5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one!
I've tried many times to learn a foreign language. Each time I've failed miserably - I'd stumble over a grammar rule or concept I just couldn't understand, or the textbook moved at too fast a pace.

Published on 31 May 2009 by hdd

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a bit slow!
This may just be a personal preference, and I guess that is what these reviews are all about, but I am finding it a bit slow and ponderous. You find yourself on page 21, Lesson 19 before you get to the third person plural 'they are' of the verb 'to be'.

Published 15 months ago by flamfacts

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one!, 31 May 2009
hdd (worcester, uk) - See all my reviews

It is therefore quite remarkable that I've reached Lesson 68 in Mr Linney's book. I usually find that, after a week or so of beginning to learn a language, I lose interest (mainly through frustration, lack of guidance, etc) and have to force myself to pick up the textbook every day. The opposite is true with Mr Linney's book - I have to ration myself otherwise I'd gobble up dozens of lessons at a time. Learning isn't a chore, in fact picking up the book is something of a treat.

There are several good reasons why this book works so well -

a) Each lesson introduces just one new word or grammatical point, and each lesson is followed by ten short exercises in Latin (although I go straight to the answers and translate from English to Latin, which I think is probably more beneficial). The exercises constantly refer back to previous lessons, thus reinforcing what I've learnt;

b) The book doesn't try to do too much. When I've finished this book, I'll know only the present tense, but should have a really sound basis from which to move on to the next stage;

c) Each lesson maintains reader interest with the introduction of the new word. The grammar rules are explained simply and clearly, but without dumbing down. Linney doesn't try to make Latin more difficult than it actually is, but the new words mean that the lessons feel fresh;

d) There is stuff that must be memorised, but Mr Linney doesn't throw everything at the reader at once. So, I learnt all the parts of the verb 'to be' and got them fixed firmly in my head before I was presented with another set to learn (and he introduces concepts rather than tables, only presenting the tables once each part of the verb or noun has been individually practiced);

e) The design of the book - large format, but lots of white space on each page, so the pages don't look overwhelming.

A bonus is the author's downloadable MP3s, available from his website, in which he gives the pronunciation for every word (and every exercise) in the book.

If you've never studied Latin, or only - like me - studied it at school, many years ago - this is the book you should buy. It's brilliant!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant way to start to learn Latin, 24 July 2010
I bought this book to re-learn the Latin I did at school. It is excellent for a gradual way of entering (or re-entering) the Latin language. It starts with the basic verb (sum) and builds vocabulary and verb tenses through exercises that teach through repitition.
The explanations of how what the verb tenses mean and how they are formed is extremely well done and would suit either someone who has little or no knowledge of Latin or even grammar, or someone like me who needed reminding! The constant repetition means that the vocabulary becomes well imbeddded and the pronunciation is helped by the audio files that can be downloaded from the website. There is the added bonus of the explantion of Latin phrases that remain in the English language, although there is a slant towards American examples, e.g. 'summa cum laude' and 'e pluribus unum'.
My only niggle is the use of 'y'all' for the 2nd person plural. That is a bit TOO American and would have little meaning to an English student. I understand that this is the author's way of helping students (esp. younger ones) to understand what the 2nd person plural represents, but it is a bit disconcerting since really that would not have been what the ancient Romans or later writers of Latin would have meant!
I have found this book to take me only so far but needed a more advanced text in order to continue to, say GCSE level. However, this book lays sound foundations for any student to move on to more complex Latin study.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, 18 Feb. 2008
Lou (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm home educating my 13 yr old twins and we love Latin because of this book. It's really easy to use, even for someone like me who never had the opportunity to learn Latin before. It never goes too fast and leaves you lost like the other materials we have tried do. It's also really well supported with a lovely website allowing you to hear pronunciation - and we love the author's accent! It's clearly and spaciously laid out. I wish all language books were like this!

