnetic holding place, giving great flexibility to suit all positions. My son uses it for games on the sofa; I can adjust it to use at a desk. If you remove the keyboard completely you can fold the bottom flap back and under and it looks just like one of the more minimal case/stands (you can even do this with the keyboard still in place). The keyboard is solid and I find it really responsive. Touch typists complain about the small keyboard size, but for a two finger typist like me I found it actually made me quicker! When it's closed it feels very secure - it may be a little bulky for some people but I actually like the reassurance of a more solid case. If you want a versatile case with a quality keyboard I really recommend this one. Oh, and after cross referencing with the Kensington website I found out this will suit the new iPad as well (which is what I'm using it with), not just the iPad 2.
on 17 September 2012
The Good:
Good keyboard with appropriate shortcuts
You can adjust the angle of the screen easily
Magnetic keyboard
Holds the original Motorola Xoom well

The Bad
The materials used to coat the outside of the case are beginning to wear away.
The rubber corners to hold the tablet in are not glued to their Velcro coating well.
The keyboard can take a while to turn on.

The Conclusion
This keyboard case is probably the best generic keyboard case for tablets, however the build quality is not up to scratch for the price (£60 at time of purchase).

UPDATE: The rubber corners used to hold the tablet are falling apart and the outside of the case is peeling away.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 December 2012
I got this iPad case to replace the smart cover that I've been using with my iPad 2. First impressions when taking this out of the packaging is that this really stinks - like that new car smell to the max. Thankfully after 24 hours of airing it was a lot better and a week later it's fine.

The iPad slots into the side of the case easily, it's a snug fit and is held in place with a flap that's wrapped around the outer edge then tucked in. The front, back and sides of the iPad are then covered, though it seems like the outer (right) two corners are still slightly prone. Holes are provided for the home button, front and back cameras, headphone jack, dock connector, and volume keys so the iPad never needs to be removed once it's in place. However, the internal iPad speaker is slightly muffled.

The style of the case is more business than leisure, but it has a good quality feel. The iPad can be propped up (in landscape mode) at an angle using a Velcro strip and the keyboard can be removed from the case easily and positioned more comfortably. This works well on a flat surface but can be a bit unbalanced when used on your knee, for example. The case is quite weighty with the keyboard and iPad in place; this can be slightly mitigated by removing the keyboard if you know you're not going to need it - it's attached with 4 magnets and is easy to remove - and the case still works quite well without it.

The keyboard battery was flat when it arrived; after a couple of hours plugged into a USB port it was fully charged (using the lead from my HTC phone, which means fewer cables to carry around). A slide switch on the right edge turns the keyboard on and off - it's not immediately clear looking from the top which position is on and which off, and this could do with better labelling. Pairing the keyboard with the iPad for the first time was quick and painless and once done it connects instantly as soon as the keyboards turned on. There are LEDs for power, Bluetooth, and Caps Lock. It has a surprising amount of key travel for such a small keyboard, allowing fast typing, and is an enormous improvement over the on screen keyboard. There's no key lag or dropped characters as can sometimes be the case with cheaper Bluetooth keyboards.

The keyboard has keys for Home, Photos, Lock, Search, On-screen Keyboard, and basic music and volume controls. I guess these are useful for some things, but they could be better - the photo key oddly uses the origami slideshow, not sure why you need to activate the onscreen keyboard from a physical one sitting right in front of you, and what's really weird is there's no key to actually switch to the music app, only to play/pause and skip.

This case and keyboard is expensive but is of very high quality, provides excellent protection for the iPad, and represents good value.
on 8 November 2012
It's a great case. Battery life is just perfect. Initially I didn't charge it and it still works after a month of use. The keys are perfect in size. Big enough for any fingers and small enough to fit anything inside the keyboard. The quality is in high level. Also the fact that the keyboard can be detached from the case and used from every ware in a room is really useful.
The only thing that the case could be improved is the vertical placement of the iPad. It can be placed only in landscape mode. Not vertically.
Anyway, it's a case that really deserves its money which, by the way, are quite honest
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Style Name: Apple iOS - iPad AirVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Kensington KeyFolio Pro iPad Air (i.e. the iPad Air) is a handy and quite smart looking case and keyboard for use with your iPad Air. The case is designed specifically to be used with the iPad Air and as such will not fit other models well or at all.

In a similar way to the majority of Kindle hard-backed/soft-covered cases, your iPad Air slips into the case which is then secured down with a dangling magnet clasp (the magnet securing to the body of the case and not your iPad). When in place, the iPad can be positioned upright (at multiple angles due to its clever magnetic design) to allow ease of use whilst in conjunction with the keyboard (basically in the end the overall layout is similar to flip-open laptop).

The keyboard itself is connected to the iPad Air via Bluetooth which connects within seconds once you have first established and allowed the link (which is a doddle). The keyboard also has its own inbuilt battery unit which lasts for up to 960 hours of ‘working time’ (very impressive) or 180 days on just standby (although we’ve only had the case for around a month now so I can’t say that we can confirm this claim!).

Upon getting the case out for the first time I have to admit that I was very surprised with how light it felt. Even with the keyboard included, the case doesn’t really add that much more weight onto the tablet, and because of its ultra-thin design, it doesn’t make your iPad really any less portable.

