on 21 August 2012
This does what it says well. Comes with a 2Gb SD card which is enough for most films and 4 batteries. The on screen display is a bit fiddly with options, you only get a choice of two resolutions, and no ability to playback/delete etc. but I wasn't that bothered about that. Picture quality is good, better than both of my digital cameras. It's feels constructed well too.

The worst aspect is probably the manual (although at least it HAS a printed manual which is a rarity these days). The micro USB port is power only and it doesn't say that anywhere (it doesn't even confirm it's a power port!) The OK button normally has to be held for a second or so two get it working (by design apparently as a quick press seems to flash the LED for some unexplained reason). But those things are small and it's generally very good. Video format is mjpg avi which played on Windows for me first time and was easily converted for more complex editing.
on 17 February 2013
Having already one too many digital cameras that had no time lapse function I decided to buy this product, since purchasing another digital camera (DSLR) was out of the question.
The Brinno TLC200 is as easy as it gets in making a time lapse video.You set the interval, the frame rate ,press ok and you are done. Once filming is complete press the button again and your time lapse video is ready on your SD card, no waiting time whatsoever. You can also choose to enable a time stamp on your videos, band filter for indoor shooting( 50 or 60hz depending on where you live), low light shooting (if you want the camera to shoot under 5 lux)and video resolution (640*480 or 1280*720).
The quality of the video at 1280*720 is amazingly good, as long as there is enough ambient light (daylight in particular). The quality drops with low light conditions, so have this in mind should you want to shoot night scenery projects.
pros:
-fast and easy to set up and shoot
-battery life is no problem, minimal drainage only when the camera shoots
-good quality video(at 1280*720 and 30 fps)
-robust design,not flimsy

cons:
-low light conditions impact greatly on the quality of the video
-no playback on screen of the device
-video may need editing to another format in order to play it on some TV's and players(at least it doesn't play on mine)(plays perfectly on computer)
-not very good at close-ups (macro), since there is no way to adjust the focus

Overall I'm very pleased with this camera,easy and friendly to use and with good quality video. If you want professional-look time lapse video and/or shooting in vey low light conditions (night) I would suggest investing in a DSLR.So far, my Brinno TLC200 works like a charm!

A word of advice: there are a couple of accesories for this camera, like the weatherproof case and the wide lens.Both are great for what they do, BUT they don't work together!! If you use the weatherproof case and try to attach on the outside the wide lens the image distorts, because the distance between the device and the lens lengthens. I contacted the brinno support and they told me that there is nothing that I can do except to edit the video with some software afterwards...For the price of the wide lens, the camera itself and the weatherproof case this is unacceptable.
If you want to pick one I'd say go for the weatherproof case, the wide lens is a bit overrated, to my opinion, and VERY flimsy to attach (magnetically via a metal ring with adhesive backing which you attach on the font lens of the camera...)
on 8 August 2012
The TLC200 is exactly as I expected it be. It is a very basic product, but does exactly what it claims, and does so very well. The design and interface is very simple and effective. For my work, I found it helpful to power the camera via USB rather than use up batteries. It would be good if a USB power plug with a long cable came with it. Also an SD card with a larger capacity.
on 7 November 2012
If you want to create simple time lapse films, this is ideal and very easy to set up and use. The simple settings allow you to vary the photo intervals so that it can work for an hour or several weeks. Then when you download the images off the card it automatically creates your film for you. I bought this for work to create films of installations, but it would be great to monitor building projects or whatever else. If it is purely for fun it is an expensive gadget, but if you have a real need, it is ideal. You can see a film I made while experimenting with it here [...]
on 4 January 2013
I had real high hopes for this product. I've been experimenting with Time Lapse Photography with both my DSLR and an app on my mobile phone and had achieved great results so decided to purchase a dedicated camera for time lapse only.

The camera is described as being able to produce HD video.... I would like to know what the description of HD video is. The results I have had are fairly poor. Indoor images in low light are grainy. Any lights in the video overwhelm the cameras sensor and you get over saturated areas. Outdoor shots are about as good as you would expect to get from a webcam purchased from Poundland. You get a picture, and in focus but the clarity of image is just not there.

The manual gives brief information on the camera functions but to be fair they are quite self explanatory. One thing I would have like to have known before buying the camera is the playback rate. The camera automatically converts the images into an AVI video, so you have to set the frame playback rate before you start taking your pictures. The maximum playback rate is 30 frames per second so if you record a particularly long project the video is going to be 15 minutes or more long. I prefer my time lapse videos to be of a shorter duration.

The on / off button seems a little temperamental. Starting the recording works ok, but when I press to stop, it usually takes several attempts for the camera to respond.

All in all I was expecting a far better quality product. It is not cheap to buy, but I would class it as a toy. If your just taking quick fun shots of clouds, or the seasons changing in the garden its perfect. If your looking for sharp, clear images of flowers opening for example, I would consider investing in something else.
on 29 December 2013
the Brinno is well put together and well thought out but is let down by poor optics. The object lens itself is smaller than that on my mobile phone so therefore cannot get enough light in under anything other than bright sunshine. I am a pro photographer and although I didn't expect pro results i was still disappointed...even lighting a scene with a 250w model lamp resulted in video that was grainy and looked poor - not something i would want to publish even for fun. The 720 res is too low too and looks like a bad youtube upload on anything other than a mobile phone screen. Yes, it's pretty cheap but i wouldn't bother - it's a toy at best and it will be getting sent back.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2014
bought as a birthday present for someone who has everything. Gives a new angle to photography, can get some good film clips Good value camera, easy to use and download
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2015
I love this so much...... I have many other cameras, including GoPro but this does the 1 job its intended for so well its amazing! I LOVE this bit of kit
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse