Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£15.99

on 14 May 2002
Platinum is a stunning box set of classics and rarities from the King.
I really dont know where to start, this is such a huge set, with so many standouts and masterpieces form the earliest moments of his monumental career to his final sessions.
What amazes me is the utter wealth of material that continually surfaces year in year out, but not only this. The fact is that its great stuff.
The alternates takes from the Sun era are always a pleasure, as are latter recordings.....and no he was definately not a "bloated charicature churning out lackluster medleys of hits." Some people criticise without even listening to his music. Listen to the stunnning "Way Down", the alternate here differs from the master. Or "Danny Boy", with only Elvis and a piano and an astounding vocal here and on the towering "Hurt" or the funky "For the Heart." Listen to these, all from his last sessions in 1976 and tell me that he was washed up.
This is a box that you will rediscover time and again, definately 5 stars.
on 2 May 2013
There have been several Elvis box sets released over the years particuarly in the 1990's.
This one from 1997 is another fine example, of the care an attentiion that RCA BMG have put into the Elvis back catalogue in the last 20 years. Arguably the record company have put more care and attention into their post-humous Elvis releases than they did in his lifetime, perhaps at least since the 1950's, with other possible exceptions being in 1960 and 1969.
In the 1980's upto 1987's "All Time Greatest Hits" there were many budget releases. The success of the "All Time Greatest Hits", seemed to wake RCA up to the true value of the legacy they had.
This set is one example mixing original masters with alternate takes or unreleased jams provides a fascinating insight into Elvis at work and serves as a document as to how the music happened. Occaisionaly sometimes you might even come across an alternate take that you like more than the original release of the same song. This maybe your mind ticking you into believing you are hearing something totally new.
Elvis fans know that when he was focussed on a recording session he would experiment until he found the right feel. Sometimes there was obviously more than one right feel.
There have been many collections of this type released over the year and this happens to be among the best. With several collections available you do have to consider how many versions of a certain song youe want to listen to, although RCA do seem to be mindful of this as additional collections were released.
I am currently reverting back to the original studio albums at the moment. But, this collection and others like are valuable, historic records and for this they deserve all 5 stars, especially when you find a nugget of gold in an alternate take.
on 19 June 2012
Wonderful box set. It's all here, the big hits and tons of outtakes and rare tracks. The sound on some of the alternate takes and live performances is a bit 'scratchy' because it was purposely not remastered, but I actually like it...it gives it a nice touch of the past. This is probably more of a collector's edition but I'm no collector and I absolutely love it. When I want to listen to The King, I listen to this set. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to go a little deeper into this man's music, which had a lot more to offer than just the big hits we all know. 5 stars.

Update 28/07/2012:

I've had this set for over a month now and can say this: This IS a collector's item. The music here is brilliant. There was real care taken in the choice of tracks, mastering and presentation. As some one relatively new to Elvis Presley (I was 5 years old when he died...) I cannot describe what being 'new' to his music is like. Elvis, Little Richard and Chuck Berry basically invented rock and roll and, with that, modern music. I used to see this man as a joke; The fat guy in jump suits doing Vegas shows but, NO, nothing could be further from the truth. The music he made was REVOLUTIONARY; Music that changed music forever. In a short time, I have become an avid Elvis fan and this set has a special place on my shelf and in my CD changer. I would recommend you buy this limited edition before it starts to sell upwards of £100 (and I bet it will soon.)
on 25 December 2015
Wow. That's all I can say. There are some takes on here that I possibly love as much if not more than the masters - and that's what makes Elvis the greatest singer of all time - his throwaway takes are of a better quality than most people's best.

I've just listened to take 4 of "I'll be home on Christmas day" 3 times in a row. And not because of the time of year - because it's so amazing. And don't get me started on the brilliant, slightly longer "You'll never walk alone".

This box was released in 1997 and I've seen it advertised on other sites about £12 cheaper - but it's rarely in stock so I'd grab a copy while you still can. The pictures in it are excellent.

But I've only had it a couple of days and I've already spotted some errors in the booklet. Here's a couple of examples:

Disc 4 / Miracle of the Rosary is listed as 3:51 - the length is actually 1:53
Disc 1 / When The Saints Go Marching In - says he recorded it Christmas 1956 when on home from the army on furlough. He joined the army in March 1958. Am I missing something here?

I know I'm being picky - but it was a bit of a surprise as these box sets are usually brilliant.

The pictures are excellent and there's a handful that I've not seen before. I'd def recommend this.
review image review image
on 18 June 2016
To add to my collection of Elvis CDs....
on 14 February 2015