5.0 out of 5 stars 100 dates in 100 days - a Nuts article? Seemingly not!
Published on 17 Jan 2012 by silverhorse

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good - honest writing and lots of laughs
On the whole I enjoyed this book. I was familiar with Dave through some of his other projects and so picked this up. I find him a very truthful writer - someone who puts himself out there and wears his heart (and heartbreak) on his sleeve. As a woman it's nice to read about dating from a guy's perspective but the thought of so many dates in such a short time filled me...
Published 22 months ago by HaylesBails

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 dates in 100 days - a Nuts article? Seemingly not!, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: Date: The Diary of One Man's Ultimate Dating Challenge (Kindle Edition)
Having been recommended `Date' by a colleague just prior to a Christmas largely spent on Easyjet I downloaded it to my Kindle with no great expectations, because men don't write about dating,do they? And even if they did, wouldn't it be in a swaggering, Nuts' esque manner designed to maximise the lothario reputation of the writer? I have to say that I was pretty taken aback. Having spent much of the last six years with a man who believed that sympathy was just a word placed in the dictionary between `s?*t and syphllis' and that emotional literacy was a myth created by dungaree clad primary school teachers and Guardian readers, it was something of a revelation to be reminded that there really were men out there who really were searching for `the one'. This may seem like an odd thing to say about a bloke who decided that going on 100 dates in 100 days was the best way to accomplish this goal, which seems like a somewhat mysogynistic concept to begin with. What about the poor `datees' who knew nothing of `the challenge' and who were also just scratching around the internet in hope of finding their soulmate? It is testament to the real likeability of the writer that you don't simply end up thinking him to be someone who uses genuine people as mere`material'- by the end of the book your sympathies are firmly with Cornthwaite rather than many of the plethora of women that he dates, who range from sublimely described Goddesses that he falls for to the sad, the badly dressed and the socially challenged (most of whom he is generous about, rather than overly derogatory). I won't spoil the plot, but in the end the hunter becomes the hunted,and the author's description of rejection and recovery is one of the most moving I have read in recent memory (and I teach sonnets for a living. Sometimes.). If you're bored of chick lit or fancy reminding yourself of what it is like out there in the land of first dates then this is really worth reading and great fun. Even if you are stuck on endless uncomfortable orange planes in the season of festive fun....

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare first hand experience of the dating scene written from the heart, 3 Jan 2014
Mr. S. R. Morris (UK) - See all my reviews
What can I say about this book that all the other 5 star reviews hasn't?! This book is written with such raw honesty it will leave you an emotional wreck by the highs and lows of Dave's journey. And what a journey! A fantastic read that I'll be recommending to all my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 21 Nov 2013
AGS (Abergavenny, Wales) - See all my reviews
All you want in a book! Funny- lots of laugh out loud moments, as well as giggly bits. Entertaining - couldn't put it down. Thought Provoking - especially the last chapter. Great Story - love, romance, despair (bit of lust and sex!) soul searching, satisfyingly cathartic. However, I would say, be prepared to become paranoid about your body language, grammar and punctuation!! (small price to pay).

Worth every penny!

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, entertaining read, 12 Nov 2013
A very entertaining book that made me laugh out loud at least 25 times, so that's once every 12.4 pages - pretty good eh? An eye-opening and refreshing take on dating from a bloke's point of view and well worth a read if you intend to dip into the world of on-line match-making, have already done so, know anyone who has dabbled, or equally if you think you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - it might make you change your mind! Dates with disobedient dogs, fetish high heels, dizzying curly hair - all manner of girls from the dull to the dazzling. But will there be a happy ending? You'll have to read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, Honest and Refreshing, 5 Aug 2013
I'll hold my hands up and be the first to admit that novels of any kind of romance and love are not usually my thing, but as a massive supporter of Dave and his ventures, I knew 'Date' was a must-read...and I was not proven to be wrong.

Dave's honesty when it came to his feelings was refreshing...it's not often we hear a guy's perspective on love and all things cheesy!

