5.0 out of 5 stars Socks a-plenty
I got this book for Christmas and loved it so much that I started knitting a pair of socks that afternoon.
The book is divided into two sections:
Published on 5 Jan 2010 by Tora

2.0 out of 5 stars This description is misleading .....
The Amazon description of this product says it has 172 pages. It does not...it is one pattern only. I have complained to Amazon and asked for this to be rectified but it hasn't. Returned the pattern because of this and as I didn't think it was value for money.
Published 22 months ago by Sue Dale

5.0 out of 5 stars Socks a-plenty, 5 Jan 2010
The book is divided into two sections:
Part 1: Toe-up essentials - this section has the basics of how toe-up socks work, including the different cast-ons, the toes and the different heels you can use. It also tells you how to alter so the socks fit perfectly. Finally this section details different cast-offs (bind-offs) that you can use to make sure your sock is perfectly finished.
Part 2: Sock patterns - this section has 23 different designs that you can knit, including lace, gansey, cable and sportweight socks. The patterns are beautiful and can be combined to make your perfect socks. There is a mixture of charts and instructions given.

I would say that this is one of the best books that I have ever been given for sock knitting, especially as her website (given in the book) has more support and images of the finished socks to inspire and help you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toe up socks, 12 Feb 2010
This review is from: Socks from the Toe Up (Paperback)
The great thing about these patterns is that they work. Wendy D. Johnson is always reliable. I love knitting in the round and socks are a lovely little bit of engineering. I have bought other sock books on line in the hope that there will be at least some toe ups and have been disappointed. It is my preferred way to knit socks and you can make sure they fit exactly as you go because you can try them on. I do knit on one or two circular needles, but prefer 5 pins and you can knit in your preferred way with any of these patterns. I have not mastered Estonian cast on, I use double knit cast on which works for me. Why is it difficult to buy 5 dp pins in a packet, there are usually just 4 ?
One small point, I knit in the British way. I don't pick like most Americans do. This means that you have to make some adjustments to the way some stitches any knitted. e.g. SSK is described as slip 2 stitches from the left to the right pin and knit together in front of the two stitches. This is probably easy if you pick, but it is cumbersome if you don't. I find it much quicker to knit through the back of the two stitches together. Same result and much quicker for UK knitters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 12 Feb 2010
This review is from: Socks from the Toe Up (Paperback)
I recieved this book the other day, and I'm not a great knitter, I find patterns hard to follow, but becaause Wendy does her patterns as charts, I have actually got a finished pair of socks, and there a lace pattern! From the beginning of the book everything is done step by step, which makes finishing the socks easy. I can't wait for Wendy's next book to be published. Definately worth a purchase if your looking for an easy to follow book, with amazing patterns.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, a small shame about the patterns, 23 Mar 2010
This review is from: Socks from the Toe Up (Paperback)
I bought this book thinking that it would be easier to learn how to make toe up socks from a book rather than web pages. I was so right...For once I found explanations which were much easier to follow than the youtube videos I had found, especially for Judy's magic cast on - it was so easy I got it right first time!

This book only scored 4 stars for me because I didn't find as many good patterns in it as I would have hoped. Maybe this is just my taste in socks, but I would probably only knit 20-30% of the patterns in the book as I prefer more modern sock patterns.

Definitely a worthwhile buy though if only for the explanations, am looking forward to seeing what the next book holds in store

5.0 out of 5 stars toe up socks, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: Socks from the Toe Up (Paperback)
The method Wendy uses here means that I can knit socks for all my family i can easily judge how long to make the socks without left over wool or running out and having different colout toes as so often happens when knitting large mens socks, the technique works for any thickness wool any sized person and is easily memorised. I have made socks for my husband that he wears constantly, he has skinny bony feet with long toes and thick ankles and they fit far better than any he has had before so much so I had to knit cotton ones for the summer, I have made ones for my own swollen feet and balloon like ankes that look attractive and are in fun colours unlike socks available for people with swollen ankles. I have also knitted socks for huge sized feet where shops do not cater readily for them. Every pair I have knitted has been a total success and has fitted like a glove unlike many traditional sock patterns. The only point to watch with this method is especially if you are making the socks for someone with swollen ankles or chubby legs is the casting off must be loose, I normally cast off and leave the final pull through thread loose and attatched to the ball so that if it is too tight when tried on I can easily undo it and cast off a bit looser. Saying that you soon get used to it and then there are no problems with this method. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BOOK

5.0 out of 5 stars My first socks, at last!!, 29 Mar 2012
This review is from: Socks from the Toe Up (Paperback)
For a long time I wondered what all the fuss about sock knitting was (apart from the gorgeous yarns, of course!) and now I know. I tried cuff down, but got bored long before it came time to turn the heel, but with toe up, it was a very different story. Having something that looked like a sock after just a few inches and being able to try it on as I went along, just made me want to finish the pair and get them on my feet. My first socks were a triumph, thanks to Wendy :)

The book describes in simple steps how to start, how to make the heel, how to do the shaping to get a perfect fit for your individual feet and the patterns are easy to follow and pretty enough to inspire you to want to make them ... all of them! There is a sizeable section on the various different ways to cast on and off, different techniques for making and shaping toes and heels and there is even more support and info available from Wendy's website, so she pretty much has all bases covered for new and experienced sock knitters alike (though this book is aimed primarily at beginners).

Then we come to the patterns. Lovely, lovely patterns! Short socks, long socks, plain socks, patterned socks, socks for ladies, gents and kiddies; all are covered. I'm a fairly experienced knitter, so I had no problems following any of the patterns, though I did have to YouTube some things I'd never done before eg wrap and turn, just to make sure I was doing it right. I loaned the book to a friend who has only been knitting a couple of years and she managed to turn out a pair with very little help from me. Although I wouldn't describe myself as a sockoholic (I love my lace shawls too much for that), I would certainly recommend this book to those new to knitting socks, as a good reference guide to the techniques and terminology used and because the patterns are beautiful, very wearable and you will want to knit them, over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars New techniques, 28 Oct 2009
Mrs. M. R. Harvey "Mobile Mad" (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Socks from the Toe Up (Paperback)
A really nice book for those of us that don't know how to knit this way. As I struggle with the grafting of toes on the top down method, I can't wait to try this method. Really pleased with this one. While it's not the only book on the subject, it is one to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Toe Up, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: Socks from the Toe Up (Paperback)
I have been considering a Toe Up sock book for some time. I'm glad I chose this one. It has a detailed and easy to understand technique section and the patterns are excellent. Glad I added it to my collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars super, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Socks from the Toe Up (Paperback)
the best book for this method, very supportive now that I have done a workshop, but I couldn't get my head round it before I did the workshop.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 15 May 2013
If you only buy one sock book, buy this one. I found the 'plain vanilla' section particularly useful and I have the socks to prove it.