4.0 out of 5 stars Tick-tock tinkering
A great example of the steampunk genre.

Good characters, surprising plot twists and an alternative reality that entertains whilst remaining entirely believeable. This is no mere tale with brass goggles added to make it "steampunk"!

Not for faint-hearted or squeamish ladies of Victorian bent, but a great adventure for those of us who love a good yarn...
Published on 20 Oct. 2011 by ReaderWriter

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me.
The style of writing and content were not for me. I thought that I might like it but didn't. That's what previews are for!!!
Published on 24 Dec. 2012 by D. J. Weston

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Free! It's well written!, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Clockwork Fagin (Free Preview of a story from Steampunk!) (Kindle Edition)
Great teaser from Cory Doctorow, sets up an interesting premise in an unusual world. What's not to like, except wanting more . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 26 Jan. 2014
I have often heard the term 'Steam Punk' but the excerpt I have just read is my first taste of the genre, ved

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Dec. 2013
D. J. Bird "dinkybloopig" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
The story is all you could wish for in steampunk . A very memorable tale of triumph out of adversity .

5.0 out of 5 stars kindle fiction, 7 Dec. 2013
A stonking good story well written and enchanting in a strange industrial way! To imagine orphans taking over their master and eventually triumphing in the face of adversity, a truly entertaining story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A steampunk Oliver Twist ., 9 Oct. 2013
A thoroughly enjoyable window into a steampunk children's home. Creative, atmospheric and uplifting. This sample steampunk story left me wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoking!, 22 Jun. 2013
Great story - imaginative, engaging characters and it really held my attention. I'm not familiar with the genre but this has intrigued me enought to explore further

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing introduction, 10 May 2013
Free - what's to say? Cory Doctorow obviously writes well so I'm not quite sure how he feels about his work being given away! A good introduction to Steampunk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to the Genre, 24 April 2013
T Marshall (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This is a brilliant example of literary Steampunk for those of us who have only seen pictures of it in the past. A tightly written short-story which doesn't sacrifice plot or character for the genre, but is still both interesting and believable.

The premise of the story is a neat tie-in with the story 'Oliver' (minus the music) and has the requisite pantomine villains and heros. The world to which we are sent feels more like an alternative reality than an impossible dream yet like all good sci-fi retains themes from the 'real' world to engage with us as readers, namely child-exploitation.

I would recommend this book to any adult who hopes to gain clarity as to what 'Steampunk' could be, or any bookish young adult who is looking for inspiration and a bloody good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good read, 18 April 2013
I have been a kindle owner for a short time and had been struggling to find many books of interest amongst the free books. Being a fan of Steampunk I gave this a try. I found the short story easy to read and entertaining. You don't need to have any previous experience of Steampunk to get into the setting. I would have liked to see the story take a darker turb but give it a try- I would certainly consider getting the full book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, 26 Mar. 2013
Didn't realise I had already read Steampunk (His Dark Materials) but was almost as pleased with this book as I was with the Pullman trilogy. Just Superb.