Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 October 2012
1957 wasn't all about the rock & roll greats of Elvis, the Everlys, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Fats, Jerry Lee & the other giants of the time. This CD reflects the mix of songs that were released at that time.
With the benefit of hindsight it's always a surprise to see what didn't make the charts.

This CD contains a number of tracks by established stars as Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Eddie Cochran & Jerry Lee.
The attraction of this series of London American year by year CDs is to find those less well known tracks that are real finds & again Ace records have come up trumps.

Great tracks by Clyde McPhatter, The Moonglows, Dean Beard & the Crew Cats, Chuck Willis, Joe Turner, Ruth Brown & Ernie Chaffin.

There are a few tracks that are hard to like but they represent the music of the time.

Sad to say that the Patience & Prudence track is not a patch on their two hits; perhaps their mother wasn't singing on this one.
However, if you like clever American songwriting, you'll enjoy such lyrics as:
'the moan & groan of a tenor saxophone',
'the repetition of a rocking composition',
& my favourite:
'we are up a tree & can't ignore it
You see we haven't got the voices for it'.

Wonderful stuff. Add this CD to your collection. You won't regret it.
on 2 February 2012
I would most personally have thought and imagine that most us who enjoy this/our music have been waiting for this most magnificent release and it doesn't really need a review from anybody. I was very pleased and both impressed to read that the intro is from one of my favourite personal reviewers Eric Dunsdon who I follow with great interest each month.
Where to start reviewing these tracks I wouldn't really know where to begin with as we start off with Fats Domino, then in comes Chuck Berry followed closely by Johnny Cash and the CD finishes off with Jerry Lee Lewis with both other big names in between plus quite a few other interesting numbers by other artists who although didn't make the big time were also there at the time. What is amazing is that all these releases were on just one record label Decca's, London American something that EMI missed out on even thou they started Liberty Records!
The accompanying booklet is a true work of art and genius of the first order and full credit to Ace Records for actually reproducing a copy of each individual disc and some of them in the older 78 format (quality!), and that is apart from the as always most excellent quality of the sound reproduction of the music. I know that Ace have said that they will, be going backwards, stop here but hopefully they may take a look at 1956, if this release is a success as I am sure that it will be? I haven't stopped playing this little beauty!
on 25 March 2012
I've collected all the CDs in this wonderful series, and just like the rest this is another quality CD with a very well presented booklet.

Bit surprised at some of the 28 tracks included. I appreciate they go for a cross-section and some less obvious ones, but some of the worst ones for me could be someone else's favourite, so it's a personal thing I guess. I'm sure we would all come up with 28 different tracks if we had the choice to dip into all the ones available.

Overall another great CD and excellent book of notes with it.
Firstly the positives, Yet another great sounding, quality compilation by 'Ace' records (the 7th in the series so far). The cd runs 64.12 mins. and comes with a comprehensive 24 page booklet. As for the music - it would be easy, if incorrect to only cite the fantastic music on this cd but in truth I don't think i've listened to a more polarised compilation than this (some of it is SUBLIME, the rest is AWFUL.) In a way it not only shows the diverse range of music that 'London' were releasing but indicates the struggle of the old guard of music to the on slaught of rock n' roll. Overall, I would still recommend buying this cd. It's fantastically produced, and contains some of the worlds most outstanding music and i'll leave it up to you to decide which tracks are outstanding or not.
on 3 February 2012
I have all the CDs in the series but this is a disappointment. The booklet and sound quality (although I prefer the sound on the One Day CD The London American Story 1957) are up to Ace's usual standard but the track selection isn't. With 176 releases by London in 1957 there must be many that are not often heard but are better than a number included here. After a good start, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry etc. things go from bad to worse. With a few noteable exceptions the rest of the tracks were consigned to oblivion soon after release and should have stayed there. I can't believe anyone bought A Rose And A Candy Bar by George Hamilton IV and there are better versions of Step It Up And Go sung here by Mac Wiseman without any passion. We Can't Sing Rhythm & Blues might have novelty value but is a truly awful record.

To sum up about half the cuts are worth the money the rest should have been left in the can. Buy this if you are collecting the series, if not buy the One Day release it's a lot better and much cheaper. Can we have 1964 next Ace and leave 56 alone for a while.
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2012
Excellent. Best yet. Ace is definitely the King of the re-issue scene. I'm now looking forward to 1956 and 1964 later in the year
on 14 March 2012
In the booklet Merle Kilgore describes Ernie as "the worst song I wrote".So why wasn't this heap of crap strangled at birth-it makes the Benny Hill one of the same title sound like a classic
There were so many great London singles issued in 1957-Jimmy Gavin's I sit in my window has never even been on CD yet-neither come to think of it has the Russ Miller,Crew Cuts versions.Only Jim Dale's cover exists here as the original by the 4 Fellows is only available in the States
How do they decide what goes on these comps anyway
Ernie Chaffin I don't remember hearing on Luxemburg but I love this Kelly Sims type song.In fact if Kelly Sims had made this song-which she could have done as she was on Fernwood-it would be among my top 50 All Time Favorites which includes her only single Bewitched by love
London lost the Fernwood label to Top Rank anyway.