As I continued to read the book, I found myself going on a dating adventure along with the author...willing him to have an amazing date and find the lady of his dreams. Of course though...bad dates were to be expected and boy, did Dave have some dodgy dates...including a girl that resembled cross-dresser comedian, Eddie Izzard!

I would recommend this book to both guys and girls to have a read, not only is it genuinely hilarious, but you never know, it may give you some starters on how to have an amazing date yourself.

Have a read and see if Dave found the girl of his dreams! If you haven't read his other book too, 'BoardFree'...you have to. I'm not lying here when I say it's probably the most inspiring book I have and will ever read! It teaches you the importance of dreaming, of friendship, and most importantly, of challenge! Go ahead and treat yourself to a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant distraction, 5 Mar 2013
I read Dave's book while rowing across the Atlantic. It was a nice distraction reading about all that girls, when all I had around me were three other smelly rowers.
Sometimes I was imagining how perfect would be if I was able to go on a date between the rowing shifts :).

5.0 out of 5 stars Date - More than just a book about dating, 12 Feb 2013
Bloody awesome read. Dave manages to make the ordinary very amusing, and every date is different. Kept me entertained a very long flight, chuckling away to myself. We've all been there, which makes it all the better, reliving all our past attempts at dating too.

Well worth a read to anyone looking for love, and even for those who have found it.

Thanks Dave for making me smile and laugh a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and entertaining till the end, 14 Jan 2013
I bought this book after following the author on Twitter. Its not my usual type of book but I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. It makes a pleasant change to see a dating book written by a man and who is not shy about wearing his heart on his sleeve.

I found it well written and a laugh a minute, I even stayed up till 2am reading the last chapters as I so wanted to see what happenned. A must read for everyone, no matter if youre still looking or have already found the one.

Im already reading his other book Boardfree and cant wait for more to be published

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional rollercoaster of a read, 9 Jan 2013
This book will...

1. Make you laugh. It brought more than a few smirks to my face as I recognised some of the internet dating conundrums Dave was experiencing during his challenge to date 100 women in 100 days.
2. Restore your faith in men (if you'd misplaced it). Not all men are idiots. This book is proof.
3. Piss you off a bit. Dave's writing is HONEST. This is what makes it so captivating. But when he says he doesn't like something about his dates that you recognise in yourself it might just piss you off, because, for some reason, you find yourself comparing yourself to the dates and wondering...would Dave like me?
4. Bring a tear to your eye (if you're as soppy and emotionally delicate as me). This book is funny, for sure. But there are parts which tore me apart from the inside out.
5. Give you hope. Dave reminds us that those people who set our hearts on fire, turn our lives upside down, inside out and make the world more beautiful, more full of possibilities than it was before are out there, for all of us. Our journey to find them may be long, with its highs and lows, but everything we learn along the way will only serve to make that relationship, when we find it, stronger, healthier and more wonderful than if we'd had no struggle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave's Bravest 'Adventure' To Date, 15 Sep 2012
"Date 58 is slim & brunette. In her hand is a lead and at the end of the lead is a dog that is possibly a rat in disguise." It takes a brave man to attempt to date 100 women in as many days, but that's the exact challenge that Dave Cornthwaite set himself one Autumn day in south London.

I must point out that if you're expecting to read a misogynist's account of intense dating, you'll be very disappointed. Whilst our protagonist meets up with a myriad of females during the book, from the intriguingly aloof to the ever so slightly needy via the socially inept, at the time he genuinely was looking for a long term girlfriend and he is courteous and respectful of each and every one of the dates, regardless of how awkward they appeared to be. That aside, this really is one of the funniest books I've read in quite a while. I had colleagues in the office asking what was tickling me at times during my lunch break, as I sat giggling uncontrollably at my desk after reading about some of Dave's encounters.

I won't completely spoil the ending for you but he does eventually fall for one of the girls and learns a very valuable lesson in the process. A very moving ending to what started out as a hilariously funny book.DATE: If you dated a new person every day how long would it take to find love?

ARRAY(0xa0a8aae0)