4.0 out of 5 stars (American Evangelical) Church History, 6 Aug 2010
This is an interesting, articulate, thought-provoking book. I really enjoyed reading it and, although I already knew a lot about the history of the Western Church, it still provided me with plenty to think about.

However, I had to knock a star off because it's not quite what it claims -- a history of the Church as a whole. There is a definite bias towards the American Evangelical church -- naturally enough, since the American author is an Evangelical and teaches at an Evangelical seminary. However, the entire thousand-year history of the Orthodox church is summed up in a single chapter; another deals with the churches in Asia, Africa and South America. On the other hand, there is chapter after chapter on the history of the evangelical church.

I would recommend this book, in spite of these flaws; it has provided me with food for thought, especially with regards to the relationship of the Christian to the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Church History, 29 Aug 2013
I. Walker (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Church History in Plain Language: Updated 2nd Edition (Plain Language Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was a recommended text book for a Church History course I am teaching in London this Autumn. It is a very readable though comprehensive account of church history from the early church to fairly recently. Well worth a read to understand the culture and environment in which the church has grown.