5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 3 Jun. 2009
G. Egan - See all my reviews
Finally, an easy to follow recipe book for Sri Lankan food! This book is exactly what I have been looking for in the last 10 years. I like the little tips that Peter provides along with the recipe instructions. For example there were some tips on how to select tamarind, this was excellent. All the other Sri Lankan recipe books I have, assume that one has this knowledge innately...perhaps from watching mum cooking. I wasn't even remotely interested in learning to cook from my mum in our Sri Lankan kitchen when I was growing up, so it's refreshing to see Peter's approach at writing this book. I have all the recipe books that have been published by well known Sri Lankan cooks, but from now on, Peter's book will be the one I would recommend to anyone who wishes to master the art of Sri Lankan cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful 'flavour' of Sri Lanka, 12 Jan. 2010
L. Lewis (York, North Yorks, England) - See all my reviews
This is a beautifully produced book and different from the run of the mill cook book in that it has reminiscence's from the author of his homeland and his family and the part they played in his interest in food. There are many photographs (especially inside the jacket that folds out to give a whole 'vista' of images of Sri Lanka) which add to the whole beautifully presented feel of the book. I purchased it as a gift for my husband who has never had his own cook book before but after our trip to Sri Lanka, was desperate to find somewhere to enjoy more of the wonderful food. Where better than in our own kitchen?! We were both delighted to read the book first and be excited to see recipes of many of our favourite foods, even the gorgeous breakfast hopper (we had purchased a hopper pan from the local market and obtained the hotel chef's recipe to try at home whilst in Sri Lanka!)
The recipes are laid out easily and for any ingredients the author thinks may be tricky to get outside Sri Lanka, he suggests alternatives. We have found nothing so far that we cannot obtain in local specialist (chinese/indian) food shops.
Sri Lanka is an amazing country and this book is a wonderful reminder of it. We cannot wait to go back, meanwhile we can enjoy the authentic recipes in this fabulous book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A taste of home, 23 Sept. 2013
We live out side of our beautiful paradise island. We have been watching Peter's programmes on TV and was fortunate to find this book on amazon! Invited some non Sri Lankan friends over for dinner with some dishes made for this book and the dishes came out absolutely like they should with the typical Sri Lankan taste and our guests and us just loved the food!! Had the table laid out in typical Sri Lankan style in clay pots. A must buy for all Sri Lankans and those who love food that really treats your taste buds.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly beautiful cookbook, 8 Dec. 2012
Being married to a Sri Lankan my attempts of curry have rarely hit the spot! My first attempt using a recipe from this book was a huge hit. It really is a beautiful book to own and we have now bought more copies as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good for the kitchen shelf, 30 April 2010
Kindle Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a gorgeous sumptuous book, too good to keep on the kitchen shelf getting greasy. Lots of pictures of the food, and family pictures of the author growing up as this is essentially a personal memoir as well as a cook book. The food photographs are perfectly styled to evoke long languid relaxed family meals, and the recipes are straightforward enough to ensure the cook stays as relaxed as the guests. None of the recipes are complicated, and most of the ingredients are freely available these days, though the authors' insistence on using some of the ingredients, such as curry leaves, fresh only is a bit of a challenge where I live. I would have liked a "where to buy" section at the back of the book, but I'm sure a quick google (other search engines are available) will find most of the products for me. Sri Lankan cooking has been a backwater in Indian cuisine for a long time, but hopefully books like this will make it more popular and widely known. This book is excellent for anyone interested in Asian cooking, but a must for anyone who has enjoyed a holiday in Sri Lanka, and wants to preserve the memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars reminder of sunny sri lankan holidays, 18 May 2013
Good recipes, lots of local ones, not found in other books (hoppers) and plenty of photos of the beautuful country of Sri Lanka. Good to look through and read even if you are not cookin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased, 18 Jun. 2012
Great Book, I bought it for my husbands 40th birthday to re-create the lovely memories of our honeymoon in SriLanka.

We have managed to find just about all the ingredients now and have tried a few recipes all of which have been lovely.
The book is easy to follow for my husband a talented cook, and for myself who is rarely found in the kitchen.

Goes brilliantly with the TV series which we are now re-watching!

Cant wait to try more :O)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sri Lankan cook book, 20 Jun. 2013
My wife and I holidayed in Sri Lanka earlier this year and loved the food (as well as the scenery, wildlife, people etc). My wife was keen to get a Sri Lankan cook book and she is so delighted with this one. Apart from wonderful recipes the book contains marvellous stories about the author life in Sri Lanka and lovely pictures. The book itself is also beautifully presented.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 12 Mar. 2013
Beautiful book with easy to follow recipes i've just returned from sri lanka and it took straight back amazing country great food

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 28 April 2012
Wow - this book is a thing of beauty to behold and contains all the basics you need to know - we have had great adventures in Sri Lanka, love the food and the people and this is just perfect. It would also make the most perfect gift - if you are hesitating then please just add it to your basket and hit that checkout, you will not be disappointed!