5.0 out of 5 stars Magical
As both a gamer and a lover of urban fantasy, I was very pleasantly surprised by this marvelous book. I can't recommend it highly enough!
Published 20 months ago by Monica

3.0 out of 5 stars Virtual Reality Bites
A mixture of sci-fi and fantasy, FEYLAND asks readers the question: what if those fantasy worlds within computer games were real?

Published 19 months ago by The Demon Librarian

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 21 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Feyland: The Dark Realm ( Feyland Trilogy Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and magical, 12 Dec. 2013
I bought this book and was finding it enthralling . The names seemed familiar to me as I read .
I realised that I had heard the Ballard of Tam Lin before . I decided to do some research as it totally fascinated me.
I can't tell you the feeling I had , a sheer coincidence , you think. ? I only live in a beautiful cottage and if I look to the right out of my window, Caterhaugh and Tam Lin well can be seen . The land hasn't changed much over the years. It's a beautiful place to live. Calming and magical. Newark ruins I believe is where Janet lived . looking forward to reading the next book in the trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new concept!, 4 Jan. 2012
Jade (Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
Bottom line? I loved this book. I think I might be a bit biased as the whole concept massively appeals to me, as a World of Warcraft player (don't scoff, we all have our guilty pleasures). The concept is fantastic and I loved that the story was set in the future, but we only know that because of the technology, the other changes are subtle. It's futuristic fantasy, but not dystopian which is pretty refreshing. What really grabbed me was how well Sharp meshed the real world with the fantasy world so seamlessly, and the way she described her world was so vivid.

At first, I didn't think that I would like Jennet as a character, I felt that at the beginning she acted selfish and immaturely, and was simply using Tam and not considering the risks that she was putting him at, though I started to like her more and more when I saw her reasoning. I instantly liked Tam, and I liked the way that his viewpoint on Jennet changed as ours did, it made me feel very immersed in the story. I also enjoyed that their relationship was very much a partnership, you can see the relationship develop but it's very much in the background until the right moment, meaning that this book is more about the adventure than the romance.

I absolutely loved Sharp's writing, the third person writing but following both characters meant that we get a wide view of both of the lived and how they come to intertwine, and as well as that the world she created was fantastic. I look forward to reading more from her.

Overall Rating: A

5.0 out of 5 stars Briiliant new gaming/paranormal concept, 6 Dec. 2011
So Jennet's dad works for a company that develops gaming machines and gets to try out the prototypes at home (lucky girl)
However what starts as a great perk, becomes a very dangerous kind of game. Is Jennet going mad or is Feyland real? is the game itself a portal to another land? What a brilliant new paranormal concept, usually we have fairies so sweet and nice and invisible but all around us in this book we see another side of the fae, the evil side! Can Jennet and her newly found friend who has a heap load of problems in his own reality beat the dark realm of Feyland or will they be lost forever?
Together, Jennet and Tam enter the Dark Realm of Feyland, only to discover that the entire human world is in danger. Pushed to the limit of their abilities, they must defeat the Dark Queen... before it's too late. There is always so much happening!
I loved this book, there is something going on all the time, it really keeps your attention,whether it is learning more about Tam's life in the Exe where he lives with his younger brother and his mum, or whether it is "life" in the sim game. The places within Feyland are described so well you can picture them.
The characters are really likeable and you care about them straightaway. You worry about Tam and his brother when their mum is not there.
The book ends in such away that there has to be a book two!
I would say if you enjoyed Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series then you will also enjoy this book. I initially read 20% of the book and had to put it down to sleep! then I picked it up the night after and could not put it down I literally read the remaining 80% in one go. Well worth the 86p for your kindle you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feyland: The Dark Realm, 6 Jan. 2014
Jennet is lucky enough to try the prototype of the world most immersive computer game, Feyland. However, she soon figures out that it is not a game, and that part of her soul is trapped in it by the Dark Queen. Jennet must find a person who is better at playing computer games than her to save it and her life. Tam is brilliant at playing games but with his flawed family barely scraping by, he does not want to let Jennet into his life. Will the two of them be able to save not just Jennet's soul but all of the human world from Feyland? Feyland is a very interesting book which is a mixture of paranormal and sci-fi. I like Jennet and Tam as they are both very relatable, but I preferred Tam as he is so strong from having to look after his family. I would recommend Feyland to fans of unique paranormal books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 4 Nov. 2013
Fren (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
A fabulous mix of modern technology, medieval magical ballads, modern mystery and action adventure. I loved it and want to read more

3.0 out of 5 stars Virtual Reality Bites, 7 Sept. 2013

I've never been much of a gamer. I had a brief period where I was addicted to Gran Turismo - totally wupped my husband's butt, too - and another bout of trying to get that cow Lara Croft to do as she was told. But other than that, it's not really my thing. It was enough, however, to understand the mindset of the kids in this book and their addiction and love of it. Jennet is the daughter of a game developer and as such, has access to the latest technology, including a beta version of a new full immersion Sim game called Feyland. Pretty soon, it becomes evident that the simulated world is actually a gateway to the real, if alternate, world of the fair folk of myth and legend, and that what happens in the game has real life consequences.

Overall, I enjoyed Feyland, although I don't really feel like I was its target audience because despite the fact that I've read and loved a lot of YA novels, I suddenly felt very old reading it. I'd describe it as VYA (very young adult) as it was super squeaky clean content-wise and something I would let my 12-year old daughter read. Nothing inappropriate at all with regards to violence or romantic situations. This doesn't stop it being a good story, of course, it just made me feel set apart from it; as though I was reading it simply for review purposes rather than for my own enjoyment.

Like I said: not its target audience.

There is a lot of good here, though, it has to be said. Interesting characters; particularly Tam and his difficult home life. Also the burgeoning relationship between he and Jennet was sweet. He's a bit of a nerd, she's a bit of a princess. From opposites sides of the track, as it were, in what appears to be a rather frightening speculative America full of gangs and violence on one side, and technology-rich luxury on the other.

I'm settling on 3 stars for this which means "I liked it", although I have no plans to read the next instalment. Maybe my daughter will, though;)

3 Stars ★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars In a great tradition, 1 Mar. 2015
Put me in mind of a book by Andre Norton called Quag keep in which d
Dungeons and Dragons players' characters find themselves in a real fantasy world. None the worse for that. I shall continue reading the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual book I go for but really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down, 24 Jan. 2015
Not the usual book I go for but really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down, Well worth a read even if you are not a gamer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended Sci-Fi Fantasy, 26 Sept. 2013
'Feyland: The Dark Realm' is the story of Jennet who is in danger of dying after playing a virtual reality game that might actually be a doorway into a world where magic exists and a dark queen reigns.

This book is so well written and easy to read. I read it really quickly, not wanting to put it down; the likeable characters and believable scenarios just totally immersed me in the story. Jennet's only hope for survival is to get a champion to save her soul. She finds this in gamer Tam, but he has his own problems and doesn't totally believe her when she tells him what's happening to her. Although I was tense about what was happening to Jennet, it was Tam's story that really got my sympathy; it was realistic and pretty heart-wrenching.

I liked the combination of fantasy and sci-fi, and I thought the idea was unique and very well executed. The characters were great and their stories believable. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy, sci-fi, or YA books.