5.0 out of 5 stars An Unbelieveable Album
I cannot stop playing this CD - every song is a massive leap forward from The Back Room. The first thing you notice is the 'size' of the sound - more expansive and widescreen than the debut, with lots of piano and backing harmonies. Tom's voice, too, has developed into something really special.

1. Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors

A great opener...
Published on 15 Jun. 2007 by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Portentous
Amusing how the big Interpol v Editors debate culminates in this show down between their third and second albums respectively...and that I am disappointed by both! Editors have self consciously "gone big" - which is not something I mind in and of itself, heck, I've been to a few stadium gigs in my time, but, on this showing, "going big" means too many mid-tempo, dreary,...
Published on 27 July 2007 by avl06

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Still shining,but only just!, 28 Jun. 2007
Paul M "ROYALSFAN" (Reading ,England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
With The Back Room being one of the brightest British debut albums of this decade,any follow up was bound to be scrutinised,and fortunately Editors have avoided the disappointing second album syndrome....But only just.

An End To A Start shows Editors maturing and effectively refining their sound to meet the demands of a larger audience[and most likely arena sized concerts].Where The Back Room soared with a frenzied energy,An end To A Start goes for bombast and the slightly contrived histrionics of early U2.Nothing really wrong with that except Editors musical potential is enormous,and by merely relying on a tried and tested route to major stardom negates the bands true musical potential.Thus the real fault[if you can call it that],of this album is its failure to seize the musical initiative with both hands.

On the positive side,An End To A Start,has enough good songs to propel Editors to another level[Whats the betting a Reading headline spot beckons next year?],and whilst the album falls a little short compared to second efforts by Muse,and Coldplay,Editors have passed the important second album test proving they still have the potential to realise some truly great music.If that day ever comes Editors will have the world at their feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Buy It!, 30 Jun. 2007
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
After a cracking first album, I did wonder if this would be a 'difficult second album'. Actually, An End Has A Start is even better in my opinion. It differs from their first album in that it is more epic in sound, sounding like Joy Division fused with U2, and I wouldn't be surprised if, as a consequence, they become massive. The best songs in my opinion are the title track, When Anger Shows, and The Racing Rats. Push Your Head Towards The Air manages to do what REM's Everybody Hurts does, it's a lovely healing song. Ignore the silly NME review and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you Start, you won't want it to End!, 27 Jun. 2007
S. Fitzell (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
When a band release a great first album, then attempt to follow this up with a second album, I'm always sceptical that their debut can be matched or even improved upon. The Back Room was a great album, so naturally I was eagerly awaiting the release of 'An End Has A Start' with great anticipation. But I also had a sense of scepticism - could they produce an album as good as, or even better than The Back Room? Answer: Yes.

I sat down for the first time to listen through the 10 tracks in a row and immediately found myself going back and repeating tracks! 'The Racing Rats' is probably the highlight of the album for me, its a superb up-tempo track reminiscent of 'Blood' and 'Munich' on their debut album, and will almost certainly be released as a future single. The album's title track 'An End Has A Start' is another hum-dinger of a tune, which I also hope is released as a single as it will no doubt be a success.

Other great tracks to look out for are 'Bones', the poignant 'Weight of the World', and the quite magnificent 'When Anger Shows'. Even 'Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors', which was a great comeback single and has undoubtedly attracted people to buy the album, almost seems a distant memory now that I have listened to the whole albumn!

The only sticky point is that a few of the slower tracks such as 'Push Your Head Up Towards The Air' and 'Well Worn Hand' are a little tedious and boring to listen to, but this of course is just my opinion.

Suffice to say, The Editors have pulled a rabbit out of a hat with this album. Although its fairly short at 10-tracks, it is quite simply a little gem. I would thoroughly recommend this for anyone who liked The Back Room.

My ticket to the V Festival in August this year has just become even more valuable with the release of this album - well done guys!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Editors Are Back!!!, 25 Jun. 2007
MT? "15Matthew20" (Foulridge, Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
I've just been out in the pouring rain to buy this album so i was hoping for something quite special. I wasn't disappointed. As a big Editors fan i was aware of the standard they had to match to compare to their excellent debut 'The Back Room'. However from pressing play to ejecting the CD i heard what i believe to be a record that matches, if not, (in places) betters the other one. Tom Smiths voice has definitely improved (it was excellent before) and the ideas behind the songwriting seem somewhat more adventurous. The lyrics are quite grim but this is an album for which various deaths provided a lot of the ideas so you have an idea of what to expect.

I'm still amazed that this album recieved 2 out of 5 in Q magazine. Shows how little they know. If you liked the first record go out and get this as soon as you can. So far my album of the year, closely followed by Kings Of Leon 'Because Of The Times'. Get that as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Editors Step Up to the Plate, 15 May 2009
C. Skinner (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
The UK needs an anthemic, uplifting band with credibilty and this album shows Editors may just be that band.

I believe on this album, Editors have shaken off the critics calls of 80's revivalists, and found a sound all of their own.... And the sound is huge!

The opening track sets the tone, pounding drums, Tom's deep baritone vocals, and a huge crescendo of guitar sound. You know then that this album is going to be massive sounding. It simply doesn't let down the power until track 8.

This is the sound of Editors picking up their arms, in order to show that they are the kings of anthemic stadium rock. I can't wait to find out what these dark disco loving musicians bring us next.

