4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 29 Oct 2006
C. J. Walker (U K) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
There are many compilations of Melanie's early recordings and this one isn't the best but is a good starting place if you're not sure.Melanie is a singer you either love or hate and I LOVE her,ever since I first heard her striking version of Ruby Tuesday I was hooked.She has a voice that can go from a whisper to a banshee in one line,a unique singer with so much emotion,she draws you in and takes you with her on a fantastic ride.Why is she so good,because she can sing anything,rock,pop,folk,blues and more,if she had decided to become a soul singer then her career would have gone skyhigh,she is so good,but she has kept to her own individual style.All of her early hits are here,her best album in my view was"Candles in the rain"and its well represented here,including probably her best vocals ever on Leftover Wine,a truly mesmorising song full of power and passion,it just dosent get any better than this.Melanie is still recording today,but her albums don't get the recognition they deserve,most people only remember her for Brand new key,or Brand new combineharvester as recorded by The Wurzels and tend to only think of her as a novelty singer,which is a shame because there is such a lot more to this lady and I hope she will be remembered for the wonderful singer and songwriter that she is.Melanie you are BEAUTIFUL.

4.0 out of 5 stars 40 years on from Candles in the Rain, 24 July 2009
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
Someone sent me the youtube of Melanie doing 'Candles in the Rain', the one with the spoken intro & Woodstock slideshow. It really took me back and summed up so much about that beautiful summer. Then, serendipity, I discovered Melanie was doing a 40th Anniversary gig of "Candles" in a small Nottingham theatre. I got my tickets and then thought I oughta find out more about her repertoire.
Okay so I knew 'Ruby Tuesday' and 'What have they done to my song' and 'Brand new key' - a song that was destroyed (and probably her credibility too) by that god-awful Wurzells cover, but what else was there? At this price I couldn't go too far wrong could I? This album gave me a great and beautiful overview. "Beautiful People" is an anthem, 'The Nickel Song' terrific, 'Baby Day' & 'Peace will come' well crafted songs. Suddenly I'm a fan with tickets for this momentous gig, a tribute to her Woodstock appearance when she took the stage just as the heavens opened. I didn't even know she'd done Woodstock. This is a lovely album. It may not become the best in your collection but will be a contender for best value. I love it. Love, Peace, sixties and Flower-power. It's a shame those damned Wurzels interrupted when they did - that's what we all remember. How unfair.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'A BLAST FROM THE 'SEVENTIES' SCENE', 8 May 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
'Melanie' This American artist perhaps best remembered here in the U.K
for her version of the 'Rolling Stones' album number 'Ruby Tuesday' which
remains one of my all time favourites sung by either 'Melanie' or the 'Stones'
However the song that first caught my attention was her 'Brand New Key'
(adapted famously by the 'Wurzels' 'Combine Harvester')
'Melanie' had a long string of hits in the U.S. kicking off in 1970 with 'Lay Down'
(Candles in the Rain) 'Brand New Key' gave her a U.S number '1' here in the
U.K. it peaked at number number '4' in 1971.
'Ruby Tuesday' Charted at number '9' in the U.K only reaching Number 52 in
the U.S.
One of her other well known songs here in the U.K 'What Have They Done To
My Song Ma' (Chart U.K '39' 1971)
She also had two or three other low-order U.K successes (not on this album)
Among some of the other interesting tracks on-board 'The Nickel Song' - 'Peace
Will Come' and her versions of 'Bob Dylan's' -'Lay Lady Lay' @ 'Mr Tambourine Man'
'Melanie' famously appeared at the much acclaimed 'Woodstock' festival way
back in 1969 'Flower-Power' and all.
The music of those times certainly had it's effect on the music-scene.
'Melanie's voice a little laid-back in style perhaps in a similar fashion of 'Bob Dylan's'
vocal's.
This for me is memories of a different time (early seventies) different world maybe.

4.0 out of 5 stars a bargin, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
I was thinking about recording from an LP when I saw this which has a good selection,was cheap and is minus the scratches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Best Of (MP3 Download)
Another forgotten artist from my vinyl collection who has stood the test of time having been recently rediscovered. Melanie's unique voice and lyrical skills cover the whole range of emotions from ballad to belting it out. Not just the best of Meleanie, but the best of the 70's female singer song writer era.

5.0 out of 5 stars A standard collection from a superb voice!, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
A standard collection of songs by Melanie. There are a number of "The Best of Melanie" compilations out there, all having very much the same tracks. But the cover of this one is better than most! Her very distinctive voice not only suits but enhances many of the songs - especially those that she did not write!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to hear those dulcit tones again, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Best Of (MP3 Download)
I own 4 of Melanie's LPs on vinyl but never play them so it was great to get all her best songs on a single MP3 album. Oh the memories of the 70's came flooding back.

4.0 out of 5 stars melanie, the best of., 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
bought this cd from amazon, being an old hippy my self. I like it but it just does not have the feeling that it used to have.
Still a good cd maybe im getting old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Best Of (MP3 Download)
What a voice! Takes me back some years but it still sounds fresh and genuine. Some of the songs just won't go out of my head

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenage relived, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Best Of (MP3 Download)
Very happy memories of teenage years. Many of the songs do not seem to have dated over the years and I can still remember all the words.

The Best Of