Having read the reviews I bought this book, along with the OGC publication Passing your ITIL foundation exam: the official study aid: The Official ITIL Foundation Study Aid (see separate review) and decided to take the open access exam (£155 inc. VAT) rather than opting for one of the various courses that were available (ranging from £595 to £1080 + VAT).
It's a long...
Published on 25 Feb 2009 by J. Macrae

1.0 out of 5 stars See the publisher
Sorry this is a one star for me. Firstly the print is very small which doesn't make it easy to read. The diagrams are in grey and white, which almost defeats the point of having a diagram (the preview pages seems to imply that a third colour is used and the cover a few more!). I scanned the content which feels superficial. May be okay if you have a magnifying glass, can...
Published 26 days ago by Meaningful Review

4.0 out of 5 stars an excellent guide but don't rely solely on it if you need to pass the exam, 25 Feb 2009
It's a long time since I've had to study from a book for anything but I figured that with 30 years in the industry, most of that spent in outsourcing and 3rd party services, that I would walk it.
I spent the first week studying this handbook, believing that a thorough understanding of ITIL V3 end-to-end would leave me perfectly placed to take the foundation exam. I then read the first couple of chapters of the OGC "official study aid", followed by a stab at the sample questions which that has at the end of each section.
Disaster! I scored abysmally and started to think that NOT taking one of the paid courses had been a false economy.
Then I realised that what the foundation exam is really looking for is correct terminology.
Now I don't necessarily believe that being able to name all the different parts of a car engine will make you a better driver but I have to concede that if the aim here is to improve the quality of Service Management (and in 30 years I've seen some bad examples of it, believe me) then establishing a common language and defining some agreed demarcation lines is as good a place to start as any.
So I put this handbook to one side and focused on the official OGC study aid instead. I concentrated on terminology and definitions and also found some sample papers on the Internet. I did a test paper every 2 or 3 chapters, along with the sample questions in each section of the OGC book.
My results improved over the course of the next few days and I took the open access exam during the second week of February. I learned today that I passed with a score of 92%.
My advice? If you want an excellent, comprehensive reference guide for ITIL V3 end-to-end, buy this handbook.
If you want to pass the foundation exam, buy the OGC study guide.
If you want to pass the exam AND understand the bigger picture, buy them both.
Either way, if you want to pass the exam, GET HOLD OF SOME SAMPLE PAPERS AND DO SOME PRACTICE.
I went through 5 papers in all. The OGC book contains one (caution: in my edition there was a typo in the answer to question 5), you get one sent to you when you register for the exam and I found 3 on the Internet.
I hope you found this review helpful. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars ITIL for the rest of us, 16 April 2008
I have been working with ITIL v2 since the end of the 90's. I had both titles from OGC (Service Delivery and Service Support) and used both extensively. I bought the previous version of this ITSMF book in 2003, and from then on, I barely opened the OGC publications. It served me very well over 5 years. Now that ITIL v3 is available I decided to invest in this ITSM book rather than invest over 5 times as much in the OGC versions. Like its predecessor, this ITSMF text is a gem: it contains all I need to know about the 5 process groups, the new processes, and how I should go about introducing v3. I would heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every ITIL Consultant/Manager MUST own this pocket book, 21 Jun 2008
A. Kumar "Amit Kumar" (London - Harrow) - See all my reviews
I am an ITIL Consultant and an ITIL Trainer, with MBA in Technology Management. When I first looked at version 3, I smelled MBA style of Service Management and no doubt, ISEB released a Diploma there after.

I wanted some text that could tell me exactly and precisely, like a summary of ITIL v3 life-cycle approach and how each process fits in the life cycle; without going over the five fat books.

And I found this. I based my buying decision on other buyer's comments on amazon; however found that this book is invaluable.

I now use it before the meetings to prepare my list of questions and of course, its so small in size that I have it in my pocket most of the time at work.

Buy it.....and you will not regret your purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good study aid, 4 Oct 2009
vince steele (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a pocket sized study guide a month before sitting my ITIL v3 Foundation - and I got a 95% pass! The good thing about it is that it goes thru the 5 stages of the service lifecycle and then, carrying on with the same "split" goes on to describe all the processes. These are the key bits to study and it explains them well in an easy to understand format.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good buy, 9 Jan 2009
M. Harfield (England) - See all my reviews
I heartily recommend this book. I bought it as an IT professional in Application Support who needs to work closely with an ITIL Service Management area and wanted to get an understanding of their approach. This little book it packed with information that is clearly laid out and easily accessed. It explains terms concepts concisely and with clarity.

The book page size is A6 so the font is necessarily small but the clarity of the lay out helps. The size of the book is a real plus as it genuinely fits in your pocket if you need a ready reference on the move.

The one thing it doesn't contain is any pointers as to the difference between ITIL V2 and ITIL V3 which may be a consideration to some buyers but did not affect me.

Excellent value for money and a genuinely useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 5 July 2010
This book is a small reference book but is well written and well structured. I would highly recommend it as a reference book and also as a great way to learn the basics of ITIL v.3

5.0 out of 5 stars ITIL v3 Pocket Guide, 18 May 2009
Ian Kingdom "KD" (UK) - See all my reviews
If you need a quick reference guide to the main principles of ITIL v3 this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the OGC pocket book !, 12 May 2009
M. Michael "mollym" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Why is it better, because if you want to see the process diagrams you won't in the OGC pocket book because you will need a microscope to read the words, the diagrams within this pocket guide are in bigger text.

This particular book is way superior,and includes a number of blank pages inside where you can write your own notes in - I love pocket books like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Title really makes sense, 7 Dec 2010
Very nice comprehensive overview of the Lifecycle, processes and funtions. To me it was a very usefull wrap-up just before the certification exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tool for the day to day, 11 Jun 2010
Working as a Solution Architect who is constantly delivering solutions to different customers I am regularly juggling the different tools and methodologies that help people to structure and deliver their IT.

This book is one of a number I have in my bag that remind me of the meaning of different phases in the different methodologies. As a concise summary it's an invaluable tool to enable me to reorientate my thinking for the target audience.

ITIL® V3 (Best Practice Library)