Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 20 May 2012
I bought this book for my self & loved it now my teenagers are reading it.. it was so exciting & gripping I couldnt put it down so within three days I had read it,it made me smile & cry with joy I felt like I could some how relate to the story my self..... :)
on 29 April 2012
I love the dog in this and Cally is such a great character. She doesn't talk throughout the whole book, but she still makes a best friend and saves her family from falling to bits. I did cry when I found out what happened at the end. '
on 22 October 2012
I too bought this for my 10 year old grandaughter and started to read it myself, I could not put it down. Several hours later I finished the book and I hadn't guessed the end either!! I loved the story and hope that the message it clearly makes about the healing powers of love and friendship are not missed by readers. Working in the field of grief support this story is just as relevant to bereaved adults as to the child in the story. This child stopped speaking because nobody believed what she was experiencing, adults stop speaking the truth about how they feel because few can understand the unspeakable pain that consumes them after loss. I would wish a friend like Homeless or Sam for every bereaved person, unwavering,non-jugemental,unconditional support and love.
on 26 April 2012
This book is sensitive, funny, sad and beautiful. I couldn't put the book down once I'd started reading it. Beautifully written and illustrated. I would highly recommend this book to children and adults alike, and look forward to reading any further books by Sarah Lean.
on 2 March 2014
Although I reckon this book is aimed at children and teenagers this 66 yr old couldn't put it down. A sad yet heart warming story that proves there is good in all of us. I downloaded this book on the back of reading" Shadow" about a dog, in war torn Afghanistan, which was recommended by my partner - another tear jerker. 5***** for both of them.
on 10 November 2012
How much do I love this book? It's a delicious piece of writing, warm and emotional without being schmaltzy or manipulative. I'm pretty confident that it's the only book that both my daughters (aged 9 and 14) and I have all read within a short space of time and all loved. I think it was on the teen shelves, and it was the 14 yr old who asked for it and devoured it very quickly, telling me that I should read it. Then when I did, I realised that it was labelled as 9+ (thankfully the teen hadn't noticed that...) and the younger one had it off me quick as a flash. I think a single book appealing to both my girls at the same time is pretty unusual and goes to show how fab this book is: gentle enough for a 9 yr old, yet also enough to sustain a teen's interest. Pretty damn impressive, I would say!

The novel is narrated by Cally, who tells us in a statement preceding the first chapter that she hasn't spoken for 31 days. Her narration is pitch-perfect and gives us privileged access to all her thoughts and feelings, even as she's stopped sharing them with anyone else in her life. Poor Cally is mourning the loss of her mother a year ago, and struggling particularly with her father's awkward adult response of never talking about her. She sees a vision of her mother, but no-one believes her, and then the wonderful dog (a silver wolfhound, no less) enters her life. This dog, being huge, is not always welcomed by everyone else, and her teachers and her father particularly don't want it hanging around.

The plot moves along effectively, with all aspects of Cally's life - home, school, family, friends - explored and changed in the course of the novel. I think Sarah Lean captured Cally's grief and its effects on her beautifully, allowing us to share Cally's feelings without being overwhelmed by them. The grief is there, but this is no wallowy book. Instead, it's an optimistic read which offers up hope in the form of friendship, as well as the comforting subtext that adults aren't always automatically right.

Overall, I cannot recommend this highly enough. Just read it, ok? :)
on 13 June 2012
My 7 year old daughter has polished this off over the last week and found it very hard to put down, to the point where we've had to physically remove it from her most evenings to stop her reading too late. A sweet and in parts sad story of a young girl and a wolfhound and a dad who is struggling to get over his wife's death. Short chapters, so good for reading together a bit at a time.
on 31 July 2012
An uplifting, deceptively powerful story that takes the reader through a heart-stopping array of emotions. Sarah Lean's uncomplicated and pacy writing style had me devouring this Kindle purchase within a couple of days. The author tackles some difficult issues in a sensitive yet original way and manages to rouse compassion for all the characters. A Dog called Homeless is a fabulous read for all ages. It made me smile, made me cry....result! Highly recommended.
on 20 August 2012
I bought this book for my 10 year old daughter to give her more a variety and a break from Jacqueline Wilson. I did right as my daughter loved it right from start to end...she said I now have to read it as she feels I would love it too and I have to agree. Lovely storyline and my daughter asked me could I get more books by Sarah...hopefully she will have another one out soon ...great first novel.
on 24 August 2012
I bought this for a ten year old, had a quick look, and did not want to put it down! This really is a lovely story, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, bereavement is dealt with sensitively, and a thread of hope runs right through the story. The illustrations are beautiful, all in all an uplifting read.