5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE:Look no further..., 4 Sept. 2010
Trish (London, UK) - See all my reviews
if you want an intro to Latin.
Had this book for a few weeks now & I'm still using it, still studying & still learning. Which in itself goes some way to saying how good this book is!
The author has picked out key words & phrases & uses them to build not only grammar & vocabulary but confidence as well.
Each lesson introduces a new word & the exercises slip that new word into sentences that you previously have learnt, building & recapping. Very quickly you start being able to read & write complete sentences as opposed to just random words where you have no clue what order they go in.
There is also the excellent benefit of having extra lesson notes & pronunciation downloads available from the website. Plus, unlike some books I looked at, the answers are included.
Would highly recommend this book to anyone, of any age (I'm over the 40 hill!)who wants to learn Latin.

UPDATE: Completed the book in full & enjoyed ever minute of it. Wish the author would publish the next 'stage'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for adult learners at home, 18 Nov. 2010
I changed school when 14 and was due to start Latin but that was too late in my second school. In my 40s I thought I'd give it a go, as I always regretted not learning Latin. I got the Oxford book but the first lesson in that just had far too many words in it and was totally daunting. This one introduces a word at a time and explains it in great detail so you feel you are progressing rapidly. You get a good grounding in one case before moving on to another and the book is excellent at exlaining why you use a particular case, and if a noun has the same ending in different cases how you choose which one it is. The website for the books has all the lessons explained and the examples are worked through. The downloadable classical and ecclesiastical pronunciation guides are excellent, although you do learn latin with an American accent.
Now halfway through the book I'm starting to work through the Oxford book as well, but this book helped the Oxford book make sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish all foreign languages started like this one., 15 Aug. 2011
I cannot rate this book high enough. Latin is a very complex and challenging language. This book will give you such a good grounding of the language, you will be sorry to leave it when you finish.

You learn the language as we are taught every language - a word at a time. Now, this may be too simple for some people but it definitely worked for me.
As you learn a new word, it is introduced into a sentence in as many ways as possible. Before you know it, you are reading longer sentences. All the sentences have only the words you have been introduced to previously. (Sounds obvious but wait until you move onto other books.)

If you are a bit rusty on your verbs (i.e. nominitive, accusative, ablative etc.) or nouns, pronouns etc. it is explained in english first then latin.

If you want a good introduction to the languange AND YOU HAVE NEVER STUDIED LATIN BEFORE, then this is the book for you. As the book says, it is a "Getting Started with Latin...", if you have studied latin before and need a refresher, I suggest a different book.

For the verbal reading of latin, Mr Linney has an excellent website, which has all the exercises for you to download and listen to. He also has verbal lessons for you to download - and they are FREE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and clear enough to be used with a primary school child, 10 April 2010
I agree with the points made in the good review by H Dann. I am using this with my 9 year old daughter at home. She is grasping the concepts easily since the pace is slow, and one idea is introduced at a time. We can do between 3-6 lessons at one sitting before overload sets in and her concentration fails. The free MP3 pronounciation guide on the website is a huge bonus.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a bit slow!, 4 May 2014

Each 'Lesson' introduces only one new word - be it verb, or noun, or whatever - and so it plods on rather ponderously.

Latin is a complex language and this route feels as though it will take forever to get anywhere with it because the steps are so small.
I can see how the writer believes that he is simplifying things but for me this is too slow. I hope it works better for other readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 20 May 2013
I have a limited knowledge of Latin and therefore thought that it would be impossible for me to attempt to teach my children - until I found getting started with Latin. The downloadable MP3 recordings are very helpful in getting the pronunciation right (we've gone with classical pronunciation) - these downloads are free which is commendable as there would usually be a charge for this sort of thing. It is apparent that the author has a real love of Latin and its promotion. We've only recently started but so far my children are enjoying the bite size lessons and have found it satisfying to learn the origins of English words (e.g. nauta/sailor and agricola/farmer) Some reviews have claimed it is too basic, but my feeling is that it's best to start at the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant!!!, 21 Feb. 2010
Amazon Customer (Bolton, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
I agree with everything the other reviewers have said so i will not bore you by repeating it. If you are new to Latin you MUST buy this book it is absolutely fantastic. I never thought i would be able to learn a language as i have always given up before, but this book takes you slowly and enjoyably through. I loved it so much i have just ordered his new Spanish version!! :)