on 21 June 2012
I bought the blog compilation a year ago and then downloaded this full-length book. As the blurb says it's new material I've not read before. Darker and funnier in many ways as you follow the guy through a year with sections on repossessions, auctions and all the other property stuff we don't understand.

Can't say I like estate agents any more than I did at the start (not a lot) but it's a great and enlightening read and well worth the money after some of the rubbish my wife has downloaded for her Kindle. You can see why he's written for papers and magazines just wonder why he still sells houses?
on 27 December 2011
Whether you love estate agents (someone must do) or loathe them, this book is well worth a read if you want a behind the scenes look at what really happens in the world of property. In fact even if you have little interest in property but love entertaining fly-on-the wall tales this book is for you.
Secret Agent will challenge your preconceptions (sometimes), confirm your worst suspicions (occasionally) and make you laugh (often). One thing is certain - as the book info says: you may never look at the men and women in suits and sign-written cars the same way again. I know I haven't.
on 9 February 2012
I have followed the blog on and off and read the first book, which was in some respects just more of the same. This second one is both darker and funnier and I feel develops the character of the Agent much further. Whether working in the industry or elsewhere, most of us who work in a customer facing business can identify with the endless pressures from above to deliver more with less, motivate staff, and extricate a thank you from a customer.

Another reviewer found it depressing, whilst I agree he ends this read considerably nearer to the abyss than at the start, most of us can take heart that we're not quite that desparate yet and I was left with only disappointment that I'll have to wait for the next one to find out what life has in store for him next!
on 7 May 2013
Well hardly. But it all sounds so dreary and full of hard-luck stories (and I'm not talking about the poor house owners here..)
We all thought they were whizzing around in their Beamers, indulging in highly imaginative sales literature writing and propping up wine bars in the evenings... But...No... It appears that they are put-upon, hard-working, misunderstood souls who are desperately poorly rewarded for their thankless workload......
However, in the real world - it's too far-fetched for me!
All that misery doesn't make for a good read either - Sorry!!
on 12 December 2013
As an ex estate agent, who left the career when I hit 40 I can completely relate to the protagonist - a quickly approaching middle age man running a corporate chain estate agents. There is some wry and amusing stories, that pepper the novel. I was amused and entertained.

My criticism surrounding the book is that over the year of running the agency there wasn't a greater turn over of staff (which is common in agency), and more sculduggery, I wanted more and a satisfying ending. However it does lead on for there to be sequels. Please let there be a sequel.
on 7 December 2011
Like a few million others, I sit on the train into work every day. Especially when I head underground, the inane drudgery of the journey is hard to shift. Increasingly, I have been downloading content to read on my smartphone and my good friend the Kindle - The Secret Agent is very high on my list.

As someone who has seen their fair share of dodgy leases and even dodgier agents, the view from the other side of the fence is an amusing and a startlingly frank one. Anonymity allows 'SA' to pull no punches with his descriptions of colleagues, rivals and punters alike.

With a concise yet descriptive writing style, I feel like I have got to know the characters SA meets on a regular basis. Long may the Diary continue, and I hope more people get to read this! A sleeper hit!
on 9 January 2012
I bought the Agents Diary compilation and enjoyed it, this book gives a more in-depth look at the estate agency business but still features the same 'characters'. Some of the stories are really funny yet insightful too. Not sure I feel sorry for estate agents yet, but this is well worth a read and gives hints and tips on how to make your next move less painful. I certainly know where to stand next time I go to a property auction!
Buy it.
on 13 February 2014
Good story teller and believable author. Good for practable advise on dealing with estate agents (relators in US/Canada)
General tone is of a person not to happy in his job but this does not distract from the humourist element in his stories of his working life
on 22 February 2013
As a property man I have to say this is spot on. The characters are true to life, in fact I'm sure I've met some of them. A thoroughly enjoyable read. Five stars and a free EPC...
on 1 January 2012
The Secret Agent is a master of the blog. Funny, self depreciating, world weary and -very simply- a great comedy writer. I love what he does and cannot recommend him highly enough. This download is so very good.