5.0 out of 5 stars practical, research-based solutions for improving self-control
Formerly called "The Willpower Instinct", in this book McGonigal brings together the newest insights about self-control from psychology, economics, neuroscience and medicine to build willpower. She is a health psychologist at Stanford School of Medicine where she teaches a course called "The Science of Willpower" that quickly became the most popular classes ever offered...
Published on 23 Mar 2012 by D&D

1.0 out of 5 stars Maximum Willpower needed to read Maximum Willpower :\
Was expecting it to be more of a eye opening look at willpower but is more of a self help guide, read small amount and got bored. Maximum willpower needed to get through it I think, not an interesting read.
Published 9 months ago by johnjams4

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Explaining willpower, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Maximum Willpower: How to master the new science of self-control (Kindle Edition)
This is more than just another boring self help book despite the corny title and cover.Even if you are not going to do any of the exercises the text contains a fascinating mine of infomation on the subject .Worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating research backed book, 6 Jan 2013
This is the same book as Willpower Instinct but apparently UK publisher opted for a cheesy title that will sells.

The author is a professional and the book summs up recent research on willpower. I found it very enlightening and definitely useful. I knew some of the studies but the book provides a big picture and discusses most aspects of reasons behind our willpower failures.

When I buy books I always focus on those that are research backed and I check the credentials of the author a well as references. This book was one of the best I've read over the last 12 months.

EDIT: Jan 2014 (1 Year lated) I can now testify that this book had a massive impact on my life, over the last year my productivity improved 300%. I can't assign all of it to merely reading this book but I worked with the knowledge and found my own way to implement it so it fits my personality.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 30 Jan 2012
I would have liked to know that it recommends meditation on the breath.I value meditation but with the scientific explanations of the effect on the prefrontal cortex found it more helpful. I felt I wanted to get on and prove it to myself. So far so good,as stated in the book I am taking my time and not rushing to read it cover to cover.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maximum Willpower needed to read Maximum Willpower :\, 24 Oct 2013

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›