With the ever increasing demand for SSDs and availability of disk cloning software, USB3 to SATA converters has become a necessity for those wanting to upgrade to an SSD.
Yet this little converter is not limited to SSD only. You can transfer data between any traditional hard drives without mounting the drives into the computer. All you need is a USB port.

I decided to buy the Anker based on several positive reviews.

The quality packaging serves as great protection of the contents during shipping & storage, and contains the USB3 to SATA adapter, a USB3 cable and a UK plug 12Volt/2A adapter (which is not needed in most cases).

If you have a USB3 port, file transfer or disk cloning is very fast. The device is backward compatible, so UBS2 will still work, albeit considerably slower.

A neat feature I really like is the ability to "Hot Swap" drives (without the need to power down the computer), and that is why there is no On/Off switch on the device itself.

The adapter is made of quality plastics and feels solid. I have no doubt that it will last for many years.

Once the job is finished, the adapter and cables can be stored in original packaging with ease.

The Anker USB 3.0 to SATA Converter Adapter is such a time saver, and due to build quality and ease of use I rate it 5 star and highly recommended.
on 7 December 2014
Perfect piece of kit for my reasons. I had a broken expansion drive a connecting port had broken off inside so stripped it down unplug the Sata board on the drive. Placed this on and transferred all my movies music etc etc was simple and works faster than originally. Nice piece of kit.
review image
on 5 December 2014
I admit I was slightly concerned when purchasing this little kit that I wasn't sure it would work and even if I had the right adaptor for what I wanted. I was looking to copy some old data from an old PC onto a new one. I've used Anker devices in the past so I knew it would be of good quality before I'd even bought it.

Put simply this adapter means you take any external SATA hard drive and plug it into your PC using a USB slot, and then access it like it was nothing more than a flash drive. Anyone changing or maintaining PCs should have this, transfer and save documents or savegames easily and fairly quickly (don't forget to plug it into a USB 3.0 port for better speeds).

Adaptor provides power (from a mains socket) to the hard drive as well as making the SATA/USB connection. Plug it into your PC and access it easily. Does exactly what I wanted. Perfect.
on 17 March 2014
After experiencing a serious operating system failure on my laptop I needed a way to access the hard drive to retrieve my data before diagnosis & reformatting the drive. After some research, I decided on this product due to price and previous favourable experience with products from Anker.

I found this product to be compact, well made, easy to use and reliable for the job and would recommend it without hesitation.
on 20 March 2013
I bought this having bought a Samsung SSD and finding that, although it came with migration software to clone my HDD, it didn't include a cable! This adapter allowed me to connect the SSD to my laptop via USB and clone the HDD. Job done.
on 7 April 2014
Unlike another cheaper SATA to USB lead I tried, this one works with Samsung Data Migration Software to allow cloning of drives. Other cheaper leads do not provide the full drive info to the PC, this one does.
on 18 January 2015
Sadly, this does not fit for a 2.5" Seagate USM drive because its SATA socket is not long enough, which means one has to strip out the drive from its enclosure to use it.

Apart form this inconvenience, it works very well, and I am keeping it. I was tempted to give less than 4*'s but Anker do good stuff... ;)
on 20 December 2015
I needed this Converter Adapter to clone my iMac hard drive which was 'Failing' and not possible to repair at all. The pins side of the Adapter bar slots onto the pins of the new SSD Sata 3.5" drive I purchased as my new hard drive. The power plug goes into the bar to the side of the USB socket (the other end of which goes into the PC or MAC). I used Carbon Copy Cloner software to make an exact copy of my original hard drive, complete with partition and Apple Recovery Drive. It works like a dream when booted externally and tomorrow I will be opening up the iMac to put the new hard drive inside. Great to have everything ready to go on completion. I can't recommend this item highly enough.
on 28 December 2015
I've used similar devices hundreds of times over the years (i'm a computer technician) and can honestly say that they are worth their weight in gold. This particular one is made by Anker which to me signifies quality and is why I chose it over the other brands.

Feels like a a quality piece of kit and I expect it to last for a long time.

Some of the previous reviews mention that it doesn't come with a plug. I can confirm that I got everything I need in the box which included the USB Cable, the UK Power Supply and the SATA Interface.
on 1 November 2015
Product comes in 3 pieces. Firstly, attach the plate to the SATA hard drive. Then connect the power and finally the USB.
Connect the other end of the USB to the PC and your drive magically appears.

That's all there is to it.
Ensure you eject the USB device or power the machine down and take care when removing the plate from the Hard Disk.

Rapid switching is possible though ensure the device is ejected first and the USB is connected. You may get a miss-read if you try (as I did) to attach the plate with it connected to the PC.

Perfect for my needs.