on 29 December 2013
I used this once so far - a trip to a downhill mountain biking race on a hideously wet & muddy autumn day.

It kept my DSLR (a Nikon D3200 with 18/55 & 55/300) bone dry right through the day, however it is very difficult to use the LCD screen & obviously quite impossible to use the viewfinder, so a degree of guesswork was involved in changing settings as conditions changed rapidly. I did employ my fiancée to hold a golf umbrella over us to keep the worst of the rain off, especially when trying to alter settings..
This cover also is suited to larger lenses (between 200 & 300 was fine, but anything less & I was continuously struggling to keep it in place behind the hood. If using a flash gun, I'd recommend fitting it before you venture out as it can be fiddly to do outside.

Not perfect, but hey, for the money, a very happy purchase - it ensured my DSLR survived a very wet day out!
A neat and uncomplicated item - once you work out the best way to drape it over your camera, lens, flash and top of the tripod. That process may appear to be so simple it needs no mention at all but this item comes with NO instructions whatsoever - not even the best way of cleaning it or servicing the zips, and that for an important item you will only use in bad weather!

Let me be quite clear, this cover appears to be well made and straight-forward as far as overall use is concerned. It is, however, an item which will ONLY be used in inclement weather and for that reason, once purchased, is likely to be put away (and forgotten) until needed. The lack of simple instructions, therefore, will not be at hand when the user is struggling to assemble and protect expensive camera, lens, flash and fit them all to a tripod in the rain.

May I suggest, therefore, you download and print a copy of the item in use - as shown in this or other, similar, advertisements, and place that picture in your camera bag so that you have a ready-reference when needed. A reminder to completely clean and dry the item immediately after use might also be useful for some...

I hope this helps and that the makers are taking notes!

NM
on 28 June 2013
So, I knew this was going to be a bit big for my dslr (Nikon D5100 with 18-105mm lens) anyway, so it's no ideal for my camera, I'm not going to rate it down because of that specifically.

However, I have seen other rain covers used on smaller cameras without much trouble, so I thought I would be ok. This one, however, is made from a plastic that really isn't very flexible, so unless your camera and lens are the exact size it was designed for, you are going to struggle to keep it waterproof.

I also find that the drawstrings are not really man enough. I find I want to really tighten them up around the end of the lens to keep out as much water as possible. The sliders on these drawstrings just can't keep them really tight, whatever size of lens you have.

It has a bit on top to allow you to use a flash, which is useful, but when you're not using the flash it essentially becomes another hole for the rain to get in. And it's quite a lot of spare plastic to have flapping around when you're not using the flash.

Final gripe is that I bought this cover specifically because it protected the whole camera (including the lcd and viewfinder). But the plastic is nowhere near clear enough to use either the viewfinder or the lcd through it, both appear quite blurred. This gets even worse when the cover inevitably steams up from the heat of your hands. If I was to buy another cover I would buy one which clips around the viewfinder so you can look through the viewfinder without having to look through the cover.

3 stars as even with the exact camera and lens used in the picture, I wouldn't feel confident that it would be waterproof enough, but then it is quite cheap so I guess it's ok for emergency use.
on 15 May 2012
A friend of mine in the states bought something very similar to this and I liked the look of it so thought id get one, found this seriously cheap version on here and went for it. When it was delivered I was surprised by the quality as it is very well made and would easily rival the $70 version my friend bought.
on 15 October 2012
This all started after I got caught out during a stormy day at a certain oval racing circuit in Essex. My camera box got flooded and one of my two cameras (my youngest one!) was trashed, though my old Nikon D40 survived. Well, I decided that I wanted to keep it that way, at least until the end of the season! Getting a new camera at this point... well, I started looking around for a camera cover.

My colleagues in the world of motor racing photography use all sorts of things with varying degrees of success. One uses what could be described as a couple of plastic bags gaffered onto the camera! Well, I saw this on offer and jumped at it. It seems to do its job well, including giving you the means to handle the camera without getting your hands wet. There are only two down sides that I've been able to find so far. First, the cover doesn't provide access for the eyepiece, so you have to look through the back cover which can give a distorted view. Second, it's really built for longer lenses. My 70-300mm (a Sigma) would fit quite nicely into the cover but I get a lot more use from my shorter 18-200mm (also a Sigma) for which I have to fold the lens sleeve back on itself for it to fit. I wouldn't try anything shorter than that! I've yet to try the flash sleeve, though I suspect that it might be tricky to fit my SB600 in there.

Certainly shutting the stable door, but for the price being charged here, I'll be OK with it.
on 21 May 2013
really good piece of equipment - have used a plastic bag but that does look a bit naff!!! good piece of kit
on 18 December 2014
The cover looks cheap but hopefully it will be reliably strong. It comes in a flat bag with no label and no instructions. Finding out how to use it won't take long nonetheless it might have been nice to have something to read. The T shaped bag is tight especially in the lens sleeve, making it hard to zoom or focus by hand. The diameter of the sleeve is good but won't let you use huge lenses, this means the 300 f4 is probably the biggest lens that will fit into this plastic channel.
on 3 March 2012
I purchased this as I knew that I was going to be taking some shots on a wet day. (Mud fun run) I found it quite easy to use and I am happy knowing that it is in my bag if ever I need it.
on 1 April 2016
easy to use and fully protects the camera the 2 hand sleves work well and you can controll your settings with ease. the clear main body makes using the camer so simle I have used this a few times now and love it
on 23 October 2014
Really happy with this nice and roomy, not really suitable for shorter lenses as it has difficulty folding up on the lens part, best used for a 75-300mm length lens, but still very good.

See one answered question