5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Cheerful!
Published 22 months ago by AmaTom

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the software
Purchased one of these recently. the hardware seems ok but the software is not compatible with Bluetooth and installed three TROJANS on my PC. Norton isolated them before any damage was done but could not delete one which remains on my hard drive but is inactive. May be worth while investing in a more expensive OBD tool with software that works.
Published 6 months ago by Kenneth Wheeler

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Cheerful!, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Wireless OBD-II OBD2 Auto Car Diagnostic Scan Tool
I'm delighted with this cheap and really useful device. I wasted time loading the software CD provided on my Laptop and trying but failing to make sense of it. BUT NO NEED! Just downloaded the free app called "Torque" for my HTC wildfire phone. Once installed I went through the settings for my cars weight, engine capacity etc, then plugged the Mini Elm327 Bluetooth into my Jaguar X-types OnBoardDiagnostics socket (Under the dashboard on drivers side just to right of the steering column - no tools required) started the engine, searched for bluetooth devices on my phone, found it, connected then ran the Torque app, went through the menu and selected the OBD device, entered the pass code "1234" and I was on line. The menu let's you read fault codes, gives you some explanation (more available on-line once you've got the codes) and can display various engine data in real time, even when your driving!. I tested it by disconnecting some sensors and it came up with the right explanations for the Check Engine Light (MIL) coming on. Brilliant. Just bought 2 more for my colleagues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Great Price, 27 Nov 2012
As an auto-electrician by trade it is fair to say I was sceptical about the quality and useability of such a reasonably priced product, but having received it I am pleasantly surprised. The build quality is fine even for what is basically a Chinese copy, not quite up there with professional diagnostic tools but easily fit for purpose.

I have only limited use of it so far constrained to both an android phone and an android tablet using a Torque Pro app.
As far as I can tell read/write speed is good and the Bluetooth connection has been very stable. I have found the connection to be fast and stable enough for live date read and even reliable enough for data logging.
I can't comment on the included mini-disc of software as I never had any intention of using it.

I have had no trouble reading and clearing dtc's with this tool any occasion.

In summary it is great for basic fault finding cross platform, it won't be flashing modules or re-programming keys and the likes any time soon but for the money a great tool for someone with a bit of knowledge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mini Elm Bluetooth OBD2 Reader, 4 July 2013
Following the appearance of the dreaded engine management light on the dash of my BMW 330D i looked arround on the interweb and found this was such a cheap option that it was worth a try. I downloaded a free app for my Android phone (Torque -the free version) and plugged in the adapter to the OBD2 port. The app and the reader paired seamlessy and read the fault code, A quick Google for the code and I was sorted the app was even able to clear the fault code. The lack of any info built in to the reader and app is my only small bugbear but with Google around it wasnt a problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the software, 9 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use plug and play, 10 Feb 2013
D. Greensmith (Lincoln Uk) - See all my reviews
My tablet finds it straight away, works well.
An on off switch would be nice if you plan to leave it connected, but not essencial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat on Focus 1.6 TDCi and Galaxy 2.0 TDCi, 1 July 2012
El Geraldo (South of Watford Gap) - See all my reviews
I'm new to the field of messing with OBD scan tools, although I've always wanted one. I'd really like the OBDLink MX from scantool.net. At $200+, this might be the best OBD to Bluetooth tool on the planet but that's a steep price to pay for something you might not get much use out of. I decided to take the risk on this 12 quid clone ELM327 unit and the gamble has paid off.

My primary reason for tinkering with the OBD on my car is to try and discover when it's performing a DPF regeneration cycle. Not sure whether this data is available from the OBD port at this stage.

The Mini ELM327 V1.5 adapter works well with my Android phone (HTC Desire). It discovers the Bluetooth interface on the ELM tool and the Android Torque app finds the device and immediately connects to it. When the device is initally plugged into the car, the red 'Power' LED lights. The green 'OBD' and yellow 'PC' LEDs flash for a fraction of a second and then go off. Once the PC/phone software is connected, the yellow and green LEDs flash rapidly, indicating comms with the car/computer.

Pros
* Cheap as chips - not really bothered if it blows up.
* Bluetooth connection to phone or laptop, instead of long USB cable to a laptop only
* Not too big - can leave plugged in while driving on my Ford Focus without hitting my knee on it. The same is not true in my other car (Ford Galaxy) because that requires leaving a little trapdoor by my right knee open.

Cons
* No auto power-off feature - Remains powered from your OBD socket even when no keys in ignition. This advertises the presence of the device to passing thieves and presents a permanent battery drain. At the risk of destroying the unit, I may attempt to add my own auto-off circuit, or a power switch at the very least.
* Bright LEDs fill the footwell with red/yellow/green lights at night. Simply tape over with PVC tape!
* Included mini DVD is a bit rubbish: Reported as having about 10 Trojans by AVG. Not sure whether these are real - AVG is a bit over-zealous sometimes. One of the folders was corrupt and could not be copied. Not sure I'd risk installing any of this software on my PC. Generic instructions were in Chinglish and not for this specific unit although there's nothing for the user to configure - that's all done by whatever software you use it with.

Things I haven't tried:
* Reading/clearing fault codes
* Which parameters can be read from each car
* Programming GEM/BCM/HEC modules in the Focus (apparently is possible with modified ELM327 unit and some free Russian software)

[Update 23-Oct-2013]

Bluetooth/ELM327 unit still going strong after more than a year's use. I typically plug it into the car once or twice a week. While the engine's already running, no less. It did once crash the CAN bus on the car, but that sorted itself out within 2 seconds.

I have found some more free software that gets good diagnostic info from Fords - search the 'Net for 'Forscan'. That's Windows only at the moment, but it gets almost as many parameters out of the car that Ford's own IDS scan tool does. I still haven't dared actually changing any of the ECU parameters or doing any service procedures - I'm just using the OBD port to observe. With one exception: I have used this adapter + Android Torque to clear some DPF-related ECU fault codes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart OBD2, 1 Mar 2014
S. Forbes "stu" (UK) - See all my reviews
Totally recommended. Connected to all my cars where others failed. Best buy yet. Even my MGZT260 which is Rover,BMW and Ford mix reads codes and sensors fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 7 Feb 2014
Item worked no problem. Was a little difficult to sort out but that was more to do with lack of helpful instruction from the Torque app. Well worth the money if you are interested in cars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat......, 11 Nov 2013
It works with my 2001 land rover freelander 1.8 petrol and my 2003 vw golf tdi with no problems, I use it with the 'Torque pro' app from google play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 12 Jan 2013
Connected to my HTC Desire running Android 4 with no problem, PIN 1234 fired up Torque (not the PRO version - the free one) and erased the check engine light on my 2008 Subaru Forrester. Also displayed live data from various sensors (oil temp. , intake air temp, speed, torque). Great for the money!