Superb album.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am addicted!, 26 Sept. 2007
R. Urena "lover of powerful music" (Torrance, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
I can't get enough of this album. I have already memorized all the songs. The guitars are amazing, the drums: a heartbeat. These songs give me the goosebumps. It makes me feel the way U2 once did. They don't remind me in the least to Joy Division or Interpol. I mean, sure, Tom has the same monotone voice that gets compared to those bands. But, Editors are different. I don't find Editors to be as depressing as Joy Division. They invoke powerful emotion in me. I feel so awesome when I hear track 5 "When Anger Shows" in my car. I sing along and it's so brilliant!! I can't wait for album #3. I saw them play live 2 days ago at the Wiltern and I have to say, very few bands can rock harder live than they do on their album. The Editors did just that. They blew me away. My body is still sore from all the dancing and singing and screaming I did. Thank you, UK for the brilliant bands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Editors's sound evolves, 7 July 2007
K. P. M. Maas "Kiko" (Amsterdam, Holland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
I have been an Editors fan since "the Back Room". When I heard "An End Has A Start", I was at first sceptical. There were no instant catchy tracks like Munich, Blood, All Sparks, etc. But after a few times listening... Really this album rocks, I even rate it higher than "The Back Room" because of the diversity. Give it a chance, especially track like: "Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors", "An End Has A Start" and "Escape The Nest". Can't wait to see them perform live.

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same?, 15 Nov. 2007
Mr. B. Mcmillan "Bazalinhio" (West Lothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
I hate to go on about ends and starts but this album very definitely begins better than it finishes. There are some genuine up-tempo highlights, most notably 'Bones' and 'An End Has A Start', while the current single, 'Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors', has a bassline which leans heavily on Carter USM's 'Sheriff Fatman', so how could this be anything other than brilliant? And then there are the quiet ones - you have to watch those! There is a great difference between a slow song and a boring one and Editors prove this point here. 'The Weight of the World' is a beautiful example of the former, while 'Well Worn Hand' should certainly be filed in the latter category. Some of the tracks are hard to get at first but after a few listens some will begin to unravel, while a few will remain rather dull. Give the album a few listens before writing it off as yet another disappointing second album. Admittedly it doesn't improve on 'The Back Room' but it is a reasonable addition to Editors' catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Editors Are Back - Bigger and Better, 24 Jun. 2007
Editors debut The Back Room was a good album, although it never generated them the success that they undoubtedly deserve. An End Has a Start is a triumphant return; from the crashing title track to the intimacy and emotion of Push Your Head Towards The Air and will transoform many an opinion of the band.

The first single, Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors - is a fantastic combination of piano, thumping drums and spikey guitars. Oh, and Tom Smith's fantasic voice, which seems to soare through the song, asking "How can we wear our smiles/With our mouths wired shut." This is set to do for Ediotrs what Chasing Cars did for Snow Patrol.

The title track of the album is another triumph, with everything combining to truly amazing effect as Smith crying "You came on your own/Thats how you'le leave!" The lyrics describe the brutalness and ultimate lonliness of life, as even those with best intentions "lose everything".

The Weight of the World is one of the few instances where Tom Smith's lyrics talk of optimism and hope, claiming "Every little piece of your life/Will mean something to someonew, highlighting the love and loyalty of family.

Bones, while remaining a fantastic track, making a terrible attack on bulemia and anorexia is the most out of place song on the album, seemng better suited to The Back Room, being reminiscent of Blood and Bullets. "Bones, starved of flesh, surround your aching heart."

When Anger Shows, is Smith displaying the transformation that an emotion can cause in a person. The singer describes this as his favourite track on the album. Here, the interpol and comparisons are clear, as Smiths voice takes less of a role in the song, focusing more on the musical ability of the band as a whole.

The Racing Rats is one of my favourite songs on the album, with particularly poignant lyrics. Smiths almost pleads; "If a plane were to fall from the sky/How big a whole would it leave in the surface of the earth?"

Push Your Head Towards The Air is reminiscent of Coldplay, with piano and militaristic drumming. However, this takes nothing away from the song, indeed Tom's voice is particularly beautiful. The song is a again a reference to death and loss: "I will run, just to be by your side...Push your towards the sky."

Escape the nest is th most upbeat song mucically in the second half of the album and is particularly good live. The song reaches a crashing chorus, featuring a brilliant wall of sound, only for a guitar to cut through it bringing in the next verse.

Spiders is the one song on the album which i have failed to get into, so I will let people draw their own conclusions.

Well Worn Hand is the most simplistic and saddest song on the album, featuring only Tom's voice, guitar and piano. The lyrics reflect the emotions and feelings of those in the event of death: "Today I heard some bad news/Just what are we all supposed to do?" Smith then tells of the effect of of this on life: " I cant go put at night anymore." The song is a disturbing, yet touching way to conclude a fantastic album.

Match that, Interpol

5.0 out of 5 stars must have alt rock entry, 4 Jan. 2015
Pir (Pakistan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
Fantastic desert isle disk...as with indi rock never thought that I would like alt rock but hey I love this album. Introduced through the TV Series CHUCK that featured "The Weight Of The World" I bought this album. And it has not left the cd player as we keep playing it over and over again. A lot of death is featured in the themes and these can be dark but the music is very nice and lyrics poignant. Excellent listening!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›