4.0 out of 5 stars Star Fish
Nicola May is a self-published author; something I admire her massively for. Having read Working It Out, and now, Star Fish, I'm amazed that she hasn't been picked up by a big publishing house. Seriously guys....sort it out!

Nicola May has followed in the footsteps of her debut novel Working It Out but this time instead of job-hunting, we are man-hunting. I...
Published on 23 Feb 2012 by Kirsty at Book - Love - Bug

3.0 out of 5 stars Fish this off your shelf and read it!
The book follows the character of Amy Anderson. She's unlucky in love and decides to join an astrological dating agency 'Starr & Son' in order to find her 'sole mate'. Her best friends are a bit uncertain about Amy's latest adventure but of course get behind her. However, Amy soon realises that not all star signs are a good match for her after a few disastrous dates but...
Published on 6 April 2012 by Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe"

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
Different from the other books I have read by this author, took me a while to get into the story, worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for a free book, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
The book was ok predictable all the way through until the end which was still a bit predictable which I didn't like. Spoiler alert but really? One of the cheating one's? Just quite happy I didn't pay for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start, poor finish., 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
Having never read anything by Nicola May before I was unsure what to expect but seeing as it was free I thought I'd give it a shot. The story started off well and I was getting into it then it just seemed to end suddenly. It was a poor ending, felt rushed, things left unanswered and in my opinion made the main character seem weak and she definitely ended up with the wrong person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astrologically fabulous., 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book, Amy's journey to find true happiness is a story that keeps you entertained and sustained. The characters in Amy's friendship group feel real and feature heavily throughout. This book had me on a roller coaster ride of emotions as the stories unfold and develop. The characters felt real and their no nonsense conversations had me giggling. Fab!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Nicola Mays books......so easy to read, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
Another fabulous book from Nicola May, always enjoyable, easy reading but offer some great advice on love and relationships. Believable, likeable characters, and great friendships, the astrology aspect didn't appeal to me too much, but the storyline was still very good. If things are meant to be they will be!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit obvious, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
Rather predictable and not a page turner for me. I'm not sure I will read stuff from this author again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starfish Nicola May, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
Such a great author will make sure to read all her books could not put the book down and such a imaginative story line that worked so well....well worth a readStar Fish

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ..., 29 May 2013
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
Having loved Working it Out, and The Bow Wow Club, I couldn't wait to get started on Star Fish. Unfortunately I was a little disappointed with it.

Firstly, the formatting on the Kindle was terrible - the horoscope at the beginning of each chapter, which I assume in a printed book would be in a different font and/or separate from the beginning of the chapter just ran straight into the first lines of the chapter. I fell for this every time, and started reading it as if it was the chapter. Very confusing!

Secondly, to me it read as if some parts of the book were out of sync - things didn't seem to happen chronologically, and I'm sure there were mistakes in what event was supposed to happen before another, which again I found confusing and a little annoying. I wasn't keen on the ending (what was she thinking??) - but no spoilers!

I think the main problem was that I had just finished reading Working it Out and The Bow Wow Club, so maybe to me it was just a little too similar - lead character gets drunk too often, has sex with every man she meets, has range of ditsy friends and handsome gay best friend.

I will definitely read Nicola May again, based on the other two books of hers I've read, but maybe just leave it a little longer next time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly but fun to read., 21 April 2013
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
A light and fluffy book - not too taxing.
An easy read and Ok for a freebie. Would have preferred something with a bit more story and a bit less sex.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun quirky read, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Star Fish (Kindle Edition)
I loved the idea of this book. A woman using a dating agency to date her way through all the signs of the zodiac. Firstly, I thought it was a totally novel idea, not a major fan of star signs myself, but a really good way to narrow down the massive amounts of same old dating profiles out there. Secondly, I am totally on board with any kind of books that revolves around Internet dating or a dating agency, it's a minefield of bad dates out there, if there can be humour found amongst that minefield, I am all for hearing about it!

I have to admit that I wasn't a major fan of the main character in this book. I disliked her impatience and her indecision. At some points in the book, she didn't give the men even half a chance to impress her, and yet in other points in the book, she was completely blind to the fact she was being taken for a ride. Well either that, or she could see she was being manipulated and just carried on regardless because, well, at least she had a date! I know it can be tempting to grasp on to any shred of positivity when you are in that dating minefield, but I really wanted to take Amy and ask her what on earth she was doing either dismissing this man too soon, or dating him for far too long. Perhaps though, this was the reason that I found this book so involving, you can't not be engaged with a character and want to jump into a book and give her a stern talking to.

I really enjoy Nicola May's writing style. She doesn't go into unnecessary details about characters or settings and really gets into the storyline in a light and breezy way. The tales in this novel were highly amusing at points, if a little frustrating at times. It was quite a short novel, a very quick read, and some extra time spent on certain story lines wouldn't have damaged the book at all. This, however, is my only criticism, and a desire for more writing, more storyline, can't be bad can it?

I think that anyone who is single or has ever been involved in this kind of dating, whether it be through an agency, online, or set ups from friends, will totally appreciate the stories within this novel. It was really quick read and so perfect for those choosing their holiday reading. The writing style is easy, and it is full of amusing quirky characters. Whether you like Amy or not, you cannot be helped from getting involved in her story and her quest for her true astrological match!

Star Fish