5.0 out of 5 stars What do oranges and The Key have to do with the end of the world?
The Key is Simon Toyne's second instalment in the Sancti Trilogy and this book definitely does not disappoint. It's fast paced, thrilling and suspense builds with every page.
The book picks up after Liv and Gabriel broke into the Citadel and releases the Sacrament and concludes two weeks after that event. With the Sacrament gone, the Sanctus members are suffering...
Published on 10 May 2013 by BookBunny

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the first book.
I kept willing this book to live up to expectations after reading Sanctus, but sadly it did not. It's very unlike me to take longer than 2 weeks to read a book, but this just showcases how little a page turner The Key actually is. As much as I wanted to know what happened to the characters, the sheer far fetchedness and improbability of events meant I kept putting the...
Published 23 months ago by Alicia

‹ Previous | 1 2 339 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept my attention, 29 April 2013
Brilliant! it was a very interesting read and I could not wait for the next book to be released as it kept my attention at all times.
I was impressed with the delivery time as the book was delivered before Amazon's recommended date.

4.0 out of 5 stars just as thrilling..., 8 Dec. 2013
After the events of 'Sanctus', Liv wakes up in hospital. She hears voices inside her head whispering in ancient tongues. An earthquake hits Ruin and the monks of the Citadel start falling prey to mysterious disease. Soon Liv in on the run with the Catholic Church chasing her as well as the Sancti. Reunited with Gabriel Mann Liv must travel to a remote part of Northern Iraq to fulfil her destiny and save the world.

Written like that it sounds complete and utter hokum - which, to honest, The Key is. However a rapid pace and original thought make this series of books absolutely gripping and great, lightweight reading for a winter's afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! I hope that there's another like this on the way, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Key (Kindle Edition)
A worthy successor to 'Sanctus' which carries the story on. It's fast paced and totally fascinating as it roams through artefacts, constellations, seriously BIG bad guys and a superhero - and all with NO bad language. A gem of a book but DO NOT on any account read this before 'Sanctus' or your brain will turn to jelly. Having read Simon Toyne's notes at the back of this book about the loneliness of an author's life.......sorry, but selfishly I hope that he is already closeted in his garret scribbling furiously on book 4; and that is before I have even read book 3 'The Tower'.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Key (Kindle Edition)
I am half way through the book and so far it is living up to my expectations. The first book was great, a good mix between fiction, loosely based on facts, and adventure and action with a hint of real life everyday emotions and romance added to the mix for good measure. Although the main story is based on religion I would not say that this was a book about religion, the religion is there but in the background and when it is at the forefront of the story the writer still manages to draw your attention to the human aspect of what is happening within the religious storyline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up book just a bit too long., 13 April 2015
This review is from: The Key (Kindle Edition)
Having read Sanctus I immediately downloaded the follow book. I left it a while before reading the sequel and found that the author eased us into the story, recapping nicely what had happened previously to get you up to speed.
The story continues at a fair pace that keeps you wanting to turn pages.
Having short chapters helps as well so you can put the book down and resume at a convenient point.
The only downside I found with this book was it was a bit padded out and could have been a 100 pages or so shorter without loosing any of the plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling and imaginative, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Key (Kindle Edition)
I was only a third into the first book Sanctus when I bought the next two - riveting suspenseful exciting - all of these. Brilliant descriptions and use of language in excellent English - a real treat to read given the poor standards of proofreading of many Kindle books. Like many others I was so intrigued by Ruin (a clever play on the inspiration of the citadel) that I googled it to find it only existed in the author's imagination.

Only regret is that I cannot find anything else to read by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Key (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the first book Sanctus, I loved the second book. Toyne has managed to continue this enthralling spectacle following Liv Adamson who wakes up in a hospital remembering very little of what happened previously. The story intertwines with that of the monks, the ghost, Gabriel Mann (who finds himself at the start in prison) and others. Toyne also introduces a strange disease that may be linked to trees-the first symptom is smelling oranges. This is a must read for anyone who liked sanctus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel to Sanctus, 17 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Key (Kindle Edition)
Excellent sequel to Sanctus. Like the Sanctus, I could not put this one down. I love the way that Simon Toyne writes lots of short chapters - it enables the reader to keep tabs on all the action in different places, without having to look back to previous long chapters. The action keeps moving swiftly. I am not going to spoil things for other readers by retelling the plot here - suffice it to say that I am now looking forward to reading the last in the series - The Tower.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simon toyne, 3 May 2015
This review is from: The Key (Kindle Edition)
The book was excellent in all ways. I enjoyed it from first to last. But... I think you should stop selling parts two three and four of both this book and the first book Sanctus, as though they have something more to offer. They don't. They are a repeat of Separate chapters of the same books and you are charging customers for this. If I personally do not see these other books removed, I will have to bring it to the attention of Trading Standards. Liz.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great thrilling read, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Key (Kindle Edition)
I gave the Key such a high rating because I really enjoyed the mystery and tension that was developed by the author Simon Toyne. This book is brilliantly written, and the development of the characters is great.
If you enjoyed the Da Vinci Code then this is the book for you. I actually prefer this book over the da vinci code. It is great to have a strong female lead. I am currently reading the second installment and is hasn't disappointed so far.

‹ Previous | 1 2 339 | Next ›