The keyboard itself has reasonable-sized keys, all in the standard Qwerty layout. And to be honest, upon using the keyboard with the iPad for the first time, I was surprised with how much I’d missed the ease of having the keys instead of the usual ‘virtual keypad’.

The overall feel and look of the case and keyboard is of a luxurious high-quality. Admittedly the actual case doesn’t feel like it would offer a huge amount of protection against particularly hard knocks and the like, but it’s certainly better than nothing at all. However, because of its thin and lightweight design, for general day-to-day commuting and the like, this really is pretty darn perfect.
on 15 February 2013
This product is great for the first few months then the fabric 'relax's' a bit and the 'velcro' holding the screen at an angle doesnt hold it firm anymore so be mindful it may not last the test of regular use.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought the older version of this for the iPad 3 and have used that one for over a year now so had no qualms about getting one for the iPad air.
As per my review of the Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2 Case, Keyboard and Stand for iPad Family, if you want more than just some basic protection and a few viewing angles for your iPad, this is a terrific product. The only real down side is that it does come up heavier and thicker than many more basic iPad cases but for that you get a very practical bluetooth keyboard that I have found to be highly reliable so far with good range and battery life, a protective case that allows almost complete freedom to angle the iPad for best use (especially if you remove the keyboard and place it nearby) and a smart, professional looking design that gives an air of seriousness to a device that can be perceived as a bit of a toy!

The Bluetooth keyboard can be removed from the casing (either to leave it behind or to give you a less cramped typing layout). Moreover, the ipad air version seems to be made of a higher quality material (sheepskin) and has a magnetic clasp instead of the slightly tacky elastic strap. That said, I agree with the other reviewer who noted that the magnetic clasp can hit your ipad screen if you're not careful.

Also, a few comments from experience of the older model. After some time, the fit gets a little less tight so the corners of the ipad are potentially exposed as it slips slightly out of the case. I'm pretty sure this will happen to the iPad air version in time. Also, the hook-and-loop type strip that keeps holds the ipad at a given angle gradually loses some of its grip and the keyboard part can flop away if it's picked up without care. These are minor gripes that have shown up with continuous use of the other case but as I have every reason to believe they will occur on this reincarnation eventually, I knocked down my review by a star to take this into account.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've tried a few different keyboard cases for the iPad over the years, the Kensington KeyFolio Pro is the latest and it's a fairly decent keyboard case depending on your needs.

First off there's the quality feel to the case, it's made from sheepskin so feels really nice and doesn't have that plasticy feel that some leather type cases do. It seems as though it will be fairly durable, but I'm being careful with it nonetheless, I don't want to risk damaging it.

It's a standard folio type case that holds the iPad Air, it seems solid and sturdy and I didn't have any issues with the way it holds the iPad. The case has multiple viewing angles, there's a magnet along the bottom edge of the case where it holds the iPad and this can slot into the grooves on the keyboard part of the case to prop it up at certain angles. For typing and maybe video some of the angles are pretty decent, but one thing I've found with a lot of keyboard cases is that the fixed angles that they provide aren't usually my cup of tea. For watching video in particular I generally prefer and almost upright angle and few cases provide this. The KeyFolio Pro does allow you to set your own angles by way of removing the keyboard. If you choose to do this then you're free position the iPad however you please, which is a bonus for me.

As for the keyboard itself, I've already mentioned that it's detachable. For some that may be a bonus, I prefer using the keyboard attached for the most part so it's not really a huge benefit for my use case, but I do like to detach it for watching video so I can get the iPad at the right angle. For typing on I found it quite reasonable, well spaced keys and they felt quite solid once pressed. Other cases I've used have had the feeling that you haven't pressed a certain key sometimes but I didn't find that with this case. There are a row of shortcut keys across the top which is pretty standard on most keyboards and just makes it easier to use certain functions.

The only real downside I can see is that the camera can get covered over depending on how you're using the case, but I don't really use the camera that often so it's not really an issue for me.

The price is quite reasonable for the case, it feels of nice quality, has a detachable keyboard and allows the iPad to prop up at multiple angles with or without the keyboard. Definitely worth taking a look at if you're in the market for an iPad keyboard case.
on 25 November 2012
I bought this case/keyboard to try to convert my iPad into a micro laptop. I was a little leary given the very mixed bag of comments, but I've now been using it for over a month. The quality is fine, and the keyboard works perfectly. It is a tad small, but I can still touch-type very quickly with minimal errors. It's a shame that there is no 'microphone' shortcut key, so to start up one of the dictation apps, I'm required to press the key to launch the iPad's own on-screen keyboard, and then use the mic key. There's possibly another way around this, but I haven't invested the time in it. Overall, I have no problem with this product and can easily recommend it as excellent value for it's price. My bigger problem is finding apps which are equally as useful without compromising major features!
on 1 March 2014
In my quest for a suitable ipad air keyboard I decided to try this one out. It turned out to be the worst of the lot I have had so far. It feels and oozes quality when you take it out the wrapper I must say but that is where the good ends! Pairing was a doddle so cant fault it there. However when typing the keys skip some commands sometimes meaning having to repunch keys to get the correct spelling.

Another bug is it simply does not offer optimum viewing angles at all and at the first angle it tends to tip over backwards. I absolutely hated it and repackaged it and began the process for a return and refund.

I might just get the ZaggKeys again or wait for them to launch an upgrade on